Essential Beck albums?

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Essential Beck albums?

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Or rank 'em, whatever. I've always liked the songs I've heard from him on the radio or through friends, but for whatever reason he's one of the only good artists left in America that I haven't really checked for. I don't own a single album, so for now I wanna grab maybe one or two essentials and then go from there.

READY GO
Last edited by Rachel Hobozal on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

twob

Post by twob »

Well, you could start with Mellow Gold, like most people did. I used to own that, I don't know what happened to it. I remember Odelay and Midnight Vultures being alright. Guerro was okay, I listened to it for a couple days.

He's a fucking scientologist, what a shame.
Last edited by twob on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
how about you ease up on the hotdogs?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

twob wrote:Well, you could start with Mellow Gold, like most people did. I used to own that, I don't know what happened to it. I remember Odelay and Midnight Vultures being alright. Guerro was okay, I listened to it for a couple days.
So you're not a very big fan I take it?

twob

Post by twob »

Cleanhobo wrote:
twob wrote:Well, you could start with Mellow Gold, like most people did. I used to own that, I don't know what happened to it. I remember Odelay and Midnight Vultures being alright. Guerro was okay, I listened to it for a couple days.
So you're not a very big fan I take it?
Hit or miss. He's got some dope shit, he's also got some songs that I just can't get down with.
how about you ease up on the hotdogs?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

People wont like these rankings, but you know I have your best interests in mind.

1. Midnite Vultures
2. Odelay
3. Sea Change
4. Mellow Gold
5. Mutations
6. One Foot In The Grave
7. Guero
8. The shitty one with Rowboat on it

I have yet to listen to the new one.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

blastmaster wrote:People wont like these rankings, but you know I have your best interests in mind.

1. Midnite Vultures
2. Odelay
3. Sea Change
4. Mellow Gold
5. Mutations
6. One Foot In The Grave
7. Guero
8. The shitty one with Rowboat on it

I have yet to listen to the new one.
I do know this, sir. Thanks.

Didn't he have an album produced by the Dust Brothers?

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

1. Odelay <----- produced by Dust Brothers
2. Sea Change
3. Mutations
4. Midnite Vultures
5. Mellow Gold

my rankings. mutations is a sleeper.

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

blastmaster wrote:Sea Change
this is the only beck album i can tolerate.

sneed

Post by sneed »

Sea Change is BY FAR my personal favorite when it comes to Beck's albums

it's unlike anything he ever did. Or anyone else has to be honest. It's very much a toned down, trippy, country infused album with layers of lush reverb. I actually got heavily into it by putting it on before I went to bed. It's probably the perfect album for doing so.

Also take note that Beck's recording contract allows/ed him to release independant albums while still signed to Geffen, which enabled him to release: Stereopathic Soulmanure & One Foot in the Grave. AND as most of you may not know, Mutations was recorded as an independant release as well for inbetween Odelay and Midnight Vultures but the label snatched it up and put it out as a mainstream release against Beck's wishes (he sued the label and it got hazy after that)

So to round up my Beck releases:

1.Sea Change
2.Odelay!
3.Mellowgold
4-6. and I can't make up my mind between The Information, Midnight Vultures or Guero, I take them hand in hand and love them all the same.
7. Mutations

Deadguy

Post by Deadguy »

I put that song asshole from one foot in the grave on a mix cd recently , it is a pretty good song.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I like Sea Change and Midnite Vultures fairly equally. I dig the unabashed funkiness of MV a whole lot.

marinville

Post by marinville »

sneed wrote:Image
this is the only one I've heard in full.

I'm not really crazy about it.

the first three track are good (the first two I really like...alot)

it kinda falls off after that, imo, and I generally catch the zzz's and put something else in.

some chick

Post by some chick »

i tend to really love most all beck albums when they first come out, listen to them a ton, and then overdo it and never want to listen to them again for a long while.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Last night a good friend of mine called me. He said "I'm going to a Beck concert with Michel Gondry." Whoa.

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

NONE

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

essential? i'd say it starts and ends with odelay, but it says a lot about an artist to just make one essential album. there aren't many artists with the versatility of beck, so these rankings are based on my impression of quality though the albums encompass a wide range of genres, moods, whatever.

1. odelay
2. mutations
3. midnite vultures
4. sea change
5. mellow gold
6. one foot in the grave
7. guero
8. the information

i'm gonna say stereopathic soul manure and guerolito don't count.

it was only recently that beck began rehashing old ideas to make new music and it hasn't worked for him. starting with guero, where many songs sound like half-assed odelay b-sides, though there are a couple of gems. and anyway, odelay b-sides, even half-assed, is not completely a bad thing. guero is a nice listen and it's also his first album produced by the dust brothers since odelay (which makes a lot of sense). i think guerolito should be disregarded. on the new album the information, many of the songs sound like half-assed guero b-sides and a couple make me want to puke (think i'm in love). once again, a couple gems, he's too talented not to produce a couple gems. on the bright side, the information is a more cohesive 'album' than guero. but for me the songs just aren't there, and this is all mostly stuff i've heard from him before. if i'm being too hard on it (and guero) it's because i used to look forward to a new beck album almost more than any other artist because he always gave me something new, and further stretched the bounds of his talent by fucking with basically every genre under the sun while still keeping certain things intact. when i first heard the information i was like 'oh okay.'

ahem.

:didntread:

so yeah, start with odelay.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Midnight VULTURES is ILLmatic.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Midnight Vultures is underrated as hell. "Milk and Honey" is one of the best ironic glam/space funk rock songs ever recorded. Midnight Vultures, Odelay, and Sea Change are all essential.

1)Midnight Vultures and Odelay
3)Sea Change
4)Mellow Gold
5)Guerro
6)Mutations
7)One Foot in the Grave (worth buying for several incredible folk songs. Has a lot of filler though).

bent

Post by bent »

Guerolito is my most played non(semi?)hiphop album.