Favorite Modern R and B artist

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

theaggravatedjew

Favorite Modern R and B artist

Post by theaggravatedjew »

I nominate Anthony Hamilton and Alicia Keys

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

D'Angelo. Lock thread.

theaggravatedjew

Icesickle wrote:D'Angelo. Lock thread.
D Angelo hasnt done anything in a while........... but he does make great music

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Joy Denalane and John Legend.

theaggravatedjew

blastmaster wrote:Joy Denalane and John Legend.
Whose Joy Denalane? I think Legend is overrated, he is just boring to me.... I dl'd his new album but havent listened, has he improved.

mud

Post by mud »

dude from "war" by nas is probably the only time i could stomach an rnb singer in years
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

theaggravatedjew wrote:
blastmaster wrote:Joy Denalane and John Legend.
Whose Joy Denalane? I think Legend is overrated, he is just boring to me.... I dl'd his new album but havent listened, has he improved.
Joy is a German bitch. Raekwon is on her single. I made a thread a while back that bricked.

I didnt like John Legend's first album that much at all. The new one is pretty incredible.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Robert Kelly on the strength of "Trapped in the Closet"

theaggravatedjew

^^ I know thats jokes, but R kelly is capable of creating epic and timeless songs

I also forgot Joss Stone (dont hate because she is white the girl can Sang)

citizen

Post by citizen »

i was actually just gonna make a thread about how r&b is dead. alicia keys is pretty good, occasionally jill scott, but the last r&b song i really liked was fast lane

and i really dont ever check for anything though, so it maybe my fault. anyone have any recommendations?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Joy Denalane ft. Raekwon- Heaven or Hell (Video)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A9JK_nPcQaw& ... ed&search=

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

^She's got a dope voice. I wondered why Rae reused that sample, didn't realise it was for her album.
theaggravatedjew wrote:^^ I know thats jokes, but R kelly is capable of creating epic and timeless songs
Ummm...Would I setting myself up for a beating if I said I thought Trapped in the Closet was genuinely creative and entertaining? Cuz for once I wasn't being sarcastic, it takes balls to do something left of field like that and still continue to do more traditional material (well...relatively speaking).

I guess if seriousness is a factor, I'd go with Erykah Badu or Jill Scott. I tend to dislike a lot of pop-R&B where the vocals are really processed so despite the negative pub, neo-soul isn't a problem for me.

I still have to check out Beyonce and Mary's last albums though. I'm honestly not completely up on my R&B-game.

theaggravatedjew

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:^She's got a dope voice. I wondered why Rae reused that sample, didn't realise it was for her album.
theaggravatedjew wrote:^^ I know thats jokes, but R kelly is capable of creating epic and timeless songs
Ummm...Would I setting myself up for a beating if I said I thought Trapped in the Closet was genuinely creative and entertaining? Cuz for once I wasn't being sarcastic, it takes balls to do something left of field like that and still continue to do more traditional material (well...relatively speaking).

I guess if seriousness is a factor, I'd go with Erykah Badu or Jill Scott. I tend to dislike a lot of pop-R&B where the vocals are really processed so despite the negative pub, neo-soul isn't a problem for me.

I still have to check out Beyonce and Mary's last albums though. I'm honestly not completely up on my R&B-game.
I think the trapped in the closet series is hillarious, never would have even fathomed the possibility that you were serious about that though. Mary always has a strong voice, I listened to B day once and havent had any desire to listen again.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Legend, no question.

AthenA

Post by AthenA »

right now...John Legend, Bilal, Eric Roberson and Lizz Fields. Darien Brockington's EP gets alot of play, but not so much the LP.

Peace!

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Philaflava wrote:Legend, no question.

wheels

Post by wheels »

theaggravatedjew wrote:
Funk Docta Bombay wrote:^She's got a dope voice. I wondered why Rae reused that sample, didn't realise it was for her album.

I think the trapped in the closet series is hillarious, never would have even fathomed the possibility that you were serious about that though. Mary always has a strong voice, I listened to B day once and havent had any desire to listen again.
Trapped in the closet is great, man...

You gotta love it for what it is.

theaggravatedjew

blastmaster wrote:Joy Denalane ft. Raekwon- Heaven or Hell (Video)

i like her voice alot, thanks for the knowledge

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

John Legend
Sharon Jones
Georgia Anne Muldrow
Joy Denalane
Anthony Hamilton
Amel Larrieux
Joss Stone
Corinne Bailey Rae

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Post by Sebastian gets busy »

Kalel wrote:Image

and india aire
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Random Sample wrote:John Legend
Sharon Jones
Georgia Anne Muldrow
Joy Denalane
Anthony Hamilton
Amel Larrieux
Joss Stone
Corinne Bailey Rae
thanks for the list
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

aside from a few of those mentioned, i really dug musiq's first two lps (the second in particular). wasn't feeing most of his last one though.

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

i aGREE about musiq, glen lewis wasnt too bad either

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Akon

Thun

Post by Thun »

blastmaster wrote:Joy Denalane ft. Raekwon- Heaven or Hell (Video)

Cot-damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's how you make a good ol' sangy song.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

the only acceptable answer is Anthony Hamilton

theaggravatedjew

neoteric wrote:the only acceptable answer is Anthony Hamilton
Agreed, see first post

Jennie C
FUCK YOU REGGIEBIRD

Post by Jennie C »

R Kelly can do no wrong. He sings about tossing salads, cheating, every practically unimaginable thing and the masses still love it. I don't know how he does it, but he's on another level.
hopps wrote:i also think mindbender wastes way too much time on this message board. i think he should never come here again. seriously, man.