Anyone Else Hit Up Libraries for CDs / DVDs?

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

cascarrabias

Anyone Else Hit Up Libraries for CDs / DVDs?

Post by cascarrabias »

Today I walked away with

The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
Prince - Dirty Mind
John Lennon - Mind Games
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Don Rickles - Hello Dummy!
Tangerine Dream - Exit
Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth
The Black Keys - Chulahoma
The Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle

And DVDs

Amarcord
In the Mood for Love
Open City

citizen

Post by citizen »

nice idea

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

i did but i got a 50 dollar fine outstanding now from keeping dvds a couple weeks past the due dat. To make it even more annoying I didnt watch one dvd and the other dvd was about seinfeld prepping for a show and not funny at all. Sucks, those bastards jewed me big time. Im not sure how it works in your hood, but around these parts you can search online and have any title taken to the library closest to you. This is how I got my gill scott heron and alot of boxed sets. Fuck a library fine!

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

This is where I get all my DVDs. The libraries here are part of a network. I go online, pick out the DVDs that I want, and have them sent to the nearest one, then I drive down the street and pick them up. They have everything too.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

hold on so public libraries have cd and dvd sections that you can just go and take out for free as long as you have a library card??

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

DVDs

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

ChristPuncher wrote:hold on so public libraries have cd and dvd sections that you can just go and take out for free as long as you have a library card??
Smart ass.

Usually downtown libraries have really, really great CD / DVD selection. The Cincinnati one has tons of Criterions and an unreal Jazz CD section.

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

cascarrabias wrote:
ChristPuncher wrote:hold on so public libraries have cd and dvd sections that you can just go and take out for free as long as you have a library card??
Smart ass.

Usually downtown libraries have really, really great CD / DVD selection. The Cincinnati one has tons of Criterions and an unreal Jazz CD section.
CP. Yeah. It's 7 days free, $1 a day late fee where I'm at.

My library is a huge new shiny $21,000,000 building that's only three years old. It's got a huge selection of DVDs and VHS tapes. A lot of indy films. More indy films than any video rental store in the neighborhood. A lot of classic B&W films that can't be found at a rental store, either.

Plus, on their website, I can get on waiting lists w/ a 6 day hold for DVDs that are out but I want to see. They ship the DVD to either of the three city branches for easy pick-up.

Plus.... they have books.
ImageImage
ImageImage

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

cascarrabias wrote:
Smart ass.

I wasn't being sarcastic

guess I'm just an idiot. I seriously never knew you could do this. I don't even know if I have a library card anymore but I might head downtown to see what they have tommorow.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

ChristPuncher wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:
Smart ass.

I wasn't being sarcastic

guess I'm just an idiot. I seriously never knew you could do this. I don't even know if I have a library card anymore but I might head downtown to see what they have tommorow.
Well get to it duder. You live in Connecticut right? Don't take this the wrong way but rich white people areas have the absolute best libraries. There are probably TONS of great CDs and DVDs sitting there waiting to be burned and ripped.

T-Rex knows what's up.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

yeah man, libraries are the only way to go when renting DVDs

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

There's no fine or anything for scuffing the shit out of the cds and dvds?
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

habit

Post by habit »

yeah libraries have fucking excellent rare finds despite a shoddy overall selection. my friend used to work in the shipping warehouse of the king county (seattle area) library and he always had the dopest movies a la original version DVD of 'last tango in paris' which he stole

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

habit wrote:yeah libraries have fucking excellent rare finds despite a shoddy overall selection.
So true. Especially the music section. Sometimes it takes forever to find something worth borrowing.

DVDs and VHS usually isn't that bad.

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

This thread put me in a Library rentin' mood

For DVDs I picked up:

Amarcord
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Dekalog

While I was there I was looking at the bargain books, thinking about how it's always crap when I spotted Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood." Got it for a buck, hardcover.

Your tax dollars at work!

Jennie C
FUCK YOU REGGIEBIRD

Post by Jennie C »

My father's been doing this for years. He takes out as many as he can at a time, sometimes up to 10, and burns them or puts them in iTunes. He's gotten hundreds of albums for free this way and argues that since his taxes go towards funding the library, he isn't violating any fair use doctrines of the Home Recording Act of 1990. I'm surprised the RIAA doesn't just forbid libraries to buy cds/dvds.
hopps wrote:i also think mindbender wastes way too much time on this message board. i think he should never come here again. seriously, man.