Dubstep / Grime at the end of '06

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

tpp

Dubstep / Grime at the end of '06

Post by tpp »

Now that Grime Is Dead UK media focus seems to have moved onto Dubstep as the Next Big Thing in music (that doesn't involve indie bands wearing really stupid clothes). What are peoples opinions on this?

As far as Grime goes I think like most people I've lost touch a bit - even the most involved people in this scene are admitting that it's momentum seems to have come to a halt. What the fuck happened here? Was it the lack of any independent machinery to release this stuff or did the people making it just not get what was good about it? The only thing I've heard in the last few months that was any good was the Plasticman Cha Vocal but that's been around since last year (anyone who has this to upload please do so). There was a Newham Generals mixtape instead of an album - did anyone hear this that can comment?

Dubstep, on the other hand, has really raised it's profile. I really enjoyed the Burial album and a couple of tunes:
Digital Mystikz - Anti-War Dub was fucking heavy
Skull Disco - all of these releases but in particular 'Blood on my hands'

I still find the majority of it a snoozefest - I can't seem to listen to any of the Dubstep Allstars mixes all the way through and I can't listen to more that 2 minutes of anything involving that fucking Spaceape. The Skream album felt like a massive let down to me - just a bunch of songs thrown together.

DISCUSS

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I feel that a lack of focus with the majority of Grime artists meant it just ran out of steam. They had a flurry of media attention but they all lacked the savvy/motivation to actually turn this into money. I think Grime was always best in the pirate radio format (or in a club, which I never experienced) but if you're in effect giving this away for free on radio or on the web and seeing no returns for your time and effort then you're bound to just fuck it off.

Plus very few people are actually buying the records, just ripping them off MySpace so they can blare them out of their Nokias on the back on the number 8.

Also, I reckon the Dizzee Rascal album (which pretty much introduced Grime to mainstream media right?) set the bar at a weird place and set peoples expectations quite high. I don't think 'Boy In The Corner' was really a typical Grime record - it was really slick, the sound was quite experimental, it was really well marketed and distributed and, unlike almost anything since, it was really consistent. People were expecting more albums like that and they never came, but this is where labels like Hyperdub can clean up.

And what about that Crazy Titch guy?!

tpp

Post by tpp »

Y@k Bollocks wrote: People were expecting more albums like that and they never came, but this is where labels like Hyperdub can clean up.
... as long as they loose the "wake-up-in-the-morning-and-i-have-a-cup-of-tea-praise-jah" Spaceape vocals on top of everything

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

tpp wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote: People were expecting more albums like that and they never came, but this is where labels like Hyperdub can clean up.
... as long as they loose the "wake-up-in-the-morning-and-i-have-a-cup-of-tea-praise-jah" Spaceape vocals on top of everything
Yeah - that guy is so irritating.

binary

Post by binary »

Compared to Grime, this stuff bores me to tears for some reason. The grime I liked had a frenetic pace and atmosphere that I loved though. I'm hoping the grime dudes are just in the lab getting there stuff organized and preparing to make real albums instead of just a bunch of mixtapes here and there.

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

binary wrote:Compared to Grime, this stuff bores me to tears for some reason. The grime I liked had a frenetic pace and atmosphere that I loved though
Agreed...

I'd imagine if i were younger i'd be all over it. It's just to much work keeping your finger on the pulse and staying up on whats hot. The Grime stuff that i listened to was always recommended to me by a bunch of Essex scallywags, or over heard through the walls of my dutty neighbour...

J-Murda

Post by J-Murda »

"Down South on vacation just this year a couple different people asked if I was Arab or Hispanic and I've got pulled away from security lines at airports the last two times I flied." - Icesickle

binary

Post by binary »

I used to think Grime was teh gay until I heard some of the more talented dudes over some of those crazy beats that made me go :ohsh:

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Def Jux won but the spirit of grime lives on in mecca of street culture known as The Works.

Murkle men 4 life

tpp

Post by tpp »

see me on road pushin A Lex
we aint pet to shank mandem wha get vex

dynamite looks

Post by dynamite looks »

I've always liked Wiley and I'm kinda anticipating his Big Dada record..

tpp

Post by tpp »

Ruff Sqwad running tings in the 06

WHUT WHUT WHUT WHUT WHUT WHUT WHUT

Sut07

Post by Sut07 »

i got turned onto some dubstep by a dnb head and shit was not what i expected. i guess i thought it would be ragga w/less drums but it just seemed like a mess to me. i'm used to listening to inperspective, paradox, ragga shit, RAW, soundmurderer but the digital mystikz i heard sounded like straight garbage. am i missing something? is dubstep even vaguely connected to dnb? are there better examples?