Zeppelin vs Sabbath

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Better Band?

Black Sabbath
41%
Led Zeppelin
59%

Total votes: 41

Masked Terror #1

Zeppelin vs Sabbath

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

The War Pigs thread got me thinking about this little showdown.

While I have infinite respect for Sabbath, to me, calling them a better band than Zeppelin is laughable.

Zeppelin released six consecutive uncontestably classic albums. Sabbath had three tops and even those have some sub-par moments.

While Sabbath made immeasuarble advances and contributions to rock in terms of tone, vibe, heaviness and imagery, it's hard to argue that their actual songwriting or playing was anywhere near what Zeppelin was doing. Sabbath songs, even the great ones, are big, heavy riffs repeated over and over. A lot of their vocal and guitar parts follow the same dah-dum-dah-dah-dah-dum patterns and they generally lack the layering, melodic elements and multi-part structures of most of Zeppelin's work.

Obviously Plant and Ozzy are two of the all time great frontmen. Iommi is a living legend, but he doesn't really compare to Paige in terms of sheer technical ability or the scope of his songwriting imagination (epic hard rock, hypnotic ballads, crunchy blues, country, etc). And Bill Ward could never hope to stand up to Bonham, arguably rock's greatest and certainly most influential drummer (pretty much the first to bring the drums to the forefront of a rock band).

Two of the best that ever did it, for sure, but to my ear, really only one legit contender for the number one slot.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

did not like Zep for the longest.
mainly because my school was full of redneck hoods that wouldn't listen to shit else.

so that turned me off em... I like Ozzy... Like Dio... Was a huge KISS Alice Cooper fan so I guess I was a fan of the more Glam/Evil/Satanic stuff up front...

and now I love some Zep (yeah I guess because of the Beastie samples I gave em a chance eventually)

I'd go with the Sabbath.. I have tons of records by both bands but Sabbath I'll listen to once in a while because I NEED to...

Not to mention: Is there a Zep song shorter than 5 hours long :grin:

Zep may be techniclly better.. But BlackSabbath is my personal fave of the two...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

you make a decent case for zep being better in the technical aspects, but sabbath wins me over on mood and feel alone

mods should make this a real poll
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Sabbath just rocks harder, no question.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

I'ma roll with Zepplin.
But where's the bassist comparison? Maybe Geezer had a more recognizable sound than JPJ, who was a venerable studio-hand before linking up with tha gawds.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Poll made. Led Zeppelin had infinitely more musical talent and technical creativity than Ozzy and Co. That said, I would rather listen to Sabbath any day though. That said, voted Led Zep.

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

no question, zeppelin in every respect. no slight to black sabbath but they're not on the same level with a top 5 band ever.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Zeppelin.

cascarrabias

Re: Zeppelin vs Sabbath

Post by cascarrabias »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:While I have infinite respect for Sabbath, to me, calling them a better band than Zeppelin is laughable.
Thank you. I agree.

Post by 360 »

Here's the thing, Sabbath had more influence in my life as I was growing up and such.

Now that i am older, however, and understand more about music, lyrics, and the over-all process of creating music, the fact is that Zep is superior, technically speaking.

Sabbath has this place in my heart that can't be taken over, though.

But, as I said, Led Zeppelin is superior. There is just no two ways around it.

Post by 360 »

blastmaster wrote:Poll made. Led Zeppelin had infinitely more musical talent and technical creativity than Ozzy and Co. That said, I would rather listen to Sabbath any day though.

Exactly

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

I voted Led Zeppelin.

I saw Ozzy at Ozzfest 99.
Two years later, I saw Sabbath, Pantera and Deftones!

Great performer. At ozzfest, There were water cannons on stage. Ozzy was getting soaked. His make-up was running and looked like a fragile old man in soggy clothing. But he still belted that shit out like a champ.

I've never seen Paige or Plant live. But... Led Zep's BBC sessions is one of my favorite albums. It's amazingly chill, but also rocks your ass off. I would've loved to have seen them live.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

As I stated in the other thread, I think Paranoid is better than any Led Zep album.

that said, when the careers are matched up, even excluding Ozzy's late 70's stuff and whatever they released post Dio, Zep wins on consistency alone. The only way I could vote for Sabbath is factoring touchy feely stuff like "influence" which I don't think anyone should give consideration to or give a shit about when comparing bands head to head.

So yeah, I voted for Zep overall.

No homo
Hoody Shankz

Post by No homo »

Sabbath, all day 'ey day

Deadguy

Post by Deadguy »

sabbath

mud

Post by mud »

blastmaster wrote:Poll made. Led Zeppelin had infinitely more musical talent and technical creativity than Ozzy and Co. That said, I would rather listen to Sabbath any day though. That said, voted Led Zep.
Masked Terror #1 wrote:it's hard to argue that their actual songwriting or playing was anywhere near what Zeppelin was doing.
sabbath have the better vocalist (BY FAR)...and guitarist, page is overrated as fuck)

definitely the best bassist too

i'll accept zeppelins drummer being better

And didn't zeppelin jack a fair amount of riffs????
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

zizek

Post by zizek »

I've heard that Page & Plant are offended that people ever compare Zepplin to Black Sabbath, since LZ were an extension of hardcore English rock blues (Yardbirds, Cream,etc.) and Sabbath were just a bunch of heavy metalers.
When we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.

mud

Post by mud »

surprised with the poll so far

in the GOAT group tourney zeppelin were 2nd to the beatles if i remember correctly, and had about 20 more votes than sabbath cd

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

No homo wrote:Sabbath, all day 'ey day

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I own very little by either band but Led Zeppelin win simply for not having any connection to Sharon, Kelly and Jack Osbourne.

Frankly, i prefer Bon Scott era AC/DC or classic line-up Danzig.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

tough one. i picked sabbath mainly because i dont get those 'chill' moments when i listen to zeppelin. i guess just a matter of personal taste but for me zep has more longevity and an overall larger catalogue of killer shit, but for my money there best shit doesnt touch sabbath's best shit. i never feel like a can knock down a building when i listen to led zep and i do when i listen to sabbath. that being said, i dont ever feel like i just want to fuck someone to sabbath.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

mud wrote: in the GOAT group tourney zeppelin were 2nd to the beatles if i remember correctly, and had about 20 more votes than sabbath cd
Yeah, but GOAT polls and favorites are completely different. Rakim easily won the GOAT poll but I'm relatively sure he's not everybody's personal favorite rapper.

Sabbath and Zep is the same thing. Zep is definitely "greater" to me, but as far as liking one better it's a toss up.

mud

Post by mud »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:
mud wrote: in the GOAT group tourney zeppelin were 2nd to the beatles if i remember correctly, and had about 20 more votes than sabbath cd
Yeah, but GOAT polls and favorites are completely different. Rakim easily won the GOAT poll but I'm relatively sure he's not everybody's personal favorite rapper.

Sabbath and Zep is the same thing. Zep is definitely "greater" to me, but as far as liking one better it's a toss up.
Hate this fucking logic

i'd wager that 90% of rakim voters listen to at least, 10 rappers more often than him

Masked Terror #1

Funny.

To me, Rakim is the all time great MC and I listen to his shit more than anyone else.

I think Zep is the greatest band ever, but I've listened to them so much previously that I rarely need to now.

Probably because for me there is a ton of great rock that is worthy of my attention that has come out since and I don't feel like any hip hop is really touching the Rakim/PE era.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote: And didn't zeppelin jack a fair amount of riffs????
TONS AND TONS, both them and the beatles were in litigation till the mid 80's or something over plagiarism

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

ok i went with sabbath but id say its a draw. technical abillity is not something that holds to much wieght for me.I think they were both equally great at creating distinct sounds. Ozzy is really one of a kind and plant is to but Plant is way over with now. Sabbath never got much radio play compared to Zep who are pretty much the classic rock poster boys.

youve got the golden hippie viking rock overlords and the dark warpigs conjuring deoms. the hobbits vs. the orcs

mud

Post by mud »

drizzle wrote:
TONS AND TONS, both them and the beatles were in litigation till the mid 80's or something over plagiarism
and how many times have their faggot ass fans dissed you for being a hip hop head?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote:
drizzle wrote:
and how many times have their faggot ass fans dissed you for being a hip hop head?
incredibly on point observation, i've heard this a lot in my life and i'm sure i'm not the only one

mud

Post by mud »

Is mixt ape a mod?

Masked Terror #1

mud wrote:Is mixt ape a mod?
No, I'm a rocker.