Clash of the Titans- 80s Metallica vs 80s Slayer

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

There Can Be Only One-

The Four Horsemen
62%
Slaytanic Wehrmacht
19%
That shit all sounds like noise to me, you hessian meatheads
19%

Total votes: 26

Masked Terror #1

Clash of the Titans- 80s Metallica vs 80s Slayer

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Who was better in their heyday?

or

Just including the classics here. Feel free to consider Metal Up Your Ass, Show No Mercy or Hell Awaits if that makes a difference to you.

This is as hard a call as there is for me musically.

Slayer is a much bigger part of my day-to-day life these days than Metallica is and I don't know many bigger Slayer fans than me. They are, in my opinion, metal perfected- refined to it's barest, most evil essentials. When I think of the sound of metal- I think 80s Slayer. They are the greatest metal band of all time. And they've managed not to tarnish their legacy too badly.

All that said, before Metallica was killed and replaced by body-snatching gay aliens, they managed to realease possibly the greatest four-album stretch in the history of rock (three for you Justice haters). To my ear, no one has ever matched 80s Metallica for writing huge, virtusoso songs that can only be described as epic. If you were ever a fan of these records, the riffs stay with you always. The shit they were doing back then was so good that no one, including them, has ever been able to take that style of playing any further- a problem for their fans and metal heads in general.

Not sure I'm doing a great job of explaining why, but for me, when it comes down to just comparing the classic records and leaving all the bullshit-to-come out of it, I have to go with Metallica. Few things have made as lasting and permanent impression on me as those four albums.

But it's really fucking close!

Post by 360 »

You're a bastard for even making me decide.

But, it's going to have to be Metallica for the rasons you already stated. It really can't be explained other than that. Metallica is epic. Plain and simple.

Slayer is something that is appreciated by people who love metal and various music coniseurs.

Metallica is appreciated by everyone.

P.S. People shouldn't hate ...and justice for all.

mud

Post by mud »

Was thinking of making the exact same poll today.

Overall Slayer are the better band , but when only counting the 80's that means The Black Album and everything after don't exist for Metallica, as well as Seasons In The Abyss not counting for Slayer....

It's probably Metallica so...
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

mud

Post by mud »

SITA was 1990...right MT?
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

slayer is a better band but i'm more sentimentally attached to metallica, way too many fun memories of young :rockout:
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, Seasons came out in 90, but I actually consider that the last year of the 80s.

I know that doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense, but if you think about it, the first decade went from the year 1AD to year 10AD (not that they actually started counting then, but you know what I mean). They didn't start with the year 0.

Yes, this made me a real buzzkill when everyone was like "Oooohh, the year 2000- the new millenium!"

Anyway, not trying to get into a big debate on calendar science- 80s was just shorthand for classic in this instance.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I hate Metallica. Never heard any of their albums and i can't name more than 3 songs by them but i can't stand those clowns, especially Hetfield, and they remind me of dirtbags in reebok and converse high-tops with the tongue pushed in front of their stonewashed jeans.

"Seasons in the abyss" is what's up and one of the few thrash albums i like. Owned "reign in blood" twice, swapped it once, lost it once, don't currently own it but i do rate it. I've haven't heard "south of heaven" in over 10 years and can't remember a single song from it.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

When I was in 8th grade I knew all the lyrics to any song off Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, or Justice. When I would jam with my metalhead friends we would always attempt to play "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Such an awesome riff. I remember getting the Master of Puppets tablature book for my birthday. And I'm still pissed at my mom for not letting me get the Metal Up Your Ass t-shirt.

Honestly, now, I listen to Slayer way more than Metallica.

But the question is "Who was better in their heyday?" Got to go with Metallica.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

cascarrabias wrote: Honestly, now, I listen to Slayer way more than Metallica.

But the question is "Who was better in their heyday?" Got to go with Metallica.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

metallica. master of puppets is just too fucking good. if that wasnt in the mix i might have gone with slayer but it would have been close. but master is one of the greatest albums ever made in any genre.

Masked Terror #1

ALASKA wrote:master is one of the greatest albums ever made in any genre.
And it's not even Metallica's best album. :grin:

I'm a Lightning man myself, but they're all great.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

very hard call..went with slayer.

mainly because of No Sleep till Brooklyn. :gyeah:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:

something about the cleanness of master puts it over the top for me.

Jennie C
FUCK YOU REGGIEBIRD

Post by Jennie C »

The non-hessian faction wonders if there will ever be a topic migration to forms of non-metal music.
hopps wrote:i also think mindbender wastes way too much time on this message board. i think he should never come here again. seriously, man.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

If an alien were to crashland in my backyard and come up to me and ask me "what is 'meh-tul?'", I would hand him a copy of Reign In Blood.

Plus, when in doubt you must consider the most unbiased of all tiebreakers. Who would win in a fight?

Kerry King could probably take all of Metallica by himself.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

voted metallica. always appreciated slayer....never really connected with their music the way i did with metallica. but, dave lombardo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that douchebag lars.

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

Voted for Slayer.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

metallica.

love slayer, but that 4 album stretch is mindblowing. And Master of Puppets is one of my favorite albums ever.

boogie shoes

Post by boogie shoes »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:

agreed except i like the rawness of killem all while equally enjoying ride the lightning and then somehow finding master of puppets corny