The Cars

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Masked Terror #1

The Cars

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

These guys are really slept on. Not in terms of how popular or successful they were, but in terms of how innovative and dope they were.

Sometimes when shit is really popular in a mainstream way, it's easy to miss the fact it's bringing some cool new shit to the table, especially if you were on the young side when it dropped.

Ric Ocasek is a great song writer, arranger and producer, as evidenced by a lot of his production work outside The Cars- Bad Brains, Iggy Pop, Weezer.

It's really kind of nuts when you look at how many hits these guys had, especially since most of them are really good and hold up over time.

Some favorites- Bye Bye Love, Good Times Roll, Youג€™re All Iג€™ve Got Tonight, Moving In Stereo (Phoebe Cates titty anthem).

Personally, I consider them as important as Blondie and the Talking Heads when it comes to who shaped the sound and landscape of American New Wave, but they are rarely talked about that way.

Appreciate.
Masked Terror #1 wrote:The Cars
Complete Greatest Hits

1 Just What I Needed Ocasek 3:45
2 My Best Friend's Girl Ocasek 3:45
3 Good Times Roll Ocasek 3:47
4 You're All I've Got Tonight Ocasek 4:14
5 Bye Bye Love Ocasek 4:15
6 Moving in Stereo Hawkes, Ocasek 4:46
7 Let's Go Ocasek 3:35
8 It's All I Can Do Ocasek 3:45
9 Dangerous Type Ocasek 4:30
10 Touch and Go Ocasek 4:57
11 Shake It Up Ocasek 3:35
12 Since You're Gone Ocasek 3:33
13 I'm Not the One Ocasek 4:14
14 You Might Think Ocasek 3:07
15 Drive Ocasek 3:57
16 Magic Ocasek 3:59
17 Hello Again Ocasek 3:48
18 Why Can't I Have You Ocasek 4:05
19 Tonight She Comes Ocasek 3:56
20 You Are the Girl Ocasek 3:55

the brow

Post by the brow »

Never really checked em out before. DLing now.

Thanks MT.
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Word. Definitely one of my favorite bands from that era. Their first album is one of the best debuts ever I'd say. All Mixed Up, Living In Stereo of course, and yeah... the triple threat of Good Times Roll, Best Friend's Girl, and Just What I Needed is classic.

I own Hearbeat City too. A bit cheesier than the earlier shit, but can't deny the title track or Magic.

Great driving music.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

Pretending SYM didn't post in this thread.

I grew up listening to The Cars, The Police, Pretenders and Talking Heads. I met Ric Okasek (sp?) when I was like 14 and it was both scary and awesome. I seriously love this band. Extremely slept on if you ask me. We did a tribute night to the cars at the bar I used to work at and it was one of the most fun nights evar! I dont even think I could pinpoint my favorite song, but when my friend Ron sang Drive, all panties in the building were moist.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

ARGHLENE wrote:Pretending SYM didn't post in this thread.
Keep giving me attention, even outside of P&B. You're pathetic.

Allow me to extend the olive branch and apologize for liking the same music as you, before we get this thread even more off topic.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

love these guys..

I'm also appreciative of the fact Ric Okasek (I justr checked MT's post to see if he spelled it diffrent..we both aren't sure) brought us Weezer and Nada Surf too.

not as appreciative about Pink Spiders.. Anyone else Ric has gotten started I should know about ?

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I remember seeing a MTV doc on The Cars and Kurt Loder said something like they perfected the 3 1/2 minute pop song. Very true.

marinville

Post by marinville »

they're cool and all, but I just never have any desire to listen to them.

Infact all this thread really did for me was make me kinda wanna listen to my talking heads record.

but thats just me though.

I cant deny that they were talented.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

love The Cars

listen to them as often as I can