Cum on Phila tha Noize ! 80's metal

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

CRASH DDZ

Cum on Phila tha Noize ! 80's metal

Post by CRASH DDZ »

I just thought of it because I ran acrossed an old Quiet Riot record..

Is it just me or are they slept on?

Also ..Cum on Phila tha Noize ! should have been the name of this forum.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i always like the song metal health. it was pretty rough.

i think RATT is another slept on crew

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

ALASKA wrote:i always like the song metal health. it was pretty rough.

i think RATT is another slept on crew
I was this close to mentioning them in this thread.. (you can't see it but I have my fingers posed to represent very close)

Ratt
Judas Preist (the dude in bondage gear is gay ? how did we not see that coming ?)
Cinderella
Van Halen
Motley Crue

This metal stuff was the other half of my Cold Chillin/Def Jam musical diet back in the day.. but all this stuff I've kind of forgotten about...

I wish I had all my Head Bangers Ball VHS tapes still...

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

a few groups from that school of music that really stand out to me and most people didnt check for....and i havent heard them in ages so they might suck now....but i remember liking them alot were:

LA Guns
Tora Tora
Bang Tango
Faster Pussycat

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

how bout:

Lizzy Borden
Flotsam and Jetsam
Trixter
Fastway
Saga

I used to have all these on cassettes.. but I can't find most of em.. I think girlfriends took 'em. :killacam:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i remember lizzy borden, never really heard them. i did have flotsam and jetsem, because jason newstead was in them so i had to see what it was all about. i dont remember if it was good or not.

what about grim reaper and helloween

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Helloween was the shit. Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts I & II kicked ass.

Funny, I was just going to start an 80s metal thread as well.

A lot of good bands get slept on because they were caught up in such a gay scene/look.

Some "glam" bands that were actually good-

G'n'R (they pretty much surpass the categorization)
Motley Crue
RATT
Scorpions
Skid Row
Quiet Riot
Cinderella
Faster Pussy Cat (Bathroom Wall was the shit)
LA Guns

Would be dope to get some uploads of some of these albums going. Saddingly, I had most of this shit on cassette so I can't hook up as much as I'd like to.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

you guys ever read 'fargo rock city'? pretty good book about that whole scene and its cultural importance.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

us tape heads need one of these...

Masked Terror #1

ALASKA wrote:you guys ever read 'fargo rock city'? pretty good book about that whole scene and its cultural importance.
Yeah, dope book. I'm pretty much a fan of anything Klosterman writes. Funny dude who knows his shit and usually has a refreshing perspective.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:
ALASKA wrote:you guys ever read 'fargo rock city'? pretty good book about that whole scene and its cultural importance.
Yeah, dope book. I'm pretty much a fan of anything Klosterman writes. Funny dude who knows his shit and usually has a refreshing perspective.
i've read everything but the new one. have you checked it out yet?

have you checked out any off his articles on espn page 2? usually pretty good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/searc ... &rT=sports

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, his ESPN shit is great. The back-and-forth he did with Simmons a while back was ill.

His latest book is good, but it's not like his other stuff. Much more personal, while ostensibly set around this dead-rockstar roadtrip. A lot of stuff about his various relationships with women and his difficulties therewith.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Motley Cru and GnR are both too good for this thread
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Yeah, his ESPN shit is great. The back-and-forth he did with Simmons a while back was ill.

His latest book is good, but it's not like his other stuff. Much more personal, while ostensibly set around this dead-rockstar roadtrip. A lot of stuff about his various relationships with women and his difficulties therewith.
yeah that was a great back and forth. they might be two of my favorite writers. always enjoyable to read.

ahh i read that one. it was pretty good. actually i enjoyed it quite a bit. he has a new one out called dangerous ideas for dangerous times or some shit like that.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

ALASKA wrote:
Masked Terror #1 wrote:Yeah, his ESPN shit is great. The back-and-forth he did with Simmons a while back was ill.

yeah that was a great back and forth. they might be two of my favorite writers. always enjoyable to read.

ahh i read that one. it was pretty good. actually i enjoyed it quite a bit. he has a new one out called dangerous ideas for dangerous times or some shit like that.
Are you talking about Klosterman IV?

It's pretty good. It's like a collection of articles he wrote for Spin (which is cool for me because I never read that shit) and then a longish short story at the end.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

StormShadow wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

Are you talking about Klosterman IV?

It's pretty good. It's like a collection of articles he wrote for Spin (which is cool for me because I never read that shit) and then a longish short story at the end.
thats the one. i need to check it. im not a big fan of hardcover books. they are a hassle to read on the subway

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

If you like Quiet Riot, check out Slade. That would be the band who originally did Come on Feel the Noize and Momma We're All Crazee Now.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

All I know is that the one dude in Faster Pussycat looked a lot like Judd Nelson.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

b0mbs_of_death wrote:If you like Quiet Riot, check out Slade. That would be the band who originally did Come on Feel the Noize and Momma We're All Crazee Now.
YUP YUP..Had that.. They were also pioneers in the big hat full of hair look that Slash would go on to perfect.. :) Run, Run Away was my ish.

Masked Terror #1

b0mbs_of_death wrote:If you like Quiet Riot, check out Slade. That would be the band who originally did Come on Feel the Noize and Momma We're All Crazee Now.
Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply (no Lil Weezy)

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

CRASH DDZ wrote:
b0mbs_of_death wrote:Run, Run Away was my ish.
no doubt. i remember that video.

ummmm nobody mentioned WASP....criminal.