Spoon fans?

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Spoon fans?

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

Haven't seen this band brought up here. I'm a big fan, have been ever since the first time I heard "The Way We Get By" (no O.C.). These guys sound smart, but unprententious, and indie, but with great pop sensibilities.

Their new CD came out yesterday. I'm still digesting it, but on first couple of listens, it sounds great. It doesn't have songs that instantly jump out as hits like Gimme Fiction did ("I Turn My Camera on" and "I Summon You"), but it still sounds excellent. "Don't Make a Target" and "Eddie's Ragga" are my two instant highpoints.

Because I can't rank this album yet, and just because I feel like it, I'll rank their other albums.

1. Series of Sneaks
2. Gimme Fiction
3. Girls Can Tell
4. Kill the Moonlight
(I own Soft Effects, but never really listened to it).

I expect the new album to rank between Gimme Fiction and Girls Can Tell. We'll see.

Add on, or complain, or whatever.
the poster formerly known as dead jesus
http://www.myspace.com/justinsayles

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Post by Sebastian gets busy »

only album I have is kill the moonlight
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9ADfEyh7PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

They just played for free in Midtown. Would have gone, but it was outside and it was like 150 degrees out.

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I used to be a really big fan, but they seemed to be drifting towards irrelevancy with gimme fiction. I've had their new album for a couple months now, and I've only listened to it once or twice. I'll give it a chance eventually, though.

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

TeenageMoustache wrote:they seemed to be drifting towards irrelevancy with gimme fiction.
i kinda felt the same way, then i sat on it for a year. broke it back out and loved it.
the poster formerly known as dead jesus
http://www.myspace.com/justinsayles

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Gimme Fiction is all I've heard from them and I really enjoyed it.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

I think that Girls Can Tell is a great record, but I dislike Spoon's more recent material.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

I'm probably the only black dude in Atlanta walking around singing "japenese cigarette case" but I dig this shit.

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

really like the new album, to me it's a step up from gimme fiction, but it took more time to grow on me than gimme fiction did.

but girls can tell is by far my favorite release of theirs, and i really like all their stuff. maybe the most consistent band making music today. girls can tell is on another level though.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

great band.
I first heard of them through a 90s indie rock mix a friend made for me so I could catch up on shit i missed out on.

"Metal Detecktor" is still my favorite song from them.
I haven't heard the new record but I want to.

They are the type of band that always puts out consistent, very well produced music... but they don't jump out at me the way other bands do, so I'll go months without listening to them or not check their album as soon as it drops.
but at some point I always break it back out and fucking love it.
Girls Can Tell is their best record.

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:Girls Can Tell is their best record.
What's funny about Girls Can Tell is that it's probably their most accessible record, and it's the one they made AFTER they were dropped by a Major.

Still, that little period of Series of Sneaks, Girls Can Tell, and Kill The Moonlight is top notch.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

ive become mildly obsessed with this band lately
not sure why now because ive liked their music for a long time, but i cant seem to shut their new album off? its really good? im ron burgundy?

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Girls Can Tell is one of my favorite indie albums

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

I saw them on SNL last season.
One song was really catchy.. turn my camera on?..
never looked into buying/DLing anything, tho..

what's the best album?
ImageImage
ImageImage

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

what other Spoon album has a song or songs in the vein of "you got yr cherry bomb"? cause that song is the fuckin jam.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

varick pyr wrote:what other Spoon album has a song or songs in the vein of "you got yr cherry bomb"? cause that song is the fuckin jam.
Girls Can Tell

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

been had ga ga ga ga ga on heavy spin.
this guy got a lotta billy joel influence and he incorporate other musical styles. this is a tremendous album

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Psychosis wrote:Gimme Fiction is all I've heard from them and I really enjoyed it.