The Walkmen

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

The Walkmen

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

www.daytrotter.com
they just did a daytrotter session of Leonard Cohen covers and they are special treats.

I'm about to check out their cover album of Nilsson's Pussy Cats... completely forgot about this.
but this band is proving to be more than the run-of-the-mill indie band that plagued tv/radio a few years ago when they were on the O.C.

Granted, I love their first two albums still, they have defined themselves as fans of music first who respect those before them who make their music possible.

anybody else dig this band?

SeanieCameras

Post by SeanieCameras »

Huge fucking fan! The lead singer grew up around the DC area(where I'm from) and was in a couple local bands before breaking out to NYC...I havent heard anything about this cover album, tell me more????

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Walkmen are a weird group. They've got some of the best singles of the past decade ("We've Been Had," "The Rat," "Little House of Savages") but their first two albums are underwhelming. If they had whole albums full of songs that were as good as the three I mentioned they'd be far and away my favorite band.

Can someone up A Hundred Miles Off? That's the one album I haven't heard.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Icesickle wrote:Walkmen are a weird group. They've got some of the best singles of the past decade ("We've Been Had," "The Rat," "Little House of Savages") but their first two albums are underwhelming. If they had whole albums full of songs that were as good as the three I mentioned they'd be far and away my favorite band.

Can someone up A Hundred Miles Off? That's the one album I haven't heard.
a hundred miles off.... skip it, i say.
Its far too Dylanesque.

I agree though, all their albums lack a common ground. They love to slip into that reverbed 90s drone and let the lead go all drunk Bono on the track, but when they focus and create a melodic single they have the ability to be brilliant.
and now they might be too musically gifted or even influenced for their own good... with each album having such range and also doing these covers... you can't rely on them to deliver the good shit they are clearly capable of making.