Finals: The Artifacts vs. Brand Nubian

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Vote

Poll ended at Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 am

Brand Nubian
59%
The Artifacts
41%

Total votes: 29

Magneto

Finals: The Artifacts vs. Brand Nubian

Post by Magneto »

Vote
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

admiral

Post by admiral »

Nubian

Puba, Sadat, and Jamar's skills > Tame and El's

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

oh fuck....yeah I'm going with the Brand Nubes as well.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nubian. Facts were dope for 2 albums but they don't have the longevity, catlogy or classics like Brand Nu.

Plus Puba in his prime > Tame and that snoozefest El.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Being that this is a skills tournament, it comes down to Puba vs. Tame (forget catalogue and all that other shit).

If you gave each of them a mic and told them to spit a hot 16, I think you'd get a better verse from Tame.

Obviously there are compelling arguments to be made for Puba, but he's not from Jersey so I'm comfortable voting Artifacts here.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

glad the finals came down to such a quality matchup
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

To me El and Jamar are on a relatively even playing field. Puba, Sadat, and Tame are three of the best. Tame in a skill vacuum is probably superior to both though.

I'll vote Artifacts.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Brand Nubian. Tame is the best rapper in either group, but Grand Puba and Sadat X are too ill.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

where was i when tame became rakim....puba is far superior to him...its really not close (im speaking in their primes of course)

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

this is a very difficult poll

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

clark bent wrote:where was i when tame became rakim....puba is far superior to him...its really not close (im speaking in their primes of course)
You my be right about Grand Puba being a better, it's close. I think Tame's skill level is slightly superior, but I would not argue against Puba.

And I might need Phila to extend the time of this poll, because it's scheduled to end in a half an hour, and it's tied 8-8.

B. Ware tha Siniq

clark bent wrote:where was i when tame became rakim....puba is far superior to him...its really not close (im speaking in their primes of course)
Tame is definitely a better emcee than Grand Puba.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Hold up.

Tame is definitely a better lyricist, but a better all around emcee? That's a highly questionable statement.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Brand Nubian for the classics I grew up listening to. But I do believe Tame had the potential to be 1 of the greatest had they not broke up and he not started fuckin with Cage n them

Verge

Post by Verge »

But Brand Nubian by far.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Sadat X is the tie-breaker here.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Ya smoke crack, don'tcha?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Paragraph President wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Hold up.

Tame is definitely a better lyricist, but a better all around emcee? That's a highly questionable statement.
I prefer Tame's lyrics, voice, and delivery to Puba's. Puba's flow is more effortless/smooth. I guess it all depends on what you value in your emcees. I also happen to think Tame rapped his ass off on a lot of the EC material later in his career, and I know many people slept on that stuff (cuz EC was generally wack and he spent most of those albums talking about leak). I don't think he's leaps and bounds ahead, but I think he's superior.

This poll was a very tough call though. Especially given it's two emcees vs. three.

SouthJerzee

Post by SouthJerzee »

frank b wrote:Sadat X is the tie-breaker here.
Unfair advantage.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:I also happen to think Tame rapped his ass off on a lot of the EC material later in his career, and I know many people slept on that stuff (cuz EC was generally wack and he spent most of those albums talking about leak).

Good point. He also killed shit on the Leak Bros. album with Cage.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Combo7 wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:I also happen to think Tame rapped his ass off on a lot of the EC material later in his career, and I know many people slept on that stuff (cuz EC was generally wack and he spent most of those albums talking about leak).

Good point. He also killed shit on the Leak Bros. album with Cage.
yeah. I was tryin' to find the lyrics to his verse on "gimmesumdeath," but ohhla's transcription was hilariously bad. He destroys that first verse though.

Thun

Post by Thun »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Hold up.

I prefer Tame's lyrics, voice, and delivery to Puba's. Puba's flow is more effortless/smooth. I guess it all depends on what you value in your emcees. I also happen to think Tame rapped his ass off on a lot of the EC material later in his career, and I know many people slept on that stuff (cuz EC was generally wack and he spent most of those albums talking about leak). I don't think he's leaps and bounds ahead, but I think he's superior.

This poll was a very tough call though. Especially given it's two emcees vs. three.
Has Tame ever...

... made a song as beautiful and resonant as "Wake Up" or "Maybe One Day"
... flowed as effortlessly with as many styles as Puba on "Who Can Get Busy Like This Man" or "Lick Shot"?
... made a classic party jam like "360" or "I Like It"?

Not attempting to proselytize or beat a dead horse, just some food for thought.

admiral

Post by admiral »

pretty sad this can only garner 16 votes...

B. Ware tha Siniq

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Hold up.

Has Tame ever...

... made a song as beautiful and resonant as "Wake Up" or "Maybe One Day"
... flowed as effortlessly with as many styles as Puba on "Who Can Get Busy Like This Man" or "Lick Shot"?
... made a classic party jam like "360" or "I Like It"?

Not attempting to proselytize or beat a dead horse, just some food for thought.
Has Puba ever used the words "medulla oblongata" in a rap song?

I think Puba has more range in general. Many rappers do. Tame has showed a little more range and depth in some individual songs from his solo work than he did on the Artifacts albums, but I won't front like he's got the range and depth of Puba. But I do think he's superior within his own lanes (which are admittedly only pretty limited... Dust raps, graffiti raps, battle raps, stories, personal struggles). It would've been interesting to hear a Tame solo album in the mid-nineties, when he didn't have to share concepts and mic time with EL, but unfortunatley we'll never know what that would've been like.

B. Ware tha Siniq

admiral wrote:pretty sad this can only garner 16 votes...
indeed. The finals from this tournament >>>>>>> the finals from the M2C tournament.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

admiral wrote:pretty sad this can only garner 16 votes...
Yeah. If voters had the opportunity to win a Def Jux car flag, I think the number of votes would increase to 108 within 8 minutes or so. Wikipedia searches for "Brand Nubian", "Grand Puba", "The Artifacts", and "skins" would also increase exponentially over this time period.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

people must not see this cuz its been tie for over a day

B. Ware tha Siniq

LOL at this shit. Is the poll stuck? There's like 30,000 accounts on this message board and we can't get 20 people to vote on the most skillled group of all-time finals?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I know see the problem. Magneto set each poll to last 2 days. An option I don't think anyone has ever used on here including myself. I thought when he asked me if we can continue this poll he meant I didn't unlock it.

It's good to go and since it's not going to expire now we can let this ride out until Wed or Thursday.

LOL.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Ha! My second vote just tied it up again.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama