West Coast Indies mix '94-'00

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

multsanta

West Coast Indies mix '94-'00

Post by multsanta »

I don't usually plug my shit here (or anywhere) but I thought this mix was particularly troyish -

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=2070

1. Blackalicious - ג€œSwan Lakeג€ from Melodica (Sole Sides, 1994)
2. Aceyalone - ג€œThe Guidelinesג€ from A Book Of Human Language (Project Blowed, 1998)
3. E-Rule - ג€œListen Upג€ from 12″ (Pallas, 1994)
4. Hieroglyphics - ג€œYou Never Knewג€ from Third Eye Vision (Hieroglyphics, 1998)
5. Scarub - ג€œSavvy Travellerג€ from Heavenbound (Heavenbound, 2000)
6. Bored Stiff - ג€œPeaceful Rotationג€ from Explaininג€™ (Hella, 1995)
7. Of Mexican Descent - ג€œI Am Stillג€ from Exitos Mas Exitos (Nerve Deafness, 1998)
8. Latyrx - ג€œSay Thatג€ from Latyrx (Sole Sides, 1997)
9. Mystik Journeymen - ג€œDepths Of Survivalג€ from 4001 (Outhouse, 1996)
10. Ras Kass - ג€œUnderstandable Smoothג€ from 12″ (Patchwerk, 1998)
11. 3 Melancholy Gypsys - ג€œSunsprayedג€ from ComMURShul Tape (Veritech, 1996)
12. Saafir - ג€œLight Sleeperג€ from Boxcar Sessions LP (Qwest, 1994)
13. Freestyle Fellowship - ג€œCan You Find The Level Of Difficulty?ג€ from 12″ (Celestial, 1999)
14. Ras Kass - ג€œWonג€™t Catch Me Runninג€™ג€ from 12″ (Patchwerk, 1994)
15. Abstract Rude - ג€œLA Styles Backג€ from South Central Thynk Tank (Ocean Floor, 1998)
16. OD f/ Xololanxinco, Jizzm, Radioinactive, Awol One & Circus - ג€œFarmers Market Of The Beastג€ from Beneath The Surface (Benath The Surface, 1998)
17. Grouch - ג€œSimple Manג€ from Making Perfect Sense (G&E, 1999)

Thun

Post by Thun »

Dope.

Cantin

Post by Cantin »

wouldnt mind if you plug more of your stuff, :gyeah:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

"simple man" will always be a slept on favorite of mine.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I prefer "Once Upon A Rhyme" by Grouch, the West Coast version of Apathy.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i'm actually not a huge fan of the grouch. he's okay but i never really loved any of his shit. "simple man" is just a fun song.
"i like funny things, i like beans and rice"

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:i'm actually not a huge fan of the grouch. he's okay but i never really loved any of his shit. "simple man" is just a fun song.
Yeah I'm saying, he's like Apathy in that sense. White rapper who's okay. And that's about it.

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

Thun wrote:I prefer "Once Upon A Rhyme" by Grouch, the West Coast version of Apathy.
Haha ouch.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:
Blockhead wrote:i'm actually not a huge fan of the grouch. he's okay but i never really loved any of his shit. "simple man" is just a fun song.
Yeah I'm saying, he's like Apathy in that sense. White rapper who's okay. And that's about it.
to be honest, i don't think i've ever made it past the first four bars of any apathy song.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:
Thun wrote:
to be honest, i don't think i've ever made it past the first four bars of any apathy song.
[insert obvious joke]

SOC4L

Post by SOC4L »

Thun wrote:Dope.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:"simple man" will always be a slept on favorite of mine.
Word, I like my beans and rice too.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Great work.

Back in 01/02, I put together three 90 minute tapes of west coast underground highlights (both major label & indie) from between the years of 1992 and 1995. I'm definitely gonna make some comps for the TROY blog at some point, but I'm gonna stick to the 92-95 time period.

Do you like Jekill?

Impact Of My Insanity
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6780609-41f" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6780609-41f" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

Mannish
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6780610-860" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6780610-860" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

"Impact Of My Insanity" was my lead-off track.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Thun wrote:
I feel like Ap is a good (coulda been great) rapper whose tough-guy posturing turned me away from his music. Grouch on the other hand is an alright rapper who makes good music due to being humble about his craft. Really haven't listened to THAT much from either of them though.

This mix is really dope. I gotta go check out "Boxcar Sessions" again.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Does that 3MG shit exist in better sound quality?

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

real dope mix.....

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

RoKnew wrote:I feel like Ap is a good (coulda been great) rapper whose tough-guy posturing turned me away from his music.
Personally, I think that Apathy's biggest problem has always been failing to mature away that stupid, thugged-out cokehead battle-rap shit that was so popular in the late 90's and early 00's. He made some pretty cool conceptual songs on Eastern Philosophy, but for the most part that album was on that same derivative Copwrite / MHz / Demigodz tip.

Dude definitely had potential but wasted it on lyrical crotch-grabbing. That's why most of his material has no substance and no staying power.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

...and yes, this is definitely a dope mix.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Echo Leader wrote:
RoKnew wrote:I feel like Ap is a good (coulda been great) rapper whose tough-guy posturing turned me away from his music.
Personally, I think that Apathy's biggest problem has always been failing to mature away that stupid, thugged-out cokehead battle-rap shit that was so popular in the late 90's and early 00's. He made some pretty cool conceptual songs on Eastern Philosophy, but for the most part that album was on that same derivative Copwrite / MHz / Demigodz tip.

Dude definitely had potential but wasted it on lyrical crotch-grabbing. That's why most of his material has no substance and no staying power.

100% agree, and I can't dig most of his shit because he has little substance and carries himself like a punk.

How that compares to the grouch (other than i guess technical skill level) i do not know. Dude is one of my favorite rappers because he's always got a strong message i can relate to. Getting a little wack with this bay area hyphy attempt that Zion I looks to be riding too though..