Guru: "I am Gang Starr"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

step one

Guru: "I am Gang Starr"

Post by step one »

from a new interview on Hip Hop DX:
The lead single from the album (with accompanying video directed by Solar), ג€œDivine Rule,ג€ is due to drop shortly. But any discussion with Guru on what music he is currently working on will inevitably lead from his present back to his past.

ג€œSo why donג€™t we do this, why donג€™t we just skip that [discussion] and Iג€™ll just say I am Gang Starr,ג€ he replied when asked to address the elephant in the room. ג€œGang Starr is me. And it comes out in whatever I do, to the fullest. 7 Grand is the future. Guru and Solar are those intelligent, creative leaders that Hip Hop needs right now, and will be needingג€¦ Itג€™s your favorite rapper, the legendary, combined with NYCג€™s brightest producer. Thatג€™s what itג€™s about.ג€

ג€œI would say both,ג€ Guru replied when further asked if his pairing with Solar is eliciting disdain or simply confusion from the buying public who are used to hearing him rock over Premo productions. ג€œBut the hate comes more from within the industry, ג€˜cause thereג€™s a lot of stubborn dudes that are just lost in the industry, which is why the industry needs a revival. But 7 Grandג€™s got loads of fans. Our concerts are sold out worldwide... This is that creative control that I always wanted as an artist. We are ג€˜The Ownerz.ג€™ Solar and I are real owners. Instead of a concept, this is real.ג€

Fretting fans of Gang Starr, who are by and large still adjusting to hearing the Boston emcee without the sonic support of his Texas-born beatmaker/deejay, need not worry according to Solar, as he confidently explained, ג€œAny icon of Guruג€™s caliber or standards can bring in an album on his own.ג€
I know he was Gang Starr before Premier came long etc but without Primo he'd have prob faded away in the early 90s. I'm a big fan of them both but his solo stuff without Primo just isn't as good.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

GURU & PRIMO need to simply reunite and give the fans an album
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

Guru is a bit delusional. Primo made Guru sound good. I don't think either Preem or Guru as solo artists are Gang Starr- it's all or nothing. If they're not going to work together then GS needs to be retired to the rafters.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Disrespect and delusion.
Every gangstarr family LP was always 75% about Preme's beats.
End of "Inna City Life" is the perfect example:
"N--N---N--Now let's get this straight...I am the star of this act"

JamesonMitchell

Post by JamesonMitchell »

I know why I bought Gang Starr albums, and it definitely wasn't to hear Guru on his knees for Elijah.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Not since Jazzmataz 2 has he made an album worth buying. Guru is bitter and has no idea that without Premier there would be no Guru.

EarForGoodMusic

Post by EarForGoodMusic »

I know premo's production is top notch and all, but i like guru's lyrics, particularly on NMMNG and Moment of truth, i thought those were his best two albums lyrically. The king of monotone,wit his own throne.

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

"Lemonade was popular a drink and it still is......"

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

thebridgeisover wrote:"Lemonade was popular a drink and it still is......"
it was funky too... :lol:

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

thebridgeisover wrote:"Lemonade was popular a drink and it still is......"
haha best line ever from guru :copy:

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

just the same as with Pete Rock & CL Smooth. Pete & CL and Guru & Primo need each other to dish out banging music. Both duos were quintessential hiphop partnerships as far as their music goes. Obviously one without the other just hasn't and will not be the same. But I think in such a relationship where u have a dope MC and an ill producer, the producer of the group has an advantage over the MC in that he can last longer without the latter, b/c let's face it, people nod their heads to the dope beat, not the lyrics! When dope rhymes and the right voice jell together with the beats as it were with Pete & CL and Gang Starr it's always a plus, but Canibus anyone?

And this is exactly what's happened with Gang Starr. Primo's still considered one of the best active producers in the game and he's still shelling out ill beats for other artists. Pete's lost his touch considerably imo but he's still a dope producer. But what have the MCs Guru and CL done? I mean they've dropped some nice shit from time to time after the groups broke up, but I think they need to realize that what they had was golden and they were the yin and the yang to each other musically. I understand their egos are involved and they're still trying to prove to critics and fans alike that they don't need their former partner's beats, but they need to realize they're playin themselves if they think that way.

That's how it's usually went when looking at a duo of MC/producer that have broken up with the producer having that edge as far as not needing the MC to succeed. But the only former duo i can think of at the moment where the MC far outlasted the producer after breaking up and no one really thought he couldn't do it without the producer is Eric B & Rakim. Rakim's the God MC and i think he can rock over anyone's dope beat, but he needs to get his shit together these days if he wants to even remotely stay relevant. Guru though is not on that level. I mean he's ill MC no doubt, but i always thought primo's beats made him sound a lot better not only musically but also made him sound like a far greater MC than he really is.

kimani

Post by kimani »

And Eric B. didn't fully produce their albums, so Rakim was already rocking over other people's beats, drums at least. But basically I don't think Guru or CL are really Great, at least, they don't have any spectacular quality, they're fairly interchangeable emcees, but they still sound most natural over their respective producers' beats; both Primo and PR can produce other great songs and can remix the shit out of a dope track, but as far as albums go, with a complete feel and all the song elements matching to such an extent that each song, and the album on a whole is better than any individual beat, line, flip, delivery, Primo needs Guru and Pete Rock needs CL Smooth.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

kimani wrote:And Eric B. didn't fully produce their albums, so Rakim was already rocking over other people's beats, drums at least. But basically I don't think Guru or CL are really Great, at least, they don't have any spectacular quality, they're fairly interchangeable emcees, but they still sound most natural over their respective producers' beats; both Primo and PR can produce other great songs and can remix the shit out of a dope track, but as far as albums go, with a complete feel and all the song elements matching to such an extent that each song, and the album on a whole is better than any individual beat, line, flip, delivery, Primo needs Guru and Pete Rock needs CL Smooth.
yea no doubt man. I also think CL and Guru can be considered average to good MCs at best, nothing great. But they really did go well with their respective producers. There's been plenty of times where i didn't even concentrate on what they were spittin lyrically but was just noddin my head b/c the shit just sound so natural, their flows and voice, over PR & Primo's beats.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:Not since Jazzmataz 2 has he made an album worth buying. Guru is bitter and has no idea that without Premier there would be no Guru.
jazzmatazz 2 was worth buying?
but i agree. guru has never been exactly a lyrical mastermind. the proof of his relevance nowadays is that people still pine for primo tracks while seeing "featuring guru" on a song gets no one outside of eastern european villages excited.
"moment of truth" was the last good thing he was involved with and it wasn't cause of the rhymes.

EDIT:oh, and don't get me started on cl smooth's mediocre ass (no homo).

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

I don't feel that CL and Guru are in the same position. CL's flow could have had him succeed with other producers- but we'll never know. He just stopped making music and years later pops up without Pete and without any buzz. His lack of relevance hurt him the most. Guru has remained relevant for the most part and proved his need for Preem beats with all the Jazzmatazz joints. The first was dope, didn't feel the second and the third was decent with the best joint coming from Preem on "Hustlin' Daze." The joints he has released since the split have been mediocre at best.

I don't feel that Primo needs Guru due to his success with Jeru and the Group Home. Primo just needs Primo and he'll win.

Pete Rock's albums without CL have been pretty dope overall, but I do feel that the 2 of them worked extremely well together. Mecca & SB is such an incredible album that comparing anything to it is unfair.

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

lol, Guru is kiddin himself......he's Jazzmatazz, not gangstarr.....and ain't no shame in that at all......

I want that Premier compilation style album b4 another gangstarr joint, but i want a Gangstarr joint tho....

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Not since Jazzmataz 2 has he made an album worth buying. Guru is bitter and has no idea that without Premier there would be no Guru.
jazzmatazz 2 was worth buying?
Not nearly as good as 1, but if you look at all his solo work since then I'd say its the best one.

step one

Post by step one »

he's def not as good without Primo but I think people sell him short a a rapper/writer - Just To Get A Rep, Moment Of Truth, JFK To LAX, Whos Gonna Take The Weight all spring to mind.

as far as rappers that came out in the late 80s and stayed hot for 15 years or so (The Ownerz is pretty tight) theres maybe only Q Tip, Krs One and De La that could match him for consistency

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

guru solo albums are boring as fuck....

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

DJMIKENICE wrote:GURU & PRIMO need to simply reunite and give the fans an album
Premo said he was up for that when he stopped by MK's show on Kiss FM a couple of weeks ago.
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude wrote:just the same as with Pete Rock & CL Smooth.
I agree on principal, but it's 10x worse with CL., even w/o any insane comments like Guru.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

bad-cop wrote:
DJMIKENICE wrote:GURU & PRIMO need to simply reunite and give the fans an album
Premo said he was up for that when he stopped by MK's show on Kiss FM a couple of weeks ago.
Gotta wonder if that turned when he heard this bullsh!t?

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

RAZAH CUTZ wrote:lol, Guru is kiddin himself......he's Jazzmatazz, not gangstarr.....and ain't no shame in that at all......

I want that Premier compilation style album b4 another gangstarr joint
Exactly. Primo still has alot of relationships and even more respect amongst several generations in this. He could very easily get alot of ringing names for a better price.

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

if Guru really produced that joint on the Group Home album why didn't he make his own beats ? there should be more (dope) rappers who make their own beats. We should have had more guys like Godfather Don and Pharoahe Monch should have dropped more solos since the OK split. I mean the guy fucking did Simon Says and most of the OK stuff was self-produced too.
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

step one

Post by step one »

theres a link to the Hip Hop DX interview on Nah Right lite that has the exact same title as this thread. Weird.

Verge

Post by Verge »

RAZAH CUTZ wrote:I want that Premier compilation style album b4 another gangstarr joint
Sure, I'd like to see that, but not before another Gangstarr jawn.
Every Gangstarr album is highly regarded, and to me, classics. Except for NMMNG, which was good for it's time, but they weren't really "on" yet.
This all of course is my own biased opinion.
Primo always does shit different when it's for Gangstarr. There are beats that I believe he never would have made for anyone else except Gangstarr.
I think it's like an in house family type thing. Same way he gave Group Home and Jeru such great beats.

Guru is an egotistical bastid for running his mouth off like that, I agree.

But (everyone get ready to boo me), I put Guru right up there with the greats. Not as a solo, of course. I'll even take it :pause: as far as saying 'The Ownerz' was a great fuckin' album. Two tracks I didn't dig off of that one. But really give that album another thorough listen before wetting me up with the hollow points. Every line on every track was like lyrical perfection. 'Riot Act' and 'Zonin'=winnerz.

Believe me, I'm running out of this thread with the quickness...:megaman:

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

Verge wrote:Believe me, I'm running out of this thread with the quickness...:megaman:
For what, the truth is the truth? Just because guru's been illin don't mean he's not one of the greats. Everybody knows he's not the same without premier & the same goes for premier. He's makes ill joints as he's supposed too but if his right hand man was there, he'd be 10 time's iller. Yin & yang no doubt about it. The kid that said that sittin' on his knees for allah comment was foul.

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

"Not since Jazzmataz 2 has he made an album worth buying. Guru is bitter and has no idea that without Premier there would be no Guru."

Cosigned, except i think Guru knows. A bit at least when he looks at the real sales of his Lps regarding Gangtsarrs ones. Plus Guru is so mad convinced he is a genius and keeps on preaching and being a morality provider ! Shame a genius doesnt make the difference between golden beats and shitty ones. Shame a genius didnt change his flow a bit in twenty years of rhyming. For real, take any a capella from No more Mr nice Guy and put it on any last produced track, or even on the last Lil jon, doesnt make a difference. He'll still tell you his shits the bomb.

Warn Freddie Foxx, he can redo his line
"Stuck like Guru without Premier"...

Solar beats are wack as fuck most of the time, check Street scriptures, Jazzmatazz 4 and the amount of samples we heard, re-heard and so. Check his drums and tell me it wasnt made on some bontempi child keyboard. Come on mr Elam...

Lets be for real

The Owner is preem, no question. Now "Gangstarr is me" only means Guru Pushed premier into this. Yeah right. Well, seems your child walks on his own now. maybe you just stand in the shadow. Like from the scratch.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Of course when we all think of GANG STARR we think of DJ Premier and Guru... but the FACTS are that Guru and Big Shug (and I think 1 other guy) were Gang Starr before DJ Premier ever got down. DJ Premier says himself he was a fan of Gang Starr before getting down. Guru used to sit up in the Wild Pitch offices going through demo's and he had come across a demo from DJ Premier and he loved the beats so he would rap over those beats on the Subway. They both also said that when they first spoke on the phone, they talked for hours talkin about beats and what not... Primo still lived in Texas at that time. It was also Guru who initially listened to Lord Finesse's demo and told the folks there that they needed to sign him. I heard all ofthis myself from both Guru and Primo when they were on The King Tech Wake Up Show back in 2003. I'll have to upload the 2-hour show...

So again, as much as I hate to hear it, Guru is right when he says he is Gang Starr!

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

The Kich Tech Wake Up Show GANG STARR SPECIAL April 12, 2003

I recorded the show live straight to CD. 5 total tracks...

http://www.zshare.net/download/580530447beae4ee/