OLU-006 - PETE ROCK AND C.L. SMOOTH - BASEMENT DEMOS EP [199

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

bad-cop

OLU-006 - PETE ROCK AND C.L. SMOOTH - BASEMENT DEMOS EP [199

Post by bad-cop »

Just received this into my inbox...

http://oneleguprecords.blogspot.com

PRE-ORDERS available NOW!

Peace world! As promised, I am proud to announce that the One Leg Up saga continues with another groundbreaking series! We had a lot of fun with the "Heavy Pieces" series and releasing an unprecedented 6 releases in less then a year gave us great satisfaction. Still, now it is time to redefine things a bit and get into our 2009 movement; the "Crispy Nuggets" series!

First up, we thought we would give everyone what they REALLY want: Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth unreleased joints!!

OLU Records has connected with C.L. Smooth to finally unearth some of the legendary sessions that were not included on the seminal "All Souled Out" EP. While these sessions always seemed to be a bit of an urban legend, a few of them had actually leaked on WBLS "In Control" back in the day. Once the debut EP was released, the duo quickly went on to change hip-hop history and these early tracks were all but forgotten! Fast forward to 2009.....Thought lost forever, 4XL has done the unexpected in working with C.L. to unearth these vintage treasures. Mastered and restored to optimum quality, this is a hip-hop goldmine, and this 5 track EP is a testament to the late 80's sound merging into the early 90's one. Of course, Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth were two of the main architects of this sharp turn in the golden era....Songs like the one-time WBLS exclusive "The Midnight Wrecka" and the fast-rap "Go C.L." sport an aggressive 1989/1990 feel that was probably scrapped in favor of updated material like "The Creator" or "The Good Life". Still the laid back "Cool and Calm" and "Down To Wreck Ya Body" head in the direction of the vintage "All Souled Out" flavor. Last, we are treated to a somewhat alternate version of "Go With The Flow". All the cuts are heavy on the scratching, courtesy of Pete Rock and it is lovely indeed! This is vintage Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth goodness and an essential to any Hip-Hop collection! This one won't last for too long so start your "Crispy Nuggets" series collections promptly and accurately; we have much more in store! We've also switched over to a new vinyl pressing plant so expect the wax to be super...

Remember, just like our previous series, this is the 1st release out of 5 total limited releases we are putting out in this set. As usual, we will be releasing the unexpected throughout our new "Crispy Nuggets" series and of course at the end of the new series, upon release of the final title, we will again be announcing and giving away another FREE bonus record (OLU-LTD2)! This extremely rare and exclusive bonus record will ONLY be available to purchasers of all five of our releases in this new series. It will be of the same caliber and quality as any regular OLU release (and will be just as crazy as OLU-LTD1)! This is my way of showing love back to those of you who spend hard-earned money to support projects such as these that would otherwise be impossible to release. In order to qualify for the free bonus wax, it will require purchasing OLU-006, OLU-007, OLU-008, OLU-009 and OLU-010. Same rules as last time. I want to thank everyone in advance for partaking in our next journey; we WILL improve your vinyl collections!

Ordering information and snippets are posted below.

OLU-006 - VINYL 12" EP TRACKLISTING:

- SIDE A:
01. "The Midnight Wrecka"
02. "Cool and Calm"

- SIDE B:
01. "Go C.L."

02. "Down To Move Ya Body"
03. "Go With The Flow [Alternate Mix]"

All songs produced by Pete Rock

SNIPPETS of all 5 tracks on the EP can be heard here:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/58016165f4cf9c3d/

DETAILS & PAYMENT INFORMATION:

- Pre-orders are being taken NOW. Get your order in and reserve your wax.
- Limited to only 200 copies, this collector's EP will not be repressed. Once they're gone, they're gone!
- The EP comes in a standard black jacket with black & white sticker at top.

- Price is 80.00 USD plus shipping & handling fees.
- These records are sold on a first come, first serve basis.
- We are accepting payments worldwide with PayPal in US currency.
- Records will be shipping the week of May 3rd, 2009 from New York City, USA

To PRE-ORDER now, send an e-mail to: OneLegUpRecords@gmail.com
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

just to get it out of the way:
"i cant believe people will pay this much"
"they should press more and sell it cheaper"
"i cant afford to pay for records anymore"
"i love vinyl and people who download stuff for free should burn in hell"
:phila:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'd like to thank Pete Rock's grandma for letting him use her basement in advance.

slangteacher

Post by slangteacher »

I'd love to own the shit on OLU....

But i'm never gonna pay that money on a regular for all this RARE wax,i bought the Broken Chains dbl 12" and i've played it a tonne of times plus th packaging is sweet but the jury's out on a lot of this shit.

Ed_Catto

Post by Ed_Catto »

slangteacher wrote:I'd love to own the shit on OLU....

But i'm never gonna pay that money on a regular for all this RARE wax,i bought the Broken Chains dbl 12" and i've played it a tonne of times plus th packaging is sweet but the jury's out on a lot of this shit.
Thank you for your purchase.

Peace,
Ed

kimani

Post by kimani »

Mmmm, these nuggets sound Crispy!
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

slangteacher

Post by slangteacher »

I gotta admit i've just done a total u-turn after hearing the snippets and purchased this baby...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Ed_Catto wrote:

Peace,
Ed
Did he PM you too? See what I mean?

slangteacher

Post by slangteacher »

Ed_Catto wrote:

Peace,
Ed
Yo Ed,i picked up that new Professors 12" as well..looking fwd to hearing it

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Sounds great.

FatFaceFreddy

Post by FatFaceFreddy »

word, shit does sound ill, yet another pressing I'll be waiting for.

slangteacher

Post by slangteacher »

I can understand the disdain for the real expensive wax,i've been collecting wax for over 25 years and i'm into my old school US and UK punk rock and hardcore as well as Hip Hop so i'm well aware of what prices some wax brings..waht i will say when drawing comparisons between punk snd hip hop is that there is a tonne of old punk rock that was very limited in pressings,i'm talking some hoy grail wax existing in copies of no more than 200 from like '82 but this shit get's some sort of official or semi officail re-press along way that sells at a regular price wether it be on cd or wax.I know artists are due some cash along the way for what they put in but i really think Hip Hop has gotten way off the tracks with this limited shit and it seems the Punk rock re-press and rare recording labels have their feet planted firmly on the ground as almost all these releases have extensive liner note's and photo's from original band members that accompany these releases...

Not to say i don't go out and buy the limited Hip Hop releases but if i had to question ethics then i know which side i'd have to question..

I also run a small(ish) punk record label so i know what pressing costs are and what a lot of these cats are quoting their pressings are costing in relation to the inflated prices their charging just don't add up anywhere near.

Sorry,but them's the breaks..

s'pose as long as there's suckers like me who'll llisten then the piper will always play the tune.

JamesonMitchell

Post by JamesonMitchell »

I want. Can not afford. I can afford a download, though.

Those samples are ill as fuck.

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

This definitely sounds like '89. Personally I prefer a more refined Pete Rock.

Thank you step one. I'm fairly new to this exorbitantly priced vinyl so you saved me some keyboard strokes. To each their own.

Ben Cendars

Post by Ben Cendars »

I fuck with this. A no brainer purchase IMO.

BC from NYC

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

slangteacher wrote:
Ed_Catto wrote:

Peace,
Ed
Yo Ed,i picked up that new Professors 12" as well..looking fwd to hearing it
Thats $600 to my count.

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

Ben Cendars wrote:I fuck with this. A no brainer purchase IMO.
Word. "Lethal Weapon" should've been on here tho. Hopefully we get a future release from pete himself with "For Your Own Concern" & other basement joints from '92-98 but I'm not holdin' my breath.

illest

Post by illest »

dat zshare doesnt work

Cantin

Post by Cantin »

ive dropped a ton of money in the last 3-4 weeks.( you can ask Ed and HaJ). i am very thankful that i can purchase these rare recordings. and look forward to this new one.

I say to each his own. I have no feelings one way or the other about what a person spends. Im too busy handling mine . I also have no problem with people upping these rare recordings, if they chose too.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

Wow...never thought I would see old Pete Rock & CL Smooth recordings. This makes my day!!

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

i have Lethal Weapon and CL strikes again

whats for your own concern ???? did you happen to confuse that with the BDK joint
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

Tim Burton wrote:Wow...never thought I would see old Pete Rock & CL Smooth recordings. This makes my day!!
imagine if this was an april's fool... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

DJMIKENICE wrote:i have Lethal Weapon and CL strikes again

whats for your own concern ???? did you happen to confuse that with the BDK joint
Nah, Tim Westwood played back in like '91. CL's not on it. InI is. Pete pressed a few copies & put it in a couple stores in NY. The b-side has NY Chaotic on it.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

This is cool and all, but shit, I will never pay those prices because I think it's fuckin ridiculous. I mean, why the fuck are they only pressing 200 copies??? Why not press 1,000 or even 2,000 copies and sell it for alot cheaper like $20-30? $30 is alot too, but $80???!!! Fuck THAT!!!

Showbiz & A.G.'s Broken Chains LP (on Freestyle Records) sells for $100. *shaking head*

As much as I hate to have to admit, I will only be downloading this shit and I'm against people downloading instead of buying the actual record or cd. I will never pay those kinds of prices. NEVER!!! To each his own, but I think you're straight trippin to pay that kinda money for a record unless your ass is rich and money is nothing to you.

I listened to the snippets of the Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth Basement Demos EP, and it's cool. It's nothing so amazing or anything, but it's good.

And thing is, I've been buying vinyl since 1989 and have over 13,000 original vinyls (TONS of rare shit) and the most I've EVER spent on a record was $25 (with shipping)!! Shit I slept on or just never got my hands on are things I've always found over the years while out diggin. I've found shit that sells on eBay for over $100 for 50 cents in clearence used bins.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

45ReC wrote:
DJMIKENICE wrote:i have Lethal Weapon and CL strikes again

Nah, Tim Westwood played back in like '91. CL's not on it. InI is. Pete pressed a few copies & put it in a couple stores in NY. The b-side has NY Chaotic on it.
WOW!! Mike, you gonna hook us up or WHAT???

And damn, InI was on a joint all the way back in '91??? Crazy!! I need to hear this shit...

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

am i the only one who dosent find this one intresting? probbably yes :lol:

i here snippets but not impressed, but for collection not bad

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

hellriser wrote:am i the only one who dosent find this one intresting? probbably yes :lol:
no you are not the only one. those are throwaway. release that shit for free crooks
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

step one

Post by step one »

WiCkEd22 wrote:This is cool and all, but shit, I will never pay those prices because I think it's fuckin ridiculous. I mean, why the fuck are they only pressing 200 copies??? Why not press 1,000 or even 2,000 copies and sell it for alot cheaper like $20-30? $30 is alot too, but $80???!!! Fuck THAT!!!

Showbiz & A.G.'s Broken Chains LP (on Freestyle Records) sells for $100. *shaking head*

As much as I hate to have to admit, I will only be downloading this shit and I'm against people downloading instead of buying the actual record or cd. I will never pay those kinds of prices. NEVER!!! To each his own, but I think you're straight trippin to pay that kinda money for a record unless your ass is rich and money is nothing to you.

I listened to the snippets of the Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth Basement Demos EP, and it's cool. It's nothing so amazing or anything, but it's good.

And thing is, I've been buying vinyl since 1989 and have over 13,000 original vinyls (TONS of rare shit) and the most I've EVER spent on a record was $25 (with shipping)!! Shit I slept on or just never got my hands on are things I've always found over the years while out diggin. I've found shit that sells on eBay for over $100 for 50 cents in clearence used bins.
we have this discussion about once a month. usually when one these releases drops. hence my reply at the top of this thread.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

illest

Post by illest »

shit is caca. cl has way better shit. so does dat clown dante ross, jamey staub and the bichassniga pete himself. call and myspace these niggas.

Verge

Post by Verge »

illest wrote:shit is caca. cl has way better shit. so does dat clown dante ross, jamey staub and the bichassniga pete himself. call and myspace these niggas.
:rofl: