World Renown

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

stype_ones

World Renown

Post by stype_ones »

A tremendous underground group from the mid 90's comprised of John Doe and 7 Shawn. Their first single, "Come Take A Ride" from 94 was real dope, however their true gem was 95's "How Nice I Am". Back then, I owned both their 12"s and had heard their joints over and over on various underground mix shows here in NYC. I did not hear much out of them media wise, although I do remember reading about them in either The Source or Rap Pages in 95. I have all my magazines in the closet here, but do not own a scanner at the moment, so please wait for that, but believe I will be uploading many articles from my stash in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

In any event, I searched a great deal for the "unreleased album" they supposedly made, but to no avail. Until, 2 or 3 years ago, I found on some random blog, something that I think is at least an incomplete version, if not a full version, of this album. If anyone happens to know more about this album, or has more than what is to follow in this thread, please let me know. This was a dope group from back then, and they deserve to get their shine. I seem to remember another track of theirs, I believe called "War Chant", that was decent, but did not come close to capturing the essence of their early work. Back in 95, we did not have the internet like we do now. Thank God for technology. Although I knew one of these non VLS tracks from Stretch's show.

I will post the 2 VLS' as well.

Here is what I have, for those who do not have this, enjoy!

http://www.zshare.net/download/58948588f181c9e1/

1. Roll With It
2. Shoowa Showa
3. Definition Of An MC
4. Long Jev 2
5. How Nice I Am
6. Don't Trust Your Man
7. Butter Love
8. Easy On The Tweeter
9. Come Take a Ride (West Coast Vibe)
10. Easy Connect
Last edited by stype_ones on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Come Take A Ride VLS:

http://www.zshare.net/download/58949408715a6ace/

01-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(extra_ride)
02-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(radio)
03-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(west_coast_vibe)
04-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(revibed)
05-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(inst)
06-world_renown_-come_take_a_ride_(acapella)

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

How Nice I Am VLS:

http://www.zshare.net/download/589497961b0f5282/

01-world_renown-how_nice_i_am_clean-
02-world_renown-how_nice_i_am_instrumental
03-world_renown-how_nice_i_am_drums_remix
04-world_renown-how_nice_i_am_acapella
05-world_renown-how_nice_i_am_dirty

PS. For the DJ's, I have vivid memories of using the knobs and the fader to get busy with the drums remix/acapella/instrumental.

Make of it what you will, but you can def bring some drama with that. I have a mixtape where I rocked this combo for 12 or so mins..

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Agree, dope album, but this has been posted here before. Good to have it reupped for those that missed it.

Jaz was the cat who first posted this on here. It was a couple years ago now so you may have grabbed it from his blog.

As far as I know there was a track called "World Renown" that has yet to surface.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

^Yeah jamrage, a friend of mine got it off K-Def's My Space page and sent it to me and it wasn't the full album (I think it was missing three tracks), just the tracks K-Def produced, I really hope it gets picked up by Traffic and gets the remaster treatment and the other tracks put on it.

It's dope, I need to start listening to it again, "Easy on the tweeter, heavy on the bass"

soopacee

Post by soopacee »

come take a ride is some feel good music
Just Because Something Is RARE, Doesnt Mean Its Good

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Good lookin, Jaz lol

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

how nice i am is ridiculously good but the album as a whole is quite underwhelming

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

clark bent wrote:how nice i am is ridiculously good but the album as a whole is quite underwhelming
I agree for the most part. They certainly did not reach the levels of "How Nice I Am", but I enjoyed the album, or what we have of it at least. It is crazy to me how a group on a major label put out two solid singles and never got an album out. I mean I know that those singles were not going gold or anything, but there were plenty of groups who put out dope singles that did not sell that well that got to at least put an album out. I guess the same can be said for Jemini the Gifted One.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

god i used to want the jemini ep so bad...i remember it always being on the tower records in store computers...like it would say it was in stock...little did anyone know at the time it was never released...so frustrating

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

sup pradadon, its eightyfive from ughh

i love this album, "long gev" is my shit off here, no weak tracks really

heres the 2 songs that werent k-def produced, not as good as the rest of teh album but they aren't terrible

"war chant"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g4i1h5

"back on the rebound"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1k6g6x
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0DslR0grbw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed>

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Very glad to see this on here. World Renown deserve more recognition.

I've been looking for more material from these cats for a long time, and just found this album on another blog 2 days ago. Those two additional tracks somebody cool posted are much appreciated.

Props to Pradadon for starting this thread.

:lol:

Thun

Post by Thun »

World Renown definitely do not deserve more recognition than they have received on the blogosphere.

Jemini The Gifted One >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> World Renown

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

disagree

only great song from jemini i thought was "story of my life". his ep is good but i thought the world renown album was real nice
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0DslR0grbw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed>

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Both of them deserve props. Jemini definitely!

I honestly have just recently jumped into the blogosphere. Before this I had never really heard any folks givin' them props. So its overdue from my angle.
:lol:

Thun

Post by Thun »

somebody cool wrote:disagree

only great song from jemini i thought was "story of my life".
I'll play along. World Renown don't have a great song, and they look like gigantic faggots in their videos.

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

"long gev" is better than any jemini the gifted one song

as 4 them looking like faggots, eh idk what 2 say that

i would just call them "animated", like busta rhymes

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Thun, I edited your post with all of the >>>>>>> because it streatched the page out to much.

I don't get your hate on World Renown, but I enjoy their music, you don't have to.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Jaz wrote:^Yeah jamrage, a friend of mine got it off K-Def's My Space page and sent it to me and it wasn't the full album (I think it was missing three tracks), just the tracks K-Def produced, I really hope it gets picked up by Traffic and gets the remaster treatment and the other tracks put on it.

It's dope, I need to start listening to it again, "Easy on the tweeter, heavy on the bass"
I stopped following this, did you find those tracks? I do remember I asked k-def and he said he doesnt own the 3 missing tracks. would love to have them.

Thun

Post by Thun »

somebody cool wrote:"long gev" is better than any jemini the gifted one song

How is "Long Gev" better than any Jemini song when the rapping on it is markedly inferior to EVERY Jemini song ever recorded?

These guys fucking suck.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Jaz wrote:Thun, I edited your post with all of the >>>>>>> because it streatched the page out to much.

I don't get your hate on World Renown, but I enjoy their music, you don't have to.
Don't ever fucking edit my posts again, chief. If the page needs to be stretched out for the world to understand that World Renown are the most overrated random rap crapfest ever, so be it.

You're a pussy who edited his own posts because you are deathly afraid of Ed Catto. You shouldn't even be a goddamned mod.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

wow @ world renown being better than jemini

how nice i am is amazing and it still probably isnt even better than brooklyn kids

after you get past those two classics the worst jemini song is better than long gev or any other song that you might think is world renowns best track

scars and pain is one of the great ep's ever made...the world renown album is a snoozer with one great track

Thun

Post by Thun »

clark bent wrote:wow @ world renown being better than jemini

how nice i am is amazing and it still probably isnt even better than brooklyn kids

after you get past those two classics the worst jemini song is better than long gev or any other song that you might think is world renowns best track

scars and pain is one of the great ep's ever made...the world renown album is a snoozer with one great track
Yeah but Jemini's EP is easier to find, yo!

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Wow, I can't believe the mention of this album and Jemini in the same thread would start such commotion. I respect everyone's opinion. I certainly was not comparing Jemini to World Renown, I was simply saying that theirs was a similar situation in that they both released solid singles and could not get albums out. Personally, nothing World Renown ever has done or ever will do would be better than "Brooklyn Kids" to me. I love the Jemini EP. "Can't Stop Rockin" is played on my ipod atleast once a day to get hyped. Love that joint.

Yo eightyfive, good looks for the tracks.

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

Thun wrote:
somebody cool wrote:"long gev" is better than any jemini the gifted one song

How is "Long Gev" better than any Jemini song when the rapping on it is markedly inferior to EVERY Jemini song ever recorded?

These guys fucking suck.
lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_X50AR2FHeM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_X50AR2FHeM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vs

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3Pfg-RIHoM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3Pfg-RIHoM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

like is said, i like jemini, but idk, world renown is more original, theres not 2 many who sound like them. jemini can get boring

philosophic

Post by philosophic »

How to post embeded videos :megaman: ?

Jemini boring ? he's creativity himself

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

underneath the url on the right side of the video when its playing in youtube

Blanco

Post by Blanco »

As a matter of fact I know quite a lot about both of these lost albums - I gotta say, nothing to be too excited about...

I was dealing with few japanese labels - besides other cool ones we had, we tried to put together also few of those Lost & Unreleased albums and got in contact with Pudgee who said he don't have rights to his shelved songs (which I think has changed meanwhile - because I heard that his double disc is coming soon by the label we all know and love - let's hope it's true!)

AND I spoke with Seven Shawn of World Renown who said that we can make it happen, but later he found out that Marley wants some crazy dolla for that album (yes Marley has that album - so maybe it's not completelly impossible) - about 30K, which I'm afraid no one's gonna pay him... I've heard that also from other sources - there has been label(s) interested in that project, but it's always the same story....
Which is pretty amazing, because these days 30K is simply too much for that kind of project and it's weird he doesn't see it that way... But hopefully someone's gonna keep on pushing him and he will give it up for a much reasonable price - but as I said, few people have tried before...

About Jemini - I got in contact with his manager and at least he said that they have all the songs and all the rights - we spoke over the phone, changed few e-mails and messages, but it got stuck to the point where I asked the list of all the songs they have - they said they have to negotiate some things etc etc - which was cool, but later I heard from James DL that he contacted them about it and Jem has said to him that unfortunatelly he doesn't have the masters/dats to his old songs.......
If that's the case, then I don't really see that project also happening

I hope someone knows more positive things about those - I would definitelly like to buy Deluxe Editions for both of these!
p e a c e

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i'm with thun big time on this one. world renown is (was) ok. typical shit from that era. i suppose it's decent chillout music.
jemini was far superior. better rapping. better beats. better voice. better.

claiming jemini is boring but these guys aren't is kind of insane though.

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

seven shawn sounds like nobody else, jemini is just typical mid 90s shit...

i think we just have opposite opinions

sup blanco, that pudgee shit sounds nice...