Guru & Solar Interview - FULL INTERVIEW/REMASTERED

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Guru & Solar Interview - FULL INTERVIEW/REMASTERED

Post by Philaflava »

I apologize in advance but to anyone who DL'd the file you did not hear the full thing. I accidentally edited out about 18 minutes.

If you listen to the stream then you heard the entire thing, so this is ONLY for those who downloaded the interview.

Below is a brand new link of the FULL interview and the sound is MUCH better than previously heard.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6120812627d08d87/

You can also stream it on the zshare site as well.

- Is there a chance for a Gang Starr reunion?
- Will he ever work with Southern artists?
- His top 5 rappers of all-time and where he ranks himself.
- Does he still talk to Big Shug or anyone from the GS Foundation?
- What he thinks of Solar vs. Premier
- His new direction with Solar

blog piece
http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... solar.html

Verge

Post by Verge »

I just tried to post this comment on the blog but I'm guessing it's a bit long winded and won't let me publish. Fuck it, those were my thoughts and I took the time to write them, so I'm posting them.
Maaaan, listen. Both sides of this argument are lacking.
#1- Nobody here works for Primo. We do this shit for free, for the love of hip hop. And I highly doubt any of the readers commenting here work for Primo. Some of the opinions from the readers are pretty much the general consensus on Guru's latest works. Check other blogs and you will see that.
#2- Though I have been mostly disappointed in Guru's latest efforts, I don't think he should be disrespected and called all types of homos.
Or at least if you're gonna say things like that, do it creatively. Make us laugh. Some of the comments have been type weak with that. Which leads me to...
#3- The guy commenting on Guru's side of the argument isn't doing that great a job himself. I will agree that, in the interview, they do intelligently present what they're doing with their music. Although I don't think many others are digging much of what they've been doing.

In my opinion, whatever sales they are getting are from either old school heads who are just fiending for anything remotely resembling that Gangstarr feel or younger cats who don't dig the new bs and trust that the name 'Guru' and the Gangstarr affiliation will not lead them astray.
In either case, I'm sure most are being disappointed in one way or another. I know when I copped the 'Back To The Future' mixtape, I was pretty disappointed.

In any event, I will still check Guru's music and hope that he gets back on the right track one day. And I'll still defend the fact he was one of the greats on the Gangstarr work that he did and even with a lot of his side work and production. And I'll even say that 'Solar' isn't the wackest producer ever. Even though he says there's "no shoes to fill, Primo was just this guy who sampled", I still think he's getting most of this flack for being the only guy that 'Guru' will work with, hence trying to fill Primo's shoes(and possibly Guru's brown eye). And for not being good enough to do so. I mean, who could? He's one of the GOATest producers of all time.
Pretty fruitless waste of typing, I know.

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

I did the whole 'french exchange' thing back in 1988 when I was 11 and MC Solar was a big hit on the radio over there, he was all over the main stations with his crap 'ragga-lite' shit. I even remember thinking it was shit back then, before I even knew what hip-hop was.

Verge

Post by Verge »

^I think they're two different people. At least that Solar has been around for awhile and had some beats. This guy is basically a new jack as far as I know. Probably Guru's sister's husband or some shit.

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

fo real, that's weird because I'm sure Guru did hook up with MC Solar at some point, that's what I assumed this was about. fair enough

edit: jazmatazz vol.1, there's a track with mc solaar... the wonders of the intranetz

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's not that Solar. They even brought that up because its a common misconception.

BTW, Solar sent his goons to our blog to post comments.

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:
BTW, Solar sent his goons to our blog to post comments.
Z-list producers have 'goons' ?!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

jazztomovethatass

Post by jazztomovethatass »

It's slightly aggravating to hear Guru not respecting what he had with premo as a duo. shit aint right. Then again it brings a smile to my face to think about how Premier is still on his grind, clockin' loot on his routine and then take a listen to a solar and guru project..
Evidently shows that Premier can extract the best of most mc's, on some real Platon shit.

Thanks for the interview. Who's next?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Besides the non-stop laughter in the comment section with readers vs. Solar I think for anyone who has not heard the interview or read the comments should.

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... solar.html

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Ewwww, these niggas is gay.

What the fuck is up with Solar?????

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

damn man they really come off like a couple of douche bags.. i wish i never heard this lol..