Ras Kass - Jack Frost (Test Press Version With Cuts)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Andyman187

Ras Kass - Jack Frost (Test Press Version With Cuts)

Post by Andyman187 »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, I did a search and nothing so...

The following was taken from Diggers With Gratitude. Like Chris the first time I heard the track was on DJ Rhettmatic's - Piece Of Shit Vol 4 which I threw up on my blog along with Vol 1 & 2. Here's what Chris from DWG had to say.
"I'd originally heard the track on a DJ Rhettmatic mixtape - and I flipped out. I had to ask the man himself for some more info.

According to Ras, "I made/produced 'Jack Frost' on an SP1200 by myself sittin' at the house. I just liked the sample of Nat King Cole, but my album was already done, so I made it for fun".
The unusual vocal sample, 'Jack Frost nipping at your nose' (taken from Nat's 'The Christmas Song'), and freaky background loops were topped with thick drums and Ras's humourous lyrics:

"I'm sporting triple-down rain gear,
Dumping on flying raindeer.
And that overweight queer with the red and white sleeping apparel,
Sliding down chimneys, but staring down his double barrel..."

Clever lyrics aside, the track refers to the true meaning of Christmas and flips 'Santa' into 'Satan', whilst giving you enough momentum with the beats to keep you locked in and listening. I was hooked and I scoured the magazines and record listings to see when it was dropping. The last I saw of it in '96 was in a DJ Babu chart in 'The Flavor' magazine, so I was sure it had to exist on wax somehow.

Fast forward to the year 2000, and a weird-looking 12" turned up with 'Jack Frost' on one side and the remix of 'Anything Goes' and 'Live From C-Arson' - both of which had already appeared on a Priority promo 12" in 1996 - on the flip. No label info, but there were 'street', 'radio' and 'instrumental' versions, so I was sure it was something to do with the label. By this point, Ras's problems with his old label were well-publicised, so it was likely Priority were just milking things unofficially - it was an open secret that the track would not have got sample clearance for the Nat King Cole sample. I picked it up regardless, all the while hoping to cop an 'official' pressing at some point. According to Ras, "The pressing was basically a bootleg - but people from the record company did it".

Fast forward, again, to 2005 and I had the opportunity to pick up a one-sided test pressing with 'On Earth As It Is...' and 'Jack Frost' on. Despite having been told that I should've been looking out for a test press on Specialty, this was a Rainbo Records pressing - and the previous owner had written 'This shit is neva coming out!! This is only 1 of 25 made' on the blank label on the flip. More research concluded that this is exactly what Rhettmatic had been cutting up in his mix all those years ago - and was the only 'proper' press of the full track.
There were no additional versions - just a 'radio' cut of 'On Earth As It Is...' and a 'street' cut of 'Jack Frost' - so I assumed nothing would be different to what I'd already got on the bootleg.

Wrong.

'Jack Frost' on the test press has a 'cleaner' introductory section than the bootleg's radio-ish intro and is a full minute longer, weighing in at 3.51, compared to the bootleg's 2.48 (the bootleg fades out after the closing "So niggaz better bring more 'Heat' than Al Pacino and Robert De Niro..." line).
The original version's extra minute is filled with Ras giving props and some cutting - "I think Q-Bert did the scratch..." - of Nas's 'I leave 'em froze like hero(i)n in ya nose' from 'It Ain't Hard To Tell'.
The 'Golden State Warriorsssssss! Come out to playyyyy!, with the bangin' bottles, is a dope additional element to the outro sequence. Was this outro chopped off the end because Ras was shouting out the Golden State project? Was it because Sony wouldn't clear the cutting up of Nas's voice? Who knows?

There was a sampler cassette of 'Soul On Ice' ('Sampler On Ice', given out with selected copies of The Source magazine - and not to be confused with the 'Soul On Ice' demo version), which had a minute and a half of 'Jack Frost', and as mentioned already, the track was featured on DJ Rhettmatic's 'U Call Dis A Mixed Tape? Piece of Shit Vol. 4' tape. Other than this test press, there is no vinyl of the full version of the track."
Now DWG only offered up a snippet of it in their review, so here is the full track which I spliced out from Rhettmatic's Mixtape.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6265299358856f09/

I think Rhettmatic actually did the cuts tho and not Q-Bert due to the fact that Ras was down with Western Hemisphere and was featured on Key Kool & Rhettmatic's E=MC5.

The Mixtape rip will have to do seeing how there are only 25 Test Presses but does anyone actually have a nice rip of the Test Press Version?

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

i actually have a copy of Jack Frost it was on a Ras Kass sampler that patchwork put out ill dig up the tape and rip it
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

here ya go
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=7907383-3c6" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=7907383-3c6" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

Thanks Mike, but that's not the version I am after. That's the same version that's on the bootleg 12". The Test Press Version is another minute longer and has Ras Kass giving shoutouts as well as some cuts of Nas sayin "I Leave Em Froze Like Heroin In Ya Nose".

Check the zshare link I posted, that's the Test Press Version taken from the Rhettmatic Mixtape. I was just wondering if anybody actually had a nice non mixtape rip of the Test Press Version? Seeing how there are only 25 copies it might be hopeless but worth a shot none the less. Thanks anyway tho.

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

Sorry no, but remember reading about this on DWG
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

I used to have it on a CD-R from MP3's I burned back in the day (98 or 99) so it is out there. That CD is long gone, though.

EDIT: I looked on YouTube and found this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMWIbBDTq4I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMWIbBDTq4I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is what I had on MP3. Is this different from the test press version they're talking about? It's 3:44, has the scratches and shouts but the description says its from "Sampler On Ice".

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Man, that youtube clip is pretty close isn't it?

I think we have 4 versions out there -

sampler on ice version

bootleg 12" version - similar to sampler version but slightly longer, no talking at beginning; no nas sample etc

rhettmatic mixtape version - with the nas sample, but with the mixtape adlibs at beginning and end

and the test press version.

that youtube version obviously isn't from the sampler on ice - i suppose it could be a cleaned up rhettmatic version, but it didn't sound like it - I didn't listen close enough to tell

I think that dwg post had snippets of the beginning and end of the test press version that sounded pretty much like the youtube but better quality

kotep

Post by kotep »

yea the jack frost test press with the sticker on it had an extra verse on it and i have it somewhere....

but i just got back a bunch of my records and my place is a mess....would take a long time to find it...i will try but leavin on a trip in a week...might have to do it when i come back

and the test pressing version that i have has no shout outs and a second verse not on the soul on ice cassingle promo....

we totally flipped out when we got it.....quality is good too but i should shut up about it until i can post it...

sorry guys

kotep

Post by kotep »

and trust me man the version i got has an extra verse....not sure if its the same shit dude was talkin about but its def one long ass verse and one shorter one...and i never heard any of those shoutouts before....

the had a massive sticker on the front written in blue ras font that said jack frost in huge letters.... white sleeve

StratosFear

Post by StratosFear »

I've been on the search for a copy of that test pressing for years. Never have seen one pop up on ebay, but im still waiting.

I contacted Chris from DWG a while back about the 12", he had already sold it to a dealer and tried to contact him to try to get him to sell it to me, but the dealer had sold it to a japanese customer. It's real rare, and worth alot. I doubt anyone here has it.

But as said, aside from the test pressing, the only way to get the full track is on rhettmatic's tape. Thing about the version on Rhett's tape is, it has talking on the intro and outro. So a full clear version in good quality is damn near impossible to obtain without the test pressing. The outro is insanely dope, a great element in the song, which why i refuse to listen to the bootleg version. IMO this is Ras Kass' best ever. A shame they couldn't clear the sample, it would've fit in perfectly on 'Soul on Ice'.

I have a dub of the test press version on an old tape. Quality is lacking but i remastered it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=936e ... f6e8ebb871

kotep

Post by kotep »

i got it but need to look thru all my records to find it
....wont be able to do it until i get back from vacation....early sept....

please remind me and ill do it

StratosFear

Post by StratosFear »

kotep wrote:i got it but need to look thru all my records to find it
....wont be able to do it until i get back from vacation....early sept....

please remind me and ill do it
Alright. I'll hit you up early sept then...

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Just give us your address and we'll look for it

Ho1ogramz

Post by Ho1ogramz »

:lol:
"The sweetest Revolutionary."

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

Rassy! Thanks!

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Oddly enough he did the same thing with the 12" version of "ETC" , he included an acapella and an instrumental (BIRD BEATS!!!) and at the end on the album version on the "Two pulls and pass it line" it fades out but on the vinyl version the beat fades back in and Bird alters the beat a bit and Ras talks shit for a couple of minutes and that's it.

Odnet

Re: Ras Kass - Jack Frost (Test Press Version With Cuts)

Post by Odnet »

Andyman187 wrote: I think Rhettmatic actually did the cuts tho and not Q-Bert due to the fact that Ras was down with Western Hemisphere and was featured on Key Kool & Rhettmatic's E=MC5.
It could have been Q-Bert because Shortkut was on "Sonset".

BIG NASTY

Post by BIG NASTY »

Galvatron78 wrote:Oddly enough he did the same thing with the 12" version of "ETC" , he included an acapella and an instrumental (BIRD BEATS!!!) and at the end on the album version on the "Two pulls and pass it line" it fades out but on the vinyl version the beat fades back in and Bird alters the beat a bit and Ras talks shit for a couple of minutes and that's it.
word? could you hook it up?

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Just found at least one copy of my "Jack Frost" test press 12"es, now I gotta work out how to convert it to mp3 'cause my CD recorder is broke since some days ago...

steezy

Post by steezy »

here's "ETC" from the vinyl, 4:47 long..

Ras Kass - 04 - Etc _Classic Hip Hop_.mp3 - 6.59MB

StratosFear

Post by StratosFear »

Kool Max Power wrote:Just found at least one copy of my "Jack Frost" test press 12"es, now I gotta work out how to convert it to mp3 'cause my CD recorder is broke since some days ago...
You have the Test Pressing?? With the full version of the track??

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Yeah, the one-sided test pressing the digger with gratitude wrote about. Just listened to it, I guess it's similar to the youtube version. Better sound quality of course.

I'm leaving right now to convert the track. Hope to upload it later this night...

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

Kool Max Power wrote:Yeah, the one-sided test pressing the digger with gratitude wrote about. Just listened to it, I guess it's similar to the youtube version. Better sound quality of course.

I'm leaving right now to convert the track. Hope to upload it later this night...
:bow: awww shit mad props Kool Max Power! Can't wait...

StratosFear

Post by StratosFear »

Kool Max Power wrote:Yeah, the one-sided test pressing the digger with gratitude wrote about. Just listened to it, I guess it's similar to the youtube version. Better sound quality of course.

Yo, mad props!! If it isn't a hassle, can you also upload the clean version of 'On Earth As It Is...' That's on it.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Recorded from vinyl on MD, then burnt on CD, then converted to mp3 by iTunes - hope the quality is okay (never did it before that way).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KU6BG73Y

Enjoy!

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

nice
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Here's the blog post me and Markshot did last winter containing what we
thought was all the Ras singles that mattered-
http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... atter.html

Props on the test press.
:cheers:

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

Kool Max Power wrote:Recorded from vinyl on MD, then burnt on CD, then converted to mp3 by iTunes - hope the quality is okay (never did it before that way).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KU6BG73Y

Enjoy!
:cheers: Thanks for taking the time to rip that Max!

StratosFear

Post by StratosFear »

Thanks alot. Definitely Ras Kass' best ever!!

That Nas scratch is key in this song.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Righteous