WAKE UP SHOW FREESTYLES - VOL 1

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

step one

WAKE UP SHOW FREESTYLES - VOL 1

Post by step one »

http://www.discogs.com/release/606980

Wake Up Show Freestyles Volume 1.zip - 75.97MB

1 Wake Up Show Theme Intro
2 Red Alert
3 AMG
4 Lady Patra & Little Vicious
5 Grand Daddy IU
6 Mr. Magic Interlude
7 Freddie Foxx
8 Shyheim & Wu Tang Clan
9 Shyheim
10 Champ MC
11 Supernatural
12 Akinyele
13 Jay Z & Original Flavor
14 H2O
15 Fugees
16 Masta Ace
17 Milk D
18 Buju Banton
19 Born Jamericans
20 Daddy O
21 MC Eiht
22 Kool G. Rap
23 Alkaholiks
24 Maestro Fresh Wes
25 Black Moon
26 Serch
27 Nas
28 Jamal-Ski
29 Krash Man
30 Dred Scott
31 Kurious
32 Bobbito
33 Yaggfu Front
34 Motion Man & Evol

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

there's some classic shit in this!

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

We had heaps of copies of this 2xLP in stock at Mr Bongo when I worked there.

When we shut down we sorted through the old stock and which basically became a free for all. The guys that ran the joint got first call on stock, so generally grabbed the better pieces, but I scored a couple of copies of this and the sequel, plus a whole other bunch of random mid-late 90s 'Freestyle' records.

Good stuff - I'm a sucker for these types of records from that era.

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

Mark 563 wrote:We had heaps of copies of this 2xLP in stock at Mr Bongo when I worked there.

When we shut down we sorted through the old stock and which basically became a free for all. The guys that ran the joint got first call on stock, so generally grabbed the better pieces, but I scored a couple of copies of this and the sequel, plus a whole other bunch of random mid-late 90s 'Freestyle' records.

Mr Bongos is sorely missed. Why did it close down? Was talking about this just a couple of days ago with my mate...
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

I've got volume 2 on CD aswell so I'll try and post that soon.
I noticed Kam from Bongo's has a pretty good blog up with uploads of some Bongo's instores. Dont have the link as Im at work but its worth seeking out (think its called Kam Got Beats).
I was always more of a Handpsun/Unity Records man myself though - always found it a bitch to get served in Bongos!

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

i just typed the post saying that i also have that, but actually when i do search, it wasnt wake up show, it was lost stretch sessions cd1 (1992-1994) and cd2 (1994-1997)
also dope shit
so this will go on download
thanks step one

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

bad-cop wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:We had heaps of copies of this 2xLP in stock at Mr Bongo when I worked there.

Mr Bongos is sorely missed. Why did it close down? Was talking about this just a couple of days ago with my mate...
Yeah, I miss Bongos too. The closing down parties were a good look though ( http://runtheline.blogspot.com/2008/07/ ... osing.html ).

Why'd it close down? I don't know the full ins and outs (I never really pushed the guys for an answer - just accepted I'd be out of a Saturday job), but I'm sure it's safe to say there had been a steady decline in Vinyl sales for a few years leading up to the closure, and obviously rent prices in Soho don't come cheap.
step one wrote:I've got volume 2 on CD aswell so I'll try and post that soon.
I noticed Kam from Bongo's has a pretty good blog up with uploads of some Bongo's instores. Dont have the link as Im at work but its worth seeking out (think its called Kam Got Beats).
Yeah, Kam's blog is well worth checking:

http://www.kamgotbeats.blogspot.com/
step one wrote:I was always more of a Handpsun/Unity Records man myself though - always found it a bitch to get served in Bongos!
A fair few heads complained that the Bongos staff only served their mates, and that it could be hard to get served, but prior to working there I never had any problems buying stuff - then again, I was mates with the staff.

step one

Post by step one »

Mark 563 wrote:
step one wrote:I was always more of a Handpsun/Unity Records man myself though - always found it a bitch to get served in Bongos!
A fair few heads complained that the Bongos staff only served their mates, and that it could be hard to get served, but prior to working there I never had any problems buying stuff - then again, I was mates with the staff.
it was more that id difficulty fighting my way to the front! i was only 16/17 when I used to go in there and it was missions pushing through all the puffa jackets and backpacks! If I remember right they added another counter at the side after a while and that made it easier.
Handspun was tiny but a cool place to hangout for a few hours. Cant forget Dark & Cold on the ground floor, Uptown was opposite, Blackmarket a few doors down, Reckless round the corner, Wild Pytch, Unity etc...good days!

S.DeEzY4O8

Post by S.DeEzY4O8 »

Dang, I have this Vol. 1 in three original formats... The original cassette tape, the original cd, and the original 2xLP.

ALSO, I have SIX 90 minute cassette tapes (3 for each night) of the 2-night special Wake Up Show (February 1994... The Gavin Special) where all these freestyles came from. I plan on uploading all six tapes very soon!
Raymundo Presents...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm - 12am PST
Listen Online: http://kzsu.stanford.edu
Station #: 650-723-9010
http://www.MHzRadio.com

I spin REAL Hiphop live in the mix using 2 turntables, a mixer, and all original vinyl... No mp3's & no computers.

gaccu01

Post by gaccu01 »

Re-up, please?
"Come on Columbo I know you figured this shit out" (El-P)

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

S.DeEzY4O8 wrote:ALSO, I have SIX 90 minute cassette tapes (3 for each night) of the 2-night special Wake Up Show (February 1994... The Gavin Special) where all these freestyles came from. I plan on uploading all six tapes very soon!
Can't wait for this!

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

I have every volume 1-7. I went through a freestyle phase where I had to hear every freestyle from every MC, regardless if they were written or not haha. Most Wake Up Show freestyles are written, which goes against the point but whatever.

The Shyheim freestyle over the C.R.E.A.M. intrumental is dope. He gets hype and must've been like 16 at the oldest. Supernat, Wyclef, Akinyele, Tha Alkaholiks...there's some good stuff on this one. Vol. 3 and 4 are my favorite.