Status or not, they have "something" classic...

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Mr. J Selectah

Status or not, they have "something" classic...

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

I think most of us, can consider Outkasts "Atliens" a classic, for various reasons...and just like Jaz, in that line of thought i've also thought about three specific artists/groups which i consider classic...the first has been posted twice by me before, so this was an opportunity to re-up the album. Snomans debut is an instant classic in my opinion, from the flows, the beats, the content, it's a shame he never got beyond this 1993 release (at least to my knowledge). He's voice is kinda like Extra Prolific from the Hiero crew, but they have different styles...Freedom of Soul are so underrated, i mean, it's not that the lyrics will surprise anyone who listens to it, but the concept of their music, combined with an intelligent choice of samples and accurate flows, just makes it unique in it's own way...Gangsta Shorties, from Miami, but with a based-on eastcoast type of sound, they were just of the hook, some young hardcore cats back then, i like both their albuns (1994-1996), bur the first one always gives me the hype that classics are made off, so damn full of potencial...
Anyways, other choices could come to my mind, like Father Dom, Fu-Schnickens, King just, Main One, 30 Below Funk, among so many other names...

Snoman-The Exceptional One (1993)

01-You gotta slave
02-If you're happy and you know it
03-Money
04-Take a hit catch a buzz
05-Sno's drinking milk
06-Disneyland
07-Follow for now
08-I'll make you moan
09-Love for the last time
10-Love thang

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzyzjzmmg2t

Freedom of Soul-The 2nd coming (1994)

01-The 2nd comin'
02-Home
03-Dusk till dawn
04-Sooner or later
05-Not this record
06-Samples
07-Never changes
08-Soul swinger
09-Sonshyne
10-How much it cost

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2tzuc1lzbn

Gangsta Shorties-Point of no return (1994)

01-Reel to reel
02-City limits
03-Lethal
04-Gangsta gangsta
05-Sign ya life
06-Miami got clout
07-Point of no return
08-Gangsta tip
09-Wanted
10-Time served
11-Real nigga

http://www.mediafire.com/?0zn3tnjuvey
"You should let your man speak on your behalf, because when i let my blade slice, you'll just be half!"

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

Thanks man, that album by Freedom Of Soul is hella dope!

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

No disrespect intended to you, because you post a lot of good shit. But I don't understand the fetishizing of the word "classic". An album can just be really good without being classic. It's kind of ridiculous when every album that is not terrible is a "classic" in here.

Verge

Post by Verge »

'Personal classics' may be more fitting. Will check these, though, thanks.

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Exactly Odnet...and you don't see me displaying the word "classic" in that sense. The same way Jaz thinks of Outkast "Atliens" as a personal classic/favourite, i consider others...and yes, from Nas "Illmatic" to God knows whatever, it seems like nowadays making a classic is more subjective than ever...even the conception of classic itself, where does all the parts fit as one?...the production, the lyrics, the flows, the voice, the styles...because if it really is a classic, i guess it necessarly has to have a relation with the old shit that was made before, nobody makes something new out of nowhere. That's the problem nowadays, the "brands", the image, the names, got the context ouf of hand, there is no content that can define what is a classic...classics were made in 60's, 70's, 80's...then they were "stollen" and reajust to this genre of music, to make a "new classic" type of music, a fusion of genres combined, even tho the art of sampling became lacking of originality, somehow...and that's when a few years later, the industry played a major part to mislead minds on the roots of music, like if the reals classics should be stuck in the shelves for years, and the market be flooded with this fake bullshit culture, from fake posers and r'n'b cats to the post 2000 period, with that southern crunk nonsense, litteraly selling and ruining rap music, etc, etc....and so, where do real classics remain...while some "diggers" keep preserving them, in the end, it's all about matters of oppinion and personal tastes, where either you keep your knowledge to yourself and people who kept real with you over the years, or you'll have to submit to the mainstream world...

PS: Yeah Verge, be sure to check them, it's damn worth it... ;)
"You should let your man speak on your behalf, because when i let my blade slice, you'll just be half!"

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Thanks MR J, I will download the other 2 soon, the Snoman album is quite dope though.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Great post Selectah, that G-Shorties album is definitely a sleeper. I loved their 2nd album as well "44 Wayz".
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Hip_Hop_Head_SF

Post by Hip_Hop_Head_SF »

Odnet wrote:No disrespect intended to you, because you post a lot of good shit. But I don't understand the fetishizing of the word "classic". An album can just be really good without being classic. It's kind of ridiculous when every album that is not terrible is a "classic" in here.
I agree 100%!!!

Too many people label their personal favorites as a "classic" and it's fuckin ridiculous.

And btw, I have both the Snoman and Freedom Of Soul albums on CD and think both are dope! Picked up both in the used cd bins back in '95 or so...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm-12am PST
Listen Online @ http://kzsu.stanford.edu
-Spinnin' REAL Muthafuckin Hiphop on Two
1200's & a Rane Mixer with All Original Wax!

Next Show: Sunday June 13, 2010 (6 Hour 100 bpm & up Hiphop Special with my man DJ B-Side 9pm-3am)

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Yeah I Smell Like Un Kasa, i also have their second album, didn't want to post it tho so the shit could get balanced...Snoman is definitly a classic, in the same way Souls of Mischief 1993 LP is, and it's ridiculous all the especulation about it. The eastcoast got tons of these so called mid-90's classics, and i find it odd all the blabbering about it, otherwise, how come people say "Illmatic" is an eastcoast classic and "Soul on ice" is a westcoast classic...well, you want to know what's classic? The common lack of originality in almost every album from the same era...we were talking Street music, so "a street classic" it is. It's different to say "classic" applied to hip hop in general, because the 80's are gone and they ain't coming back...but anyways, Snoman has been on the shadow for too long.
Ok Hip_Hop_Head_SF, i think we've all cleared that up already, so stop being such a fucking chump fiending to get love in an internet forum...hey if you wanna make a good contribution, "help" me on my "The 5 samples thread" to make it even more diverse, unless of course you despize all the mp3 sources and want it strickly vinyl...see time keeps on moving, and there's deadlines to maintain...

Thun

Post by Thun »

LOL @ not using classic in the classic sense.

The english language gets used and abused, happens so much in TROY I might blow a fuse...

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Yes indeed, and i wonder who's fault it is...classics...well, not to many years ago, i thought classic meant Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Chopin and others...oh unless, it's in the Frank Sinatra kind of way...anyways, let's just focus on the topic for today...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mr. J Selectah wrote:Yes indeed, and i wonder who's fault it is...classics...well, not to many years ago, i thought classic meant Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Chopin and others...oh unless, it's in the Frank Sinatra kind of way...anyways, let's just focus on the topic for today...
Whenever you type I read it as "bork bork bork bork."

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Predictable, i guess....as long as there is no disrespected intended, that's ok...keep it simple.

kimani

Post by kimani »

^that was so amazingly hilarious. I don't mean any disrespect to Mr. J Selectah, but that was the funniest post I've read in months.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Verge

Post by Verge »

kimani wrote:^that was so amazingly hilarious. I don't mean any disrespect to Mr. J Selectah, but that was the funniest post I've read in months.
J Selectah is unintentionally funny as hell on the reg, check the ACthepd and wicked mix thread. You're on point and funny as all hell, J Selectah, whether you mean to be or not.
No disrespect intended, of course.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Where is this Snoman cat from? Thanks for the upload.

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Say what...hahaha, no disrespect at all fellas...you gotta be unique in your own way, even tho this is a virtual community..but seriously Verge, could someone please tell me the meaning of all the emoticons? Since i've expressed myself with them, not always in a good sense...like that black guy with glasses or metal face doom....
Teddy C.D. , Snoman is from Virginia...just a shame he didn't have any more beyond that masterpiece, at least to me, just saying tho, he had mad potencial and was also a conscious cat, styles could get rough and mellow at the same time, lyrics on point, dope beats and appropriated samples, this could have been one of 1993's greatest, but hardly would get to that point, if you consider a Black Moon debut such as "Enta da Stage", among others, to keep this dope artist in the shadow like forever...

Verge

Post by Verge »

With the emoticons, man, I still don't even know what half of them mean, myself. When I get a chance, I'll try to put the meanings of the ones I know up for you.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Mr. J Selectah wrote:Say what...hahaha, no disrespect at all fellas...you gotta be unique in your own way, even tho this is a virtual community..but seriously Verge, could someone please tell me the meaning of all the emoticons? Since i've expressed myself with them, not always in a good sense...like that black guy with glasses or metal face doom....
Teddy C.D. , Snoman is from Virginia...just a shame he didn't have any more beyond that masterpiece, at least to me, just saying tho, he had mad potencial and was also a conscious cat, styles could get rough and mellow at the same time, lyrics on point, dope beats and appropriated samples, this could have been one of 1993's greatest, but hardly would get to that point, if you consider a Black Moon debut such as "Enta da Stage", among others, to keep this dope artist in the shadow like forever...
Dude I totally agree. Snoman's album is classic--I have no problem saying that. If you really like an album and you feel it's one of the best of its kind, then its classic. People need to stop comparing hip-hop albums to one another all the time, and just enjoy them each, because after all, every album is unique and different and enjoyable (well, all GOOD ones), and comparing them too much can take away from each. You know what I'm saying? Classic is classic. That "Sno is drinking milk" song is fuckin' dope. Props for the uploads, J Selectah. :cheers:

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Agree...actually i agree with both perspectives on this matter, the classic in it's "classic sense" VS "personal classics", now that could be a good point, right...
It wasn't random, the reason why i've posted Snomans album about three times in T.R.O.Y., because i think 93 was still on that boom bap level, and cats like these, just didn't receive the proper respect...

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

That's the thing, the early 90's was the classic "PERIOD" of hip-hop. I have no problem calling great albums from that era classic. Because they are. Just because an album wasn't popular during its time doesn't mean it wasn't great or classic. That's the thing, people say albums that changed hip-hop are classic--and that's also true. But what about the people who changed hip-hop for the worst?
Anyways, classic is classic to me lol, whether personal or just universally recognized. I also think we shouldn't get too caught up in the word classic because that can really take away from what we want from the music.
Again, thanks for the uploads my dude.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Teddy C.D. wrote:
Mr. J Selectah wrote:Say what...hahaha, no disrespect at all fellas...you gotta be unique in your own way, even tho this is a virtual community..but seriously Verge, could someone please tell me the meaning of all the emoticons? Since i've expressed myself with them, not always in a good sense...like that black guy with glasses or metal face doom....
This one of the most ridiculous opinions I've seen expressed here in a while. I got a lot of respect for you Teddy, but you're pretty far off the mark, here.
Dude I totally agree. Snoman's album is classic--I have no problem saying that. If you really like an album and you feel it's one of the best of its kind, then its classic. People need to stop comparing hip-hop albums to one another all the time, and just enjoy them each, because after all, every album is unique and different and enjoyable (well, all GOOD ones), and comparing them too much can take away from each. You know what I'm saying? Classic is classic. That "Sno is drinking milk" song is fuckin' dope. Props for the uploads, J Selectah. :cheers: