Atmosphere - Overcast (1997)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

I was just gonna listen to this again. Note the cover is based off of this one
Seven's Travels cover was based off of the White Album.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Da Me wrote:Seven's Travels cover was based off of the White Album.
Was it? Or did they just go white cause they had to scrap the original after the death at one of their shows?

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Dan wrote:
Da Me wrote:Seven's Travels cover was based off of the White Album.
Was it? Or did they just go white cause they had to scrap the original after the death at one of their shows?
thanks for the post yo.

dan is correct.
seven's travels cover was not based on the white album.
the white cover was a last minute change.

the original cover was a b&w photo of a nude woman laying in a field.
but then a girl was raped and killed at one of our shows, at the venue, by a venue employee, a month before album release.
after the death, the photo looked like an abandoned body to me.
so i had them change it to a plain white cover.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

Oh shit is that Sean Daley? I never heard that story before, that's a lot more depressing than basing it off the beatles.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I'd never heard the story either. Is the original artwork viewable anywhere online?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Is the original artwork viewable anywhere online?
i doubt it.
but there is a photographer named dan monick who is releasing a coffee-table-photo-book this fall,
and i think the picture may be included in the book.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I still have an Atmosphere sticker that I never peeled off and on the back it has the original artwork for the album.
Unfortunately my scanner shit the bed this week.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Da Me wrote: Seven's Travels cover was based off of the White Album.
well, the white album was symbolic as it was the first release under apple records. apple ended up wasting money on artists, bands that never paned out, and odd artistic peices purchased by john on lsd.

it was supposed to be called a doll's house. but, as is common in today's world: another group released a song with the same title. thus giving the album the name: the white album

although it never said white album anywhere on the record. this was a two record set, but, as we so often heard:many songs were not meant to be on the album and in heindsight could have made a GREAT single album release, said the incomparable geroge martin

but the band was in flux. george was too busy tryin to fuck eric clapton's wife layla and spent all his time in india playing with the maharishi (?)

anyway, it was the lsd he wanted. mahahrishi had tons of it. the album was a studio piece with tracks recorded seperatley, a far departure from what they did during rubber soul and revolver.

like overcast, the white album is such a representative statement of the year it came out (1997) (1968) i moved from minneapolis to atlanta in 1997, why? to live with a lady i had met. i was leaving a rich scene of mpls artists to go to a place where...well, they had no scene. when i say scene i mean scene, not the scene or seen.

all i took was my sound forge, mixer, geminis and albums. the overcast album got played at every party, as i dj many a party at the time, those folks hated my playlist. but they learned. i soon fled atlanta and went home to mpls just in time for things to get really wild and thats the story of how the white album and overcast are related in my mind

Nav

Post by Nav »

capable_keL wrote: anyway, it was the lsd he wanted. mahahrishi had tons of it.
Didn't the Beatles got thrown out because they were getting high all the time when visiting Mahahrishi ?
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

aleph

Post by aleph »

capable_keL wrote:george was too busy tryin to fuck eric clapton's wife layla
That's natural, since Patti Boyd (aka "Layla") was George's wife at the time.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Nav wrote:
Didn't the Beatles got thrown out because they were getting high all the time when visiting Mahahrishi ?
from what i read the maharishi was enamored by george and john. They would meditate, and drop acid. Live on the lake up on the mountain in a real life rainbow gathering. That dood loved weed and lsd. He would start dishing out his eastern philosphy and the boys ate it up. george was, imo, brainwashed and wanted to stay and trade in his guitar for a sitar

they did the transadential (sp) meditation that...to me..sounds just like doing drugs. but the whole hare krishna movement was very accepting of drugs ...and remember..at that time LSD was perfectly legal not really known for freaky druggies

george had always been obsessed with the eastern philosphies and made it a wedge between himself and the beatles moreso than yoko or paul's controlling personality

george was playing the sitar way back on rubber sould on norweign wood, song can give you chills
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxxGVjLNpek&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxxGVjLNpek&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

you have to appreciate how hard it is to play that thing, george was a very, very, very skilled guitar player. he just picked it up, threw down on the track..and boom..another hit

but george was the first guy to get bored of drugs, ringo was a drunk..paul and john..were...well you know.

but george was searching for more..spirtual meaning than drugs

imo, "love you too" was a pretty groundbreaking display of his ability to combine this eastern style he loved, with his rock style that he owned

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF90rX43VpE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF90rX43VpE&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i guess george was the musab of the beatles who wanted to go his own path. (attempt to tie into topic, full circle)

if you hear harrisons' solo albums after beatles broke, you really see the guy was obsessed with hare krishnas and done with using drugs

aleph wrote:
capable_keL wrote:george was too busy tryin to fuck eric clapton's wife layla
That's natural, since Patti Boyd (aka "Layla") was George's wife at the time.
nicely done. all i know is from this book, i guess back then free love was actually real, if you wanted it ..you jus took it, no big deal man

aleph

Post by aleph »

capable_keL wrote:
Nav wrote:
from what i read the maharishi was enamored by george and john. They would meditate, and drop acid. Live on the lake up on the mountain in a real life rainbow gathering. That dood loved weed and lsd. He would start dishing out his eastern philosphy and the boys ate it up. george was, imo, brainwashed and wanted to stay and trade in his guitar for a sitar

they did the transadential (sp) meditation that...to me..sounds just like doing drugs. but the whole hare krishna movement was very accepting of drugs ...and remember..at that time LSD was perfectly legal not really known for freaky druggies
Donג€™t mean to derail on this Beatles tangent. Itג€™s mostly accurate but:

According to the Beatles themselves, they bounced when an (unfounded) rumor arose that the Maharishi was trying to get into the womensג€™ saris. Mia and Prudence Farrow were allegedly two of them. Anyway, John led the charge to confront him and by his own account told him, weג€™re leaving.

The M. asked why and John replied rather nastily, If youג€™re so fuckinג€™ cosmic, you would know. Then followed the press conference on the return home where John and George denounced him. John wrote a song about it, then retitled it from ג€œMaharishiג€ to ג€œSexy Sadieג€. George later recanted.

They certainly did truckloads of drugs but Iג€™m skeptical that the Maharishi was the supplier. I'm sure that they had many other personal suppliers. For the record, the M. was shocked (gasp!), shocked when he found out his visitors used (gasp!) drugs.

I take it that George is your most admired (didnג€™t want to say favorite) Beatle.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:ohsh:
damn, even the maharishi was a drug crazed molestor
he said he tried to get in her saris :gyeah:

the tangent needs to end, i would love to disect and wax nostalgia overcast, 7, headshots..whatever

i dont have a favorite beatle, thats just too much of a mindfuck to even ponder. just seems john n paul get all the accolades and george gets forgot, and eventually stabbed in the back

:sad:

i am more of a jazz fan or early 90s hip hop enthusiast
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

capable_keL wrote:
i dont have a favorite beatle, thats just too much of a mindfuck to even ponder. just seems john n paul get all the accolades and george gets forgot, and eventually stabbed in the back
even being diplomatic you gave Ringo the shaft. Pause.

I hope Paul dies next So Ringo will finally be the favorite living Beatle to all people. Proving every dog has thier day.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

but then a girl was raped and killed at one of our shows, at the venue, by a venue employee, a month before album release.
Now I know what the song That Night is about.

aleph

Post by aleph »

CRASH DDZ wrote:
capable_keL wrote:
even being diplomatic you gave Ringo the shaft. Pause.

I hope Paul dies next So Ringo will finally be the favorite living Beatle to all people. Proving every dog has thier day.
:rofl:

Deejay Essemdee

Post by Deejay Essemdee »

Back in '98 some time, I was told by a homie to look out for the group Atmosphere and when I saw the Overcast EP on vinyl at my local record store, I bought it!! When I got home and played it, I was pretty unhappy with my purchase cuz although there was a few cool beats, I just didn't like the Emcee. I thought he sounded very whiney and nerdy! So yeah, since then I've just never liked Atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, there's been some really dope beats by the producer Ant over the years, it's just Slug who ruins the songs with his nerdy sound. Nerdy sounding whiteboy emcees does not equal Hiphop to me, I'm sorry. And don't get me wrong, I didn't just make my mind up in '98 and never check 'em out again, cuz every few years I'd peep their new shit and everytime I felt the exact same way as I first did. Oh well...
Raymundo Presents...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm-12am PST
Listen Online: http://kzsu.stanford.edu
---> wicked22@aol.com <---

>>> This Sunday night 8/15 I will be doing an all Pete Rock produced set 1990-2000 <<<

kimani

Post by kimani »

That has absolutely no bearing and doesn't really relate to anything in this thread (which you obviously haven't read); in fact, your bashing of Slug and his fellow "whiny" and "nerdy" emcees adds yet another dimension to your creepy addiction to stating unsought opinions at utterly ridiculous and meaningless times. Please don't respond with anything about digital music files or Asian females, thanks.

P.S. I would pay to watch a brawl between you and Sean...
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Deejay Essemdee

You're a funny guy, kimani. I don't hate or dislike Slug as a person, it's just that as an Emcee he's trash simply because of his nerdy & whiney sounding voice. Why is that considered bashing??? And yes, I luh me sum Asian and PiNaY chicks... Yummmmm!!! ;) hahaha
Raymundo Presents...

>>> This Sunday night 8/15 I will be doing an all Pete Rock produced set 1990-2000 <<<

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Deejay Essemdee wrote:I thought he sounded very whiney and nerdy! Slug who ruins the songs with his nerdy sound. Nerdy sounding whiteboy emcees does not equal Hiphop to me
He sounds white and he is a super nerd but I don't think he is "whiny" at all. In fact, I'm sure Sluggo has always been super-conscious about his voice as are most "white" emcees but there isn't anything whiny about the voice. Maybe you're confusing him for somebody on Anticon.

Also if nerdy sounding whiteboy shit isn't hip-hop, can you tell me your thoughts on Beastie Boys? Even 3rd Bass? Early Eminem is very whiteboy sounding music too.

Deejay Essemdee

Philaflava wrote:Also if nerdy sounding whiteboy shit isn't hip-hop, can you tell me your thoughts on Beastie Boys? Even 3rd Bass? Early Eminem is very whiteboy sounding music too.
^^^Uhhhhhh, I'm not saying a white Emcee in general is a bad thing, I'm saying NERDY sounding whiteboy Emcees. To me, the Beasties were always just some goofy clowns who were havin fun with all this. MC Serch??? Dude, he's always been dope!! And his voice is cool. Same goes for Prime Minister Pete Nice. And as for Eminem, he's one of the dopest Emcees and has always had an OK voice. I can get tired of his voice at times, but just like with the others, he's far from NERDY sounding.

I think Apathy is a very VERY dope Emcee and I've been a fan since '98 when I first heard him. So yeah, I like plenty of white Emcees. I don't care if you sound white, I just can't stand when an Emcee sounds NERDY!! Slug, Sage Francis, Hot Karl and the whole lame Anticon roster are ALL nerdy ass sounding clowns I really can't stand.
Raymundo Presents...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Well rappers like Hot Karl, Paul Barman and other late 90's internet crackas kinda did that style deliberately. It's kind of like when a real ugly chick goes goth and gets all sorts of crazy tats.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Philaflava wrote:It's kind of like when a real ugly chick goes goth and gets all sorts of crazy tats.
:megaman:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

malpractice wrote:
Philaflava wrote:It's kind of like when a real ugly chick goes goth and gets all sorts of crazy tats.
You're not goth baby doll.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

malpractice wrote:
:lol:

Deejay Essemdee

Philaflava wrote:Well rappers like Hot Karl, Paul Barman and other late 90's internet crackas kinda did that style deliberately. It's kind of like when a real ugly chick goes goth and gets all sorts of crazy tats.
Ok. Deliberate or not, those two clowns sound nerdy & lispy as fuck and even look nerdy as fuck. How anyone can like them is beyond me. But then again, I guess if you look like them and are white, you'll probably feel you can "relate" to them n shit. hahaha
Raymundo Presents...

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

Deejay Essemdee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Well rappers like Hot Karl, Paul Barman and other late 90's internet crackas kinda did that style deliberately. It's kind of like when a real ugly chick goes goth and gets all sorts of crazy tats.
Ok. Deliberate or not, those two clowns sound nerdy & lispy as fuck and even look nerdy as fuck. How anyone can like them is beyond me. But then again, I guess if you look like them and are white, you'll probably feel you can "relate" to them n shit. hahaha
Kinda like you, eh?

Deejay Essemdee

aREAL fAG wrote:Kinda like you, eh?
hahaha Yeah thon, JUTHST LIKE ME!! ;) (said in a ULTRA lispy & nerdy whiteboy voice)
Raymundo Presents...