Stretch and Bobbito Re-Unite on WKCR for One Last Show

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Verge

Stretch and Bobbito Re-Unite on WKCR for One Last Show

Post by Verge »

20th Anniversary...
This Thursday night 1AM to 5AM like it always was.
Word. I'll be taping like it's 94...

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/

It's a definite and Lord Sear will be there too. I figured anyone who hasn't been in the "Mapping..." stickied thread might wanna know. It would behoove you to tune in to this historic reunion.
It may also be the very last hip hop spot on that time slot on that station since apparently they may have completely cancelled Sucio smash's show last thursday. Not sure on that, though.

I'm gonna guess that there will be probably an hour or more of talking, at least, I mean it's been a looooong time.
I'm gonna guess that Stretch will probably play some of his favorite records he ever played on the old show.
And I'm praying that Bob will play some demos that we don't already have online. there's definitely a bunch I need.

Share your thoughts, doubts, or just :cheers: it up!

Verge

Post by Verge »

And tune in right now to Stretch and ELi with 90's joints in anticipation for the reunion:
http://www.eastvillageradio.com/shows/P ... entId=7838

Ok, so I was wrong on one thing already... Stretch says he'll be compiling pieces of old shows and playing them Thursday.
Though we don't know what Bob is planning on yet...

aleph

Post by aleph »

True, true

In terms of music I have a feeling they won't stray too far from the stuff they're known for. But whatever they play, it'll be interesting to hear them shoot the shit together and play catch-up after 12 years.

There's gonna be guests, right? If so, the speculation as to who, should be wild.

Did you listen to the last Sucio Smash show? 1st half hour was ill, what with Bobbito coming thru and the El-P/Mr. Len reunion. I got goosebumps for real.

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

that sounds fresher than a fresh pile of dead babies

props verge. hope you dudes up that. i gotta hear it

illest

Post by illest »

I doubt bob plays anything exclusive

Verge

Post by Verge »

^Yeah, never know though, he might throw at least one exclusy out there for us heads. He knows what we want.
aleph wrote: Did you listen to the last Sucio Smash show? 1st half hour was ill, what with Bobbito coming thru and the El-P/Mr. Len reunion. I got goosebumps for real.
I started listening to that show and didn't finish, like an idiot, so I missed the end of it. Sounds like it was a good time.
Thursday should be too.
:cheers:

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Is this reuniting because of the recent confirmation that Squeeze Radio might be going off the air? I heard Sucio Smash complaining for the whole last week's show about Columbia trying to give him the boot. I've had a hard time keeping up with that show in recent years.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

aleph wrote:whatever they play, it'll be interesting to hear them shoot the shit together and play catch-up after 12 years

Same here, i'll be happy to just hear em all together shootin the gift and baggin on each other, and hopefully, theyll open the phone lines....

Whats the bets Stretch will only give QB shouts ?
Verge wrote:And tune in right now to Stretch and ELi with 90's joints in anticipation for the reunion:
http://www.eastvillageradio.com/shows/P ... entId=7838
For some reason, the m3u file dies half-way thrugh for me, every time.... If anyone has already switched the EVR/ Delancey to mp3/ wav, please dont hesitate to up [for the outta towners]

Thanks in advance

IRISH

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Verge wrote:
aleph wrote:Did you listen to the last Sucio Smash show?
I started listening to that show and didn't finish.
http://www.squeezeradio.com/podcast/squ ... fam-a-lam/

http://media.blubrry.com/squeezeradio/w ... FINALE.mp3
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:
Verge wrote:And tune in right now to Stretch and Eli with '90s joints in anticipation for the reunion.
Please don't hesitate to up. Thanks in advance.
gim from DJ Premier Blog said that he would record the WKCR show on Thursday and I'm sure he won't be the only one. Which means that this East Village Radio show is the only one that we're still hoping for MP3s of right now.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

:cheers:

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Verge wrote:
aleph wrote:Did you listen to the last Sucio Smash show?
I started listening to that show and didn't finish.
http://www.squeezeradio.com/podcast/squ ... fam-a-lam/

http://media.blubrry.com/squeezeradio/w ... FINALE.mp3
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:
Verge wrote:And tune in right now to Stretch and Eli with '90s joints in anticipation for the reunion.
Please don't hesitate to up. Thanks in advance.
gim from DJ Premier Blog said that he would record the WKCR show on Thursday and I'm sure he won't be the only one. Which means that this East Village Radio show is the only one that we're still hoping for MP3s of right now.
I will be recording this too..right from radio to CD. Not sure if I will get the whole show but at least 2hr 40mins..I'm expecting a lot of talking/reminiscing.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Or you could always stream it online and record via Audacity, although I don't imagine it will be a problem obtaining a copy come Friday morning. :grin:

In any event, it will be great to relive the olden days of S&B.

Thun

Post by Thun »

How many reunions, "last show ever" events have these guys had in the past year?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

In the past year? I think just this upcoming one.

RELM

Post by RELM »

Thun wrote:How many reunions, "last show ever" events have these guys had in the past year?
None as far as i'm aware! This will be the first one.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah... Stretch, Bob, and Sear have not been on the air together in quite a few years, afaik. Thun is probably thinking of that thread, from within the last year, about the Stretch n Eli show when they were playing demos and we were all excited and reminiscing about the old show.

Anyways, from what I'm hearing now, it will only be from 1AM to 3AM, so it will most likely be mostly talk and maybe some old show clips. Illest was right, I doubt we'll hear any demos or exclusives. But we can hope they go past 3AM and take phone calls, right?
Regardless, this is a good thing for us aging heads. Shit, it's the greatest hip hop radio show of all time and it's gonna be on again for a couple of hours. Thats something to celebrate, imo.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Yeah I got it mixed up with the Stretch and Eli thing.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Verge wrote:Anyways, from what I'm hearing now, it will only be from 1AM to 3AM, so it will most likely be mostly talk and maybe some old show clips. Illest was right, I doubt we'll hear any demos or exclusives. But we can hope they go past 3AM and take phone calls, right?
Yeah Bob said something on Squeeze Radio about wanting to cut out at around three but said that maybe they'll just throw on one of the shows at the end.

I'm sure it'll mostly be joking and reminiscing with Stretch, Bob and Sear.

I want them to be inspired / allowed to go past three as well but if it's still gonna be held in the same studio as Sucio Smash (which they might've alluded to in the last Squeeze show as well) then they don't even have phone lines in there right now.

I hope I'm wrong about that though.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

These guys are old, man. They don't want to be up until 5 AM. LOL

Honestly, I would love to hear Stretch DJ the way he did back in the days for 2 hours, and Bob play demos for 1 hour and them get on the phone and have Krunchtime for an hour, but I know that is not realistic. If they come on for a couple of hours and just talk, maybe have some anecdotes backed up with certain freestyles and or tracks, that would be good enough for me. It sounds gay, but for us who grew up with the show, like I said in the other thread, it's just a bookend to our teenaged/college years and a nice way to close out something that we never got to officially end in a sufficient way.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Verge wrote:Shit, it's the greatest hip hop radio show of all time
Haha, dont let Stretch hear ye say that [Remember when he took a listener down a peg by informin them Marley Marls In Control took that title]...
pradadon wrote:These guys are old, man. They don't want to be up until 5 AM. LOL

LMAO, im older than these feckers, stayin out til 5am is a treat !

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

I see Stretch Booger is inviting people like Q-Tip up to the show..... This could be some real live business, who knows what surprises await us

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Apparently Premier is gonna be there too:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2010/10/20 ... -12211997/

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Verge wrote:they don't even have phone lines in there right now.

I hope I'm wrong about that though.
Somebody in the studio asked Sucio to do phone calls last week and he pointed out that it was out of order. It would've been nice to hear from listeners, I hope they can fix that tonight. I remember shit breakin down for Bob & Sear during the CMFamalam era too.

It's pretty unbelievable the inefficiency of that radio studio considering how good looking the building it is located at Columbia. I grew up at Columbia, my father used to teach across the street and graduated with a Doctorate from the school so I know the place like the back of my hand. I know the school has enough dough to fix the dame phone lines.

I might take a trip to the studio tonight to check out the festivities, I'm about 15 minutes from them here in Washington Heights.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

nickwoj

Post by nickwoj »

Kage?

damn, vibe is fuckin up haha

Versive

Post by Versive »

Verge, you're gonna upload this right? I'm not trying to stay up until 5.

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

imagine if you was in London. i have to think about a shift from 6am to 11am. for sure i will be dreaming

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

-SyLar- wrote:imagine if you was in London

no imaginin here...

Night night

Im off to bed early, with an early alarm...

What a joyous way to start a weekend, with Bobby and Bones and a fresh roast in full effect

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Versive wrote:Verge, you're gonna upload this right? I'm not trying to stay up until five.
Multiple people have said that they will be recording / taping, so yes, I'm sure at least one person will be upping this for the people who (literally) sleep and don't tune in to the show.