New TROY Challenge - Posse Cuts

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

New TROY Challenge - Posse Cuts

Post by Philaflava »

Peace to Professor Elemental for reminding me it's about that time...

Peep http://www.thetroyblog.com/2010/11/20/s ... as-blasta/

If you're down we'll gather the 10 best submissions, put them on the blog and then have a poll like we usually do.

Rules:

Track: 13
Years: 91-95
Artists You Must Use At least Once: Kool G. Rap, Snagglepuss & Kurupt (does not have to be their own track)
Artists per track: At least 3
NO WU-TANG or WU-TANG artists tracks
MP3 Quality: VBR - 160 or higher

Deadline: December 10th
Last edited by Philaflava on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

professorelemental

Post by professorelemental »

Shit, I better put my money where my mouth is and come up with something myself...

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

how many rappers must be on there at least?
how many features at least 2,3?
is a wu track like triumph, deadly melody or protect ya neck ok or not?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:how many rappers must be on there at least?
how many features at least 2,3?
is a wu track like triumph, deadly melody or protect ya neck ok or not?
Features: Unlimited
Rappers: At least 3, preferably 4 or more

No tracks by groups with just group members, so no Wu-Tang unless it features other multiple artists. Basically no Wu-Tang. I'll edit the rules to make this easier.

godmc

Post by godmc »

all men are dogs

http://www.zshare.net/audio/829354071a0be2f6/

snagglepuss in the house

godmc

Post by godmc »

oh wait... yeah never mind. i read that wrong. that's too many posse cuts for me. i thought you were collecting 10 tracks and making a posse cut compilation for the blog - i thought that would've been a nice little comp... ah well, there's a free track to use for whoever needs it.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

91-95 is a little limiting...

Mark 563

Re: New TROY Challenge - Posse Cuts

Post by Mark 563 »

Philaflava wrote:Peace to Professor Elemental for reminding me it's about that time...

Peep http://www.thetroyblog.com/2010/11/20/s ... as-blasta/

If you're down we'll gather the 10 best submissions, put them on the blog and then have a poll like we usually do.

Rules:

Track: 13
Years: 91-95
Artists You Must Use At least Once: Kool G. Rap, Snagglepuss & Kurupt
Artists per track: At least 3
NO WU-TANG or WU-TANG artists tracks
MP3 Quality: VBR - 160 or higher

Deadline: December 10th
I've been waiting for a new TROY challenge - definitely gonna try and enter.

A bit concerned about Snagglepuss though - as much as I'm a fan, I'm struggling to come up with many tracks that he's on. Am I the only one, or is everyone's collection going to feature 'All Men Are Dogs'? His discogs entry isn't all that helpful.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Here's a suggestion for those searching for Snagglepuss, the more common spelling is Snaggapuss and he also has gone by Pooch, Pucci and Snaggdadon and is from Doo Wop's Bounce Squad.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

TheBigSleep wrote:Here's a suggestion for those searching for Snagglepuss, the more common spelling is Snaggapuss and he also has gone by Pooch, Pucci and Snaggdadon and is from Doo Wop's Bounce Squad.
I knew he was in the Bounce Squad, and obviously there's a bunch of Doo Wop freestyles around, but as for actual releases, it seems to be slim pickings.

It doesn't help that sites like discogs have him mixed up with Reggae artist Snagga Puss.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah I just meant when people were requesting certain tracks in the past that a lot of the time they couldn't find them by searching for the word Snagglepuss.

It is true that he doesn't have much of his own material and that some of it is difficult and / or impossible to find online but I think he just has to be featured on the track, right?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:91-95 is a little limiting...
That's why it's called a challenge :lol:

RE: Snagglepuss there are quite a few posse cuts he's appeared on. I'm not going to give them away, no hand outs here.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Sounds like a nice idea to put recognition on quality, slept on Hip Hop. I'll be waitin to see what songs come out of the entries.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

Philaflava wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:91-95 is a little limiting...
That's why it's called a challenge :lol:

RE: Snagglepuss there are quite a few posse cuts he's appeared on. I'm not going to give them away, no hand outs here.
nice hint :lol:

Huldrich Bullsh!t

you really hit the nail on the head with the 95 cutof date. searching for shit i found i could probably make a dope compilation solely by tracks released in 96 :lol:

well ima keep searching.

professorelemental

So, is it best to avoid the obvious tracks- live at the bar b que, flava in ya ear, scenario remix etc. Should I go for the best tracks or the best obscure tracks. Or both? Glad you included snagglepuss, he's one of my favourite underrated emcees.

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

man, have I been sleeping...snagglepuss is DOPE!

professorelemental

Does anyone know what happened to him? Last I heard him was on a posse cut called 'no hand outs' with the liks and xzibit in about 97. ... He's probably working in a call centre now with members of zhiggie and two kings in a cipher.

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Philaflava wrote: no hand outs here.
isn't that a hint? :lol:

Huldrich Bullsh!t

professorelemental wrote:Does anyone know what happened to him? Last I heard him was on a posse cut called 'no hand outs' with the liks and xzibit in about 97. ... He's probably working in a call centre now with members of zhiggie and two kings in a cipher.
no idea. but heres this http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/snaggapuss

maybe hes working with zhigge in a call center but two kings in a cypher produced a lot for Puffy im sure they dont really have to work due to royalties (hypnotize, all around the world, benjamins,...)
Last edited by Huldrich Bullsh!t on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

professorelemental wrote:Does anyone know what happened to him?
Well before he started rappin', back when he was still known as both Pooch and / or Pucci, Big L's oldest brother Don Ice dated his sister and L and him became friends growing up, though they never rapped together 'cause he didn't really spit much when L was around at the start.

After L was killed he helped put together The Big Picture LP with Rich King at the start of the new millennium and more recently has been working on the Street Struck: The Big L Story with L's brother Don and fellow childhood friend turned director, Tommy "Jewlz" Gin.

And like I said, he's got some more recent (read: non-T.R.O.Y.) material under the name SnaggDaDon as well.

professorelemental

Wow- I didn't really expect to get an answer to that, thanks a lot. I will track him down as snaggadon and see what he sounds like these days. Bet he's still dope.
2 kings in a cipher went on to work on hypnotize and the benjamins? Man, every time I think I know something about hip hop, I find out how little I really know. There was me thinking they were in a call centre and they are probably living in a castle, sipping champagne through platinum teeth.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

we all only know so much, and thtas what this forum is for.

does anyone own this snaggapuss album from cdbaby i posted?

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

D-Dot is even still active in the music scene iirc, not producing though (I may be mistaken).

I know he did some work on the Notorious movie

professorelemental

Is he the producer from zhiggie? I loved them cats. It doesn't quite stand the test of time and 'toss it up' always sounded like 'tossing off'- english slang for a wank, but they were still dope in a truly t.r.o.y way. Sorry I've dragged this thread way off topic. Ill get to making my mix now...

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

^D-Dot is from Two Kings In A Cipher

Huldrich Bullsh!t

d-dot and amen Ra.

bothproduced alot for Puffy (and i guess even more than its known as ghosts)

and D-Dot is the Madd Rapper so also kinda responsible for 50
although anyone who doesn't think he was absolutely great on how to rob is out of his mind

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

This is a dope challenge. I'm gonna see about giving it a try. Cats on this forum always come up with amazing comps that school me on stuff I had overlooked or never heard before.

Perhaps the requirements should indicate that the 3 artists cannot all be from the same group. I have a hard time seeing a Brand Nubian, Digable Planets, or even Souls of Mischief track with no guests on it as a posse cut.

I'm going to attempt to make my own requirements a bit more strict for it to be a "posse cut"
- at least 4 emcees, at least 2 artists/groups represented
- no choruses more than 2 bars between the emcees (mostly just passin the mike like Symphony, Scenario, etc.).

Not tryin to start a debate or something, I just prefer to see posse cuts that way. We'll see if I can do it. :)

professorelemental

I agree, a group doing a track cant really be seen as a posse cut.

I really wanted to stick 'show and prove' off BDK's 'daddy home' on mine but I can't get over how annoying scrap lover sounds. shame- so many dope posse tracks with one emcee that just ruins it. and come to think of it, what did jay mean with that 'I be like prince jeans I bring the ass out the nigga' line . That's just weird. This challenge has been a good excuse to check out lots of tracks I hadn't heard for ages though....

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

strategy786 wrote:Perhaps the requirements should indicate that the three artists cannot all be from the same group.
Philaflava wrote:No tracks by groups with just group members...