The Lamont "Big L" Coleman Thread (Now with L & Pun Rhyming)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

See? I knew we couldn't trust anything Lord Finesse said ever since he left Main Source.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

CRASH DDZ wrote:See? I knew we couldn't trust anything Lord Finesse said ever since he left Main Source.
:rofl:

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I was part of this culture when he was still putting out cassettes and getting his ideas jacked by Biggie Smalls and Jay-Z.
His albums didn't come out on cassette.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Weren't half these songs on the promo tape? and been around on J-Love mixtapes and shit for quite some time? Which of these are "new"?

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Regardless, it's a new Big L album and it's likely to be better than The Big Picture.... why scrutinize, especially before you've even heard it?

It is a shame the Finesse/ Premier tracks aren't gonna be on there though, they're essential. I was excited about the Jay-Z, BDK and even the Eminem feature too.

step one

Post by step one »

The Frankest wrote:Regardless, it's a new Big L album and it's likely to be better than The Big Picture.... why scrutinize, especially before you've even heard it?
no ones saying its wack, just saying that most it has been been heard already.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

vermillion wrote:
CRASH DDZ wrote:See? I knew we couldn't trust anything Lord Finesse said ever since he left Main Source.
:rofl:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
Gurped Out wrote:
8. Tonyג€™s Touch = some freestyle on tony touch's show?

11. Harlem World Universal = maybe a children of the corn song?

16. I Should Have Used A Rubber = Clinic?

18. Yes You Can = Yes You May?
Yes, it's the Tony Touch 139 Freestyle to Ten Crack Commandments, the '98 Universal / New York Freestyle that features McGruff, I-Born and C.L. Smooth (produced by DJ Premier), I Shoulda Used a Rubba is the original / official title for Clinic and Yes You Can is almost assuredly (Can I) Hit It.
step one wrote:His albums didn't come out on cassette.
They did, though mostly promo only. (Also, before he was signed, in the late eighties and very early nineties he was making demos and mixtapes around Harlem.)
blastmaster wrote:Weren't half these songs on the promo tape? And been around on J-Love mixtapes and shit for quite some time? Which of these are "new"?
It's hard to tell based on the butchered track names but I'd say none of them are unheard. Very few of them have been released officially, which is basically the entire point of this comp.
The Frankest wrote:It is a shame the Finesse / Premier tracks aren't gonna be on there though, they're essential. I was excited about the Jay-Z, BDK and even the Eminem feature too.
Yeah, that's the other project, still on hold. Em was probably just gonna be remixing / updating a beat.

People need to think less new album and more best of / greatest hits / rarities collection.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

step one wrote:His albums didn't come out on cassette.
you say 'Lifestyle Ov Da Poor and Dangerous' is not on cassette? I have the only one then!

as long as these are presented cleanly and freshly in a compilation format, i won't mind hearing them again. Big L is an artist that should always have some sort of presence in hip hop, as best as one can.

there's a whole new generation of people who have probably never heard any of these Big L songs, so make the god damn album so these fools can download it and hear how far below these modern MCs are to Lamont.

peace
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

why wouldn't em hop at the chance to lay a verse down next to L's?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

This was all conjecture from years ago but back then he was only scheduled to remake a beat, partly because they only want the guest vocals to be from artists that knew L, ones that he worked with and / or looked up to, which rules out newer artists. Big Daddy Kane, Herb McGruff, Jay-Z were really the only people ever lined up to spit verses.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

TheBigSleep wrote:Here's a Ricky Powell photo of Rich and L at the Ebonics Photoshoot:

You know what? This pic can be seen inside the "139 & Lenox" digipack once you pull the disc out. Now it all makes sense, thanks again. ;-)

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, they needed cover art for Ebonics / Size 'Em Up, which was gonna be released through Fat Beats distribution and that's one of the shots from that day.

I guess Rich King is involved with the re-release of this bootleg then because that picture is straight outta his collection and only surfaced relatively recently (before the 139 & Lenox mix dropped but still).

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

No doubt, this pic + the executive producer mention = Rich King driven project.
Still, we don't know who's getting paid in the end (lol).

step one

Post by step one »

Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:Unrelated (but relevant), Huddy Combs, a.k.a. Huddy Sixxx from Harlem World just got killed in a car accident today:

damn... rappers are fallin' like flies this year :sad:

Hud, stay on the low, pop two cops
Thug, Against All Odds, like Tupac

RIP
saw the name the day but didnt realise who he was. I love that 'Cali Chronic' track.

docpacino

Post by docpacino »

Actually, I have one of those cassettes as well. Seems there are 2 of them.

itzmurda

Post by itzmurda »

I searched and didn't see a thread about this.
On the 10-year anniversary of Big Lג€™s first posthumous release going Gold, his family releases brand new album with 21-unreleased songs

New York, NY ג€“ SMC Recordings, along with Distrolord Inc, is set for a huge release from New York rapper Big L, close to 12 years after his death. Since his passing, albums have been released under the guise of the Big L imprint, but none except his sophomore release was official. Ten years later, Big L fans will be able to enjoy all unreleased material with his newest album Return of the Devilג€™s Son and know that this is an official project backed by his family.

ג€œThis album is supported 100% by the Big L family.ג€ Said Big Lג€™s older brother Donald Phinazee ג€œIג€™ve been talking about this album for the last six years and it means everything to me. This is an original Big L album and Iג€™m excited to put my brother out.ג€
Lamont Coleman aka Big L, a witty and lyrical Harlem rapper, was buzzing in the underground hip-hop scene in the early 90ג€™s; running with the likes of Camג€™Ron and Mase, who shot to stardom during this time. His Columbia Records debut in 1995 was mildly successful commercially but vastly influential artistically. Then in 1999 when he was just 24, Big L was tragically killed and the case still remains unsolved. Around this time, an independently released single was getting spins on local radio and in 2000 his posthumous second album (ג€œThe Big Pictureג€) was received by acclaim and phenomenal sales.

Return of the Devilג€™s Son has 21 unreleased songs, including ג€œRight To The Topג€ featuring Royal Flush and Kool G Rap.
ג€œThis album will show where he should have been and where he was about to go. Itג€™s going on 12-years since heג€™s been gone. He would have been that one; this project will show where he should have been at,ג€ said Donald Phinazee.

Return of the Devilג€™s Son on Distrolord/SMC Recordings will be available online and in stores November 23, 2010.

1.) ג€œReturn Of The Devils Sonג€ (produced by Showbiz)
2.) ג€œDevilג€™s Son (produced by Showbiz)
3.) ג€œZone Of Dangerג€ (produced by J-Love)
4.) ג€œSandman 118ג€
5.) ג€œSchool Daysג€
6.) ג€œPrinciple Of The New Schoolג€ (produced by Showbiz)
7.) ג€œUnexpected Flavaג€ (produced by Lord Finesse)
8.) ג€œTonyג€™s Touchג€
9.) ג€œRight To The Topג€ f/Royal Flush & Kool G Rap (produced by Domingo)
10.) ג€œOnce Againג€ (produced by J-Love)
11.) ג€œHarlem World Universalג€
12.) ג€œI Wonג€™tג€
13.) ג€œHard To Killג€
14.) ג€œPower Movesג€
15.) ג€œIf You Not Awareג€
16.) ג€œI Should Have Used A Rubberג€
17.) ג€œDoo Wop #5ג€
18.) ג€œYes You Canג€
19.) ג€œAuditionג€
20.) ג€œMCג€™s Whatג€™s Going Onג€ (produced by Showbiz)
21.) ג€œSlaying The Micג€

I guess it got ripped today, but it's only $16.63 @ Amazon if you wanna support.
http://www.amazon.com/Return-Devils-Son ... B004648VZC

I was just wondering if there was any material on it that we have never heard before.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

14.) ג€œPower Movesג€
15.) ג€œIf You Not Awareג€
18.) ג€œYes You Canג€
got these on another bootleg titled as "Now Or Never", "Games Females Play", and "Hit It", in that order

20.) ג€œMCג€™s Whatג€™s Going Onג€ (produced by Showbiz)
also heard this before as "I Don't Understand It (OG Version"

still looks like a nice compilation though...

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

This got talked about in my Big L thread, so I'm merging it with that one.

YoCritic

Post by YoCritic »

What's the deal with documentary; is it coming out or what?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, Jewlz has ten hours of footage and found a new editor to chop it up, plus they were waiting on some people for interviews, Dame Dash being one of them.

Now it's about time for marketing and promotion once all that is done. Should drop sometime early next year, pending any further issues.

grass

Post by grass »

Maybe someone could answer this but I always wanted to ask Finesse why Big L didnt feature on The Awakening?
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I've definitely been asked that on occasion and've wondered that too, don't have an answer for you though. That might be one for 'nesse himself.

step one

Post by step one »

grass wrote:Maybe someone could answer this but I always wanted to ask Finesse why Big L didnt feature on The Awakening?
the only reason I can think of is that Columbia wouldn't give clearance or something

grass

Post by grass »

step one wrote:
the only reason I can think of is that Columbia wouldn't give clearance or something
Yeah, thats been my number one reason also. But I really think its strange you never read anything about that before, and I've been reading a LOT of Lord Finesse articles through the years.

Was supposed to interview Nesse next friday here in sweden on the wild pitch legends tour but the show unfourtunately got canceled due to the promoter couldnt find a vacant venue. Just my luck.

Hopefully someone else could ask him the question on occasion.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah that's pretty much what I guessed. The Awakening dropped in early '96 and L was probably still tied up with Columbia at the time. Either that or there were problems with Penalty, but I'd figure it was a label issue in general. L definitely still helped promote The Awakening anyway though.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... 4"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... 2F23935354" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>
As Slice-of-Spice and Lord Finesse get ready to drop a stupid amount of vinyl heaters, we're throwing this little curveball at you.

What we have right here is a remix of 'You Know What I'm About' (originally titled 'Knockin' Niggaz Out' before it was changed for the Trespass soundtrack) which Finesse did himself back in 2005. Originally intended for the 'Funky Technician Remix Project' as a bonus cut, this track is no longer slated for a release, as there's quite simply too much material, even for the bonus vinyl and digital versions.

But don't fear none, as Slice-of-Spice is going to drop this on a super limited promo only FLEXI DISC! That's right, a flexi disc, something that's gonna throw most of y'all right back to your childhood, cutting out records from the back of cereal boxes and comics.

The flexi will be available ONLY from the Slice-of-Spice table at the WFMU Record Fair in New York, on Saturday 29th October. Be there and get your vinyl nerd on, so you can be square like this Flexi!

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

This is pretty bad. I also think this is one of the more pointless projects of recent years. I don't think anyone cares to hear that album remixed...especially if it's going to sound like this.

drunkmonk36

Post by drunkmonk36 »

Odnet wrote:This is pretty bad. I also think this is one of the more pointless projects of recent years. I don't think anyone cares to hear that album remixed...especially if it's going to sound like this.
yeh, that's dead-terrible.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

lol they hype this up like mad and it's mad average.