Jeru's "Hot 97 Promo" (10 Crack Commandments)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Echo Leader

Jeru's "Hot 97 Promo" (10 Crack Commandments)

Post by Echo Leader »

I haven't started a new thread in a minute (or posted in one, for that matter) but I thought that the TROY heads would appreciate this...

DJ Premier Blog: Jeru The Damaja's Hot 97 Promo (10 Crack Commandments)

Wow. Primo blessed us with this one. For those that don't know, this is a promo for Hot 97's "9 to 5" show that Jeru & Primo whipped up back in the mid-90's. Puffy heard the beat, hollered at Premier, Biggie made "10 Crack Commandments," Jeru got pissed, and the rest is history. The end.

Massive find. I've been wanting to hear this ever since I read about it in Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists. Scratch one off of the Grail scroll.

Enjoy!

step one

Post by step one »

:ohsh:

good work - where you find this?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

:cheers:

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

preem played it in a show after my brother asked him if he could play it... ofc preem doesn't hold back :D.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

wow... been wanting to hear this ever since I heard about that song... thanx :cheers:

step one

Post by step one »

shame (but not suprising) that theres some idiot talking all over it

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

I've been looking for this for years.
I hoped it was more than one verse.
And yeah, fuck that guy for jabbering over it.
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

step one

Post by step one »

RandyWest78 wrote:

step son wrote:shame (but not suprising) that theres some idiot talking all over it
That idiot is D-Stroy of The Arsonists... He's the host of that show! And that's how the show is... People talk over the music the whole show. Crazy Legs talks over songs too, are you gonna call him an idiot as well?
so cos he's a rapper he cant be an idiot? he didnt maybe think that seeing as it was some shit most people have never heard before they might like to hear it without him yabbering all over it? drop a station ID or something once or twice and shut the fuck up.

oh, You realise Primo probably played this off Serato right? :lol:

(dont reply/quote me anymore, i have you on ignore)
Last edited by step one on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william g.

Post by william g. »

RandyWest78 wrote:
step son wrote:where you find this?
Well, Gim posted that on his http://www.djpremierblog.com site and he got it from The Lunch Breaks Show with Crazy Legs and D-Stroy, which by the way, is a pretty entertaining show. DJ Premier was the guest yesterday 01/10/2011. I made a post about it earlier... http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 2bcab0aa7f

step son wrote:shame (but not suprising) that theres some idiot talking all over it
That idiot is D-Stroy of The Arsonists... He's the host of that show! And that's how the show is... People talk over the music the whole show. Crazy Legs talks over songs too, are you gonna call him an idiot as well?

Yeah,D-Stroy and Crazy Legs are far from idiots but..

Do they realize what a jewel they have there?

I mean,why even play it if you can't enjoy and hear all of it..

I couldn't even make out some of Jeru's words.

Even if that "Lunch Breaks " show is dope,it's hard to enjoy if someone is always talking over the music.

I don't think i want to listen to a show where someone's always talking.

But whatever with that..

What up Wicked!

Thun

Post by Thun »

Wait why is this a jewel again when biggie made a better song out of it? This is just a boring random rarity for bork over-obsessives too foreign and stupid to know it was a promo for Angie Martinez, the sworn archenemy of keep-it-real college DJ types.

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

Thun wrote:Wait why is this a jewel again when biggie made a better song out of it? This is just a boring random rarity for bork over-obsessives too foreign and stupid to know it was a promo for Angie Martinez, the sworn archenemy of keep-it-real college DJ types.
I understand where you're comin from, but I think it's just cool to hear it since there's some history behind it. Ya know? But yeah, it's not that big of a deal to me, but at least I could say "oh I heard that shit..."

William my man, whattup?!! It's almost time for Spring Training! :lol:
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:Wait why is this a jewel again when biggie made a better song out of it? This is just a boring random rarity for bork over-obsessives too foreign and stupid to know it was a promo for Angie Martinez, the sworn archenemy of keep-it-real college DJ types.
Personally, just an interesting tidbit I've always wanted to hear. Downloaded, listened, deleted, kept it movin'.

But hey, do you.

illest

Post by illest »

keep showin minaj

Thun

Post by Thun »

illest wrote:
keep showin minaj
Minaj >>>>>>>>>>>>>. Jeru and DJ Premier

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Even though I like the Jeru promo, I feel like it's not something to hold as a treasure knowing it was made for fuckin Hot 97, the same station that canceled my favorite radio shows of the mid/late 90's, one of which Premo used to be a substitute DJ for. Hearing that radio promo brings back memories of how Hip Hop feel deeper into the trap of the corporate industry. I can see how people who aren't from the tristate area might look at the promo as a lost jewel though, but I used to hear it regularly since I'm in Manhattan.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

you are aware that this forum you mod and the blog you contribute to are quite heavily centered around the discovery of obscurities like this?
Of course its not gonna stand up against the Biggie track - its a 30 second radio promo - but most people with a passing interest in 90s Hip Hop would probably be interested in hearing it at least once. I doubt thats restricted to 'bork over-obessesives' either.

anyway, you knew all this and were just doing what you do so...

Thun

Post by Thun »

I just asked what made it a "jewel." I'm sorry that it's close to your heart.

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:I just asked what made it a "jewel." I'm sorry that it's close to your heart.
its not. you cant do without going from one extreme to the other can you?

MosesJonesJr

Post by MosesJonesJr »

fatboybrandon wrote: I can see how people who aren't from the tristate area might look at the promo as a lost jewel though, but I used to hear it regularly.....
That's the truth.

mberon20

Post by mberon20 »

Thx a lot.