Best album of 1991?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Nav

Post by Nav »

Echo Leader wrote:Image

Almost forgot about this '91 classic. Far superior to any album posted in the thread, and any album released in 1991 for that matter.

Forget the fact that Grand Hank (totally ill name btw!) never released a full-length record, each of the three songs (and their respective mixes/edits) contained on this genre-smashing piece of wax are better than "The Message," "Top Billin'," and "The World Is Yours" combined. Completely transcendent work and a damn shame Grand Hank never recorded anything else. I can't for the life of me figure out why this was in the "Free Bin" outside of that record shop, shit's got Amsterdam goin' nuts!!
Borks be paying top dollar for this.

As for the answer, the one that describes the ultimate summer job.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

Funny noone mentioned it yet.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

^good call on hazardous. didn't hear that till fairly recent. not on a level with his mid 90s stuff but good for 91

I've got this somewhere lol

think Ive listened to it twice, there's one really good track can't remember what it is

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

vaporized2 wrote:^good call on hazardous. didn't hear that till fairly recent. not on a level with his mid 90s stuff but good for 91

I've got this somewhere lol

think Ive listened to it twice, there's one really good track can't remember what it is
Good call on Professor Griff! Dope album indeed. My joints are "Jail Sale" & "My Idelogy".

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Echo Leader wrote::err: at some of these responses.

There is no WAY that Redhead Kingpin is better than any of the jawns Step listed. Come on, man.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to Mr. Lawnge fart into a microphone than most of what's be posted in this thread.
didnt say that Kingpin is THE BEST album of 91.

i always liked late 80s RnB/New jack swing stuff more than west coast gangsta rap...
as i say i jus added albums i like.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Da Publisher

Post by Da Publisher »

I forgot to mention Ain't A Damn Thang Changed by WC And The Maad Circle as one of my favorite Hip-Hop albums from 1991.

2Pac -2pacalypse Now
Compton's Most Wanted - Straight Check N Em

are two more to round out my top 5 (1 & 2 in previous post)

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Props to whoever mentioned the Silver Bullet album!

william g.

Post by william g. »

In no order..

Gangstarr
Main Source
A Tribe Called Quest

Most albums mentioned on here are great album's though..

Thun

Post by Thun »

My top 10 of 1991, in order:

Main Source
A Tribe Called Quest
Black Sheep
Gang Starr
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
De La Soul
KMD
UMCs
Leaders Of The New School
Del

Honorable Mention:

NWA
Slick Rick
Organized Konfusion
Ed O.G. and Da Bulldogs
Tim Dog

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: what a year

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Cypress Hill & Low End Theory.

Efil4zaggin is fucking garbage.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

De La
N.W.A.
Organized Konfusion
Tribe
Gangstarr

Surprised people aren't ranking De La and N.W.A. higher, those albums are two of my all-time favs.

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Some more mentionable stuff

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

My 1991 album of the year:

Organized Konfusion - s/t

Closely followed by:

Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Gang Starr - Step In The Arena
ATCQ - Low End Theory
Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern
De La Soul - ...Is Dead

Grand Hank and Godfather Don??? LMAO, back then nobody was really interested in stuff like that. Some distributors even offered sealed copies of the Godfather Don album for 7 or 8 $ when the Cenobites shit and the first Hydra singles were out, and no one cared about it.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

1. N.W.A. - Efil4zaggin
2. Comptons Most Wanted - Straight Checkn 'Em
3. Poor Righteous Teachers - Pure Poverty
4. Ice Cube - Death Certificate
5. Ed O.G & Da Bulldogs - Life Of A Kid In The Ghetto
6. Main Source - Breaking Atoms
7. Nice & Smooth - Ain't A Damn Thing Changed
8. WC And The Maad Circle - Ain't A Damn Thang Changed

And I don't even dig early 90's that much, lol

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Almost forgot about this '91 classic. Far superior to any album posted in the thread, and any album released in 1991 for that matter.
:larry:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Make it a poll

Joneski

Post by Joneski »

Jayou Ayen wrote: Efil4zaggin is fucking garbage.
Really? In what way, my man? Please elaborate.

Joneski

Post by Joneski »

Some of these are no-brainers (Tribe, De La, Main Source, Ice Cube)

My personal favorite is 'A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing' - I have the most memories attached to that one, and Black Sheep never did anything close to that level of genius ever again.

Good call on 'Future Without A Past' as well - that one among others ('Low End Theory', 'Cypress Hill', and especially 'Step In The Arena') on here could definitely use a nice remastering job - boost the levels and give it some more dynamics so it jumps out the speakers a little more. Digital technology has come a looong way in 20 years!

another fav of mine nobody's brought up:
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name

also
it's not one of my favs but I think '2pacalypse Now' at least deserves a mention.

What a year, indeed!

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

CRASH DDZ wrote:

:larry:
No sense of humor, huh Crash?

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Organized Konfusion - OK of course

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Versive wrote:Make it a poll
Agreed.

Never really realized how great of a year 1991 was for actual rap full-length albums. Here's two more I really like that I haven't seen mentioned:

Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Thun wrote:But I'm the bad guy for pointing out there's a seriously annoying borked out new jack random rap contingent in full effect around these parts.
Thun, I usually side-swipe these caustic comments, but this time im gonna speak on them as they are myopic in the scheme of things

Just what is 'seriously annoying' about one persons opinions, are his choices wrong or right, or simply a little left for a forum that usually deals with other styles and sounds. I think Jankz is a generous and prolific fella within Hip-Hop blogging and your comment was confrontational, detrimental and excessive

I enjoy being reminded of releases that may have passed me by, gettin hold of them again and maybe reinstating an old forgotten alblum into the back cat. Think bigger...

As a 42 Year old grown man, there is no way I will listen to Redhead Kingpin, but I really dont feel comfortable when bullish incendiary behaviour begins to seep into this environment. Im sure Jankz can speak for himself, but I dont like feel its productive

IMO, Breaking Atoms is my personal favourite from 91

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Yes, but the point was to list best albums from '91, not to list any album that had been released in 91.
I mean why would you place Michie Mee and LA Luv, Redhead Kingpin on this list when you know they are country mile away from Breaking Atoms, Death Certificate, ATCQ..
Im just sayin, no hate.

Thun

Post by Thun »

IRISH_CRAIG wrote:
Thun wrote:But I'm the bad guy for pointing out there's a seriously annoying borked out new jack random rap contingent in full effect around these parts.
Thun, I usually side-swipe these caustic comments, but this time im gonna speak on them as they are myopic in the scheme of things

Just what is 'seriously annoying' about one persons opinions, are his choices wrong or right, or simply a little left for a forum that usually deals with other styles and sounds. I think Jankz is a generous and prolific fella within Hip-Hop blogging and your comment was confrontational, detrimental and excessive

I enjoy being reminded of releases that may have passed me by, gettin hold of them again and maybe reinstating an old forgotten alblum into the back cat. Think bigger...

As a 42 Year old grown man, there is no way I will listen to Redhead Kingpin, but I really dont feel comfortable when bullish incendiary behaviour begins to seep into this environment. Im sure Jankz can speak for himself, but I dont like feel its productive

What's seriously annoying is the lack of critical thinking that goes into random rap fanaticism, and the lack of discernment that leads to those opinions. I've already made this pretty clear.

But it's all good because you've inspired me to start a new regular feature for the T.R.O.Y. Blog. Thanks.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Thun wrote:
IRISH_CRAIG wrote:

What's seriously annoying is the lack of critical thinking that goes into random rap fanaticism, and the lack of discernment that leads to those opinions. I've already made this pretty clear.

But it's all good because you've inspired me to start a new regular feature for the T.R.O.Y. Blog. Thanks.
Thun - Ah, so you can be constructive when you want to.

For me, its how you express your opinions as a moderator that leaves a sour taste. Leaving snidey remarks is engaging but far from endearing. The kiddies might be happy, but then again, the kiddies were happy with Hammer

I clocked another one of your wee digs earlier too, a very frank and brutal 'Dilla died 4 years ago' in some Dilla thread. Wow, not big mate, and not clever. You seem rather adolescent, can I ask how old you are sir? Maybe its just a sense of humour issue that hasnt travelled well. I really enjoy engaging with most people of PF. Its productive and motivational, its called being Hip-Hop, not just listening to it

Maybe because Ive been embedded in Hip-Hop since 1981 im too old to communicate, share and assist others in passing the good word on. Alienating posters will drive them away, and when so many have so much to offer, its a fruitless outlook

I agree with you too Mark, the thread is a best of [Fear not, Im above hating fella, all jones, trust me, too much love in my life], but surely this is a forum, somewhere to converse, share views and expand on the subject header designations, no? Jankz has a loose command of English too, hence the pics, even though they are the size of a house [gentle hint]

Verge

Post by Verge »

Too many to even list, really. I'd probably go with Tribe, Organized, Gangstarr, Main Source, and KMD as my top 5.

Nothing wrong with mentioning albums you like that aren't talked about much. I mean, c'mon, I think some of us have been done with talking about the same 5 albums mad years ago. Shit's redundant, yo. Finding good shit from back then that you either forgot about or never knew about is the bee's knees to me.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Alot of people have a completist mentality when learning about music, so to expand said knowledge into lesser-known offerings seems logical.

I agree with Verge, I've read so much conjecture regarding Low End Theory and Breaking Atoms it is sickening.