Stretch and Bob Reunion show 2/10/11

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

House of Games

Stretch and Bob Reunion show 2/10/11

Post by House of Games »

anyone know anything about this?

http://lepoissonrouge.com/events/artist/2828

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

My boy sent me a link the other day. I'm in there for sure. Already took off for that Friday.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Fatboybrandon posted a flyer for this in another thread but i can't seem to find it right now. Depending on my cashflow and time, I may show up there, too.

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

I just heard about this on DJ Eclipse's HALF TIME radio show... Good shit! Wish I was gonna be in NYC, oh well. I will be in Hawaii 2/16 and for about 5-6 days though. :gyeah: :lol: :gyeah:
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

contemplating whether to see Anthony Bourdain give a talk around my way that night or going to this. For some reason I can see myself being disappointed by the latter.

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

House of Games wrote:contemplating whether to see Anthony Bourdain give a talk around my way that night or going to this. For some reason I can see myself being disappointed by the latter.
What the fuck?!! You'd rather go see Anthony Bourdain give a TALK??? Don't get me wrong, his show "No Reservations" is doap and all, but come on, this is Stretch & Bobbito! I'm sure the vibe inside that place will be nice...
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

Thun

Post by Thun »

Another Stretch and Bobbito event/thread?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

This seriously sounds like the dumbest shit ever.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Echo Leader wrote:This seriously sounds like the dumbest shit ever.
exactly. like i can't even understand what its gonna be really.

Verge

Post by Verge »

House of Games wrote:
Well, i mean, i guess it's a real niche type of thing. Sounds like a good fun night to me. At the least, there'll be mad comedy and a crowd of older like minded individuals reminiscing about the past and building on tradng tapes and shit. Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. I could see how people would think it's stupid if they weren't part of that scene back then, though, thats understandable. They should also probably hire a bunch of strippers or something though cause there will be a minimal amount of females there.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Verge wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Well, i mean, i guess it's a real niche type of thing. Sounds like a good fun night to me. At the least, there'll be mad comedy and a crowd of older like minded individuals reminiscing about the past and building on tradng tapes and shit. Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. I could see how people would think it's stupid if they weren't part of that scene back then, though, thats understandable. They should also probably hire a bunch of strippers or something though cause there will be a minimal amount of females there.
You know I'm from Cali and wasn't part of THAT scene, but I still connect with it just cuz of being part of a similar scene out here in the Bay Area with The King Tech Wake Up Show. Not to mention I knew about The Stretch Armstrong Show though... Bobbito had been a guest on the WUS a few times over the years and they would even play freestyles from the show that Bobbito would send them. Stretch Armstrong Show freestyles would also get played on 90.1 KZSU Stanford cuz of Kevvy Kev. But yeah man, I would love to be out there and be able to go to that event and chillout even if I knew no one. Folks are trippin. But you're right verge, there's not gonna be no ladies up in there which will end up sucking at some point when you get tired of talking. haha Good times.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Verge wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Nah I was speaking more on the fact that this is likely to turn out attracting a lot of hipsters in skinny jeans looking something to do that will help them level up in cool points and thus fit into skinnier jeans.

I think it's the crowd that will be unbearable.

bomba

Post by bomba »

Definitely going! Bought tix the minute I heard. I can't believe ya'll aren't going! The amount of time we all spend on this, we should definitely enjoy the evening - if for nothing else to pay homage.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Echo Leader wrote:
Verge wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Nah I was speaking more on the fact that this is likely to turn out attracting a lot of hipsters in skinny jeans looking something to do that will help them level up in cool points and thus fit into skinnier jeans.

I think it's the crowd that will be unbearable.
Do hipsters really give a shit about this? That seems odd to me.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

It should be 30 and over at the door. lol

I agree about the hipster bullshit. There will be many many kids at this party who MAYBE heard the CM Fam show and many who never actually listened in the prime of the Stretch Armstrong show. Walking around with their Ugg or Polo duck boots and skinny jeans with Moncler bubbles.

I realize that makes me sound like an old bitter fuck. I'm not really, but I just hate the fact that it's most likely going to be packed with internet kids who don't really know what the show or vibe of that time was about. I saw it on FB and on the net with the reunion show they did on KCR in October.

I guess people should be allowed to enjoy it no matter what their age. As long as it doesn't result in me not enjoying myself.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I'm just cynical, I guess..

aleph

Post by aleph »

Echo Leader wrote:I think it's the crowd that will be unbearable
I don't read this as cynicism. I fear this, too. But then, I'm as old as fuck (and maybe cynical; cantankerous definitely).

step one

Post by step one »

aleph wrote:http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-02-02/ ... n-the-air/

Preaching to the choir...
At LPR, Stretch and Bobג€”and Lord Sear, now a linchpin of Eminem's Sirius XM channel, Shade 45ג€”plan to replicate the format The Source called the best hip-hop show of all time in 1998, in a room with space for 800 people instead of eight. "People will get on the mic and rhyme, but no one is performing. . . . Everything will be in the flow of the party," Bobbito says. A significant number of staple guests from the WKCR days are expected, but, purposely, none have been announced. "You never knew who was going to be on, on Thursday night. You just tuned in."
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Damn, I hope they film this.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Just returned from the place. Wanted to see the turnout. Got there @ 11, doors opened @ 10 but the stand-by line was still waiting. Temperature around 20 degrees. Said to myself, I'm outta here.

Nobs and bomba, details please.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

aleph wrote:Just returned from the place. Wanted to see the turnout. Got there @ 11, doors opened @ 10 but the stand-by line was still waiting. Temperature around 20 degrees. Said to myself, I'm outta here.

Damn. And it's only 20 degrees? Wow! haha Today here in the Bay Area it was like 70 degrees and it's supposed to be fuckin Winter! haha Crazy.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

pradadon wrote:Great night!

http://www.7thboro.com/?p=4083
hawt link, already posted it on FB for my friends to check out. Thanks for sharing.

nobs

Post by nobs »

aleph wrote:Just returned from the place. Wanted to see the turnout. Got there @ 11, doors opened @ 10 but the stand-by line was still waiting. Temperature around 20 degrees. Said to myself, I'm outta here.

<object width="224" height="400" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150408067700331" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150408067700331" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="224" height="400"></embed></object>

<object width="224" height="400" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150407883310331" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150407883310331" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="224" height="400"></embed></object>

bomba

Post by bomba »

Nice video at the site pradadon - thanks for posting. Did you get video of Natural Elements? I had to leave around 3.30am to catch at least a couple hours sleep before work and was mad to hear NE came on after that... would have really like to see them, as a listener they were among my favorite guests on the radio show.

Wish I had some of you on bbm or something, my friend who was supposed to come in from NJ bailed and I had a ticket that went to waste.

Got my shirt though:
http://img96.imageshack.us/i/img00207201102110321.jpg/

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

That's not my blog, just saw the link.

I left right b4 NE, which sucks, but heard they were ill

stroydnaire

Natural Elements

Post by stroydnaire »

I left at 3:30 ish also because of work. I didn't get to record the NE performance. Thanks for checking out the site though. Peace.

Wicked

Re: Natural Elements

Post by Wicked »

stroydnaire wrote:I left at 3:30 ish also because of work. I didn't get to record the NE performance. Thanks for checking out the site though. Peace.
Thanks for them vids... It was nice to be able to see all that. Hiphop was mos definitely in the building.