Best Mobb Deep album...

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

So what's the 3rd best Mobb Deep album?

Juvenile Hell
13%
Murda Muzik
81%
Infamy
3%
Amerika'z Nightmare
3%
Blood Money
1%

Total votes: 78

Echo Leader

Best Mobb Deep album...

Post by Echo Leader »

...that's NOT "The Infamous" or "Hell On Earth."

It's pretty much universally agreed that those two records are the M.O.B.B.'s best and are, at least in my opinion, pretty interchangeable at the number one spot. "Hell On Earth" was a logical extension of "The Infamous" and the two records are so similar (and so damn good) that there's really no contest. Their third best album might pose a little tougher of a question.

For me, it's gotta be Murda Muzik. Really the last album that tried to hold on to that old Mobb sound; after that point it was all downhill.

What do you think?
Last edited by Echo Leader on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I think Hell On Earth is quite different to The Infamous, a much darker soundscape and on The Infamous P had moments where he warned youngsters off the crime shit but H.O.E had him in full blown murder mode.

Still Shinin' and Apostle's Warning are probably his most focused performances delivery wise in my opinion.

I completely agree about Murda Muzik being the third best, though.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

shadowmaster wrote:I think Hell On Earth is quite different to The Infamous.
Echo Leader wrote:a logical extension of The Infamous
Also, who voted for Juvenile Hell? Can you explain please?

shadowmaster

Re: Best Mobb Deep album...

Post by shadowmaster »

Echo Leader wrote:...that's NOT "The Infamous" or "Hell On Earth."

two records are so similar

What do you think?
That's all I was responding to, not trying to argue man.

Also, looking back I find it a bit weird that they went so dark after such success with The Infamous. I think they may have addressed that in an interview but I'm tired and can't remember.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Juvenile Hell easily. decent for 93, funky beats, oldskool feel. yeah

for the record Hell On Earth is one of the most boring albums I've heard. it would be amazing were it not for the useless droning quasi-classical music/gangsta flick filmscore samples on every track. the drums and lyrics are on a par with Infamous, just the music bugs me and I can't listen to it. Once a year I usually get it out for another spin and I always think the same thing. I like funk/soul breaks, I don't like whatever that shit is. And it's on every single track, not just one or two

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

shadowmaster wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:...that's NOT "The Infamous" or "Hell On Earth."

two records are so similar

What do you think?
That's all I was responding to, not trying to argue man.

Also, looking back I find it a bit weird that they went so dark after such success with The Infamous. I think they may have addressed that in an interview but I'm tired and can't remember.
OK, fair enough. I don't necessarily think that Hell On Earth is that much darker-sounding than The Infamous; richer, maybe and a more polished-but-still-gritty sound.

Agree to disagree. :cheers:

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

The infamous all around, and you know we get down
So everybody hit the ground, before you hear the loud sound
Thug muzik, thug muzik

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Murda Muzik and it's not even close.

It's a bit polished, but it's Mobb at their most versatile. Not to say it's better than The Infamous or HOE because it's not at all, but it is a great album in it's own right. Some really high moments on MM.

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

if i recall there are 2 different versions of Murda Muzik

what was changed on the retail version
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Murda muzik

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Mike-I can't remember what was changed, I'm sure they went back and recorded more/added more tracks after the leak because it leaked so early.

I don't have the bootleg, but if I remember right it labelled 'What's Your Poison' as 'Deer Park' etc etc

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

pradadon wrote:Murda Muzik and it's not even close.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Murda Muzik

The rest of them are a fucking embarassment to their catalog

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

Juvenile Hell - although not by much. Beat/Style/Rhyme Wise, they weren't the mobb deep that we have come to love.

I did not enjoy murda muzik as much as i thought i would have. With the exception of maybe three or four tracks - I couldn't handle the beats. I feel their production has devolved with each passing album starting from the infamous. I believe this was mobb deep's first attempt to enter pop rap status - and there's nothing wrong with that. I tend to think that if you are in your early 20s now - or younger, you enjoyed albums like this and nas - i am, and wu-tang-iron flag more so that people that are a little older.

but either way you look at it, i'm not really going to be listening to either of these albums that much in comparison to the infamous or hell on earth.

as far as their other albums go, not even really worth mentioning. full fledged devolution. wouldn't even be in the discussion if you didn't know they weren't mobb deep.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

atlantiswasreal wrote:Juvenile Hell - although not by much. Beat/Style/Rhyme Wise, they weren't the mobb deep that we have come to love.

I did not enjoy murda muzik as much as i thought i would have. With the exception of maybe three or four tracks - I couldn't handle the beats. I feel their production has devolved with each passing album starting from the infamous. I believe this was mobb deep's first attempt to enter pop rap status - and there's nothing wrong with that. I tend to think that if you are in your early 20s now - or younger, you enjoyed albums like this and nas - i am, and wu-tang-iron flag more so that people that are a little older.

but either way you look at it, i'm not really going to be listening to either of these albums that much in comparison to the infamous or hell on earth.

as far as their other albums go, not even really worth mentioning. full fledged devolution. wouldn't even be in the discussion if you didn't know they weren't mobb deep.
To me, Murda Muzik was so dope because at the time, there was a lot of flashy shit going on, followed by that Swizz Beats RR type production. Mobb came back with that Mobb sound, just a bit more polished than before. It's still raw and still sticks to their core beliefs. I don't consider it a sell out move at all in that respect. Also, the boards and overall production equipment advanced greatly once digital software and hardware came into play, therefore shit just did not sound as gutter as it once did. Don't get me wrong, PR made SOul Survivor on the SP around that time and it still came out raw sounding, but even that was not what MATSB or TMI sounded like, even though the SP was used then as well.

I'm 32 going on 33, but I know what you are saying about younger dudes. These are the same dudes who thin Jay Vol 2 Hard Knock Life is the GOAT album. I don't hate on them though, we all love what we came up on.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

pradadon wrote: Also, the boards and overall production equipment advanced greatly once digital software and hardware came into play, therefore shit just did not sound as gutter as it once did. Don't get me wrong, PR made SOul Survivor on the SP around that time and it still came out raw sounding, but even that was not what MATSB or TMI sounded like, even though the SP was used then as well.
I think there is a definite correlation between advancement of technology and increasing wackness of beats , leaving what we have today i.e. a sterile atmosphere of compressed non-beats dominating pretty much all areas of commercial and underground hip hop. Murda Musik is a clear early example of this, the beats are lumpen and have no groove to them and have that 'techno' influence for want of a better word creeping in. I think the album is boring because of this. It's not as bad as what followed though - compared to Infamy, Murda Muzik sounds like the Infamous
pradadon wrote: I'm 32 going on 33, but I know what you are saying about younger dudes. These are the same dudes who thin Jay Vol 2 Hard Knock Life is the GOAT album. I don't hate on them though, we all love what we came up on.
don't really agree with this theory - it suggests that there is no such thing as intrinsically good music,and that musical taste is purely based on circumstantial factors. Anyone who judges their music collection from best to worst according to what they heard first is a dick and their opinion on music is not valid. In fact does anyone really do this?

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I think he was making the point that an album you connected with growing up retains a certain timeless quality for whatever reason, and you will always hold that album high in your opinion beause it hit you at a certain time in your life.

It's why Cuban Linx will forever be my favourite lp as far as hiphop goes.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

vaporized2 wrote: don't really agree with this theory - it suggests that there is no such thing as intrinsically good music,and that musical taste is purely based on circumstantial factors. Anyone who judges their music collection from best to worst according to what they heard first is a dick and their opinion on music is not valid. In fact does anyone really do this?

No, I merely meant that people's favorite albums usually come from the time period in which they were coming into their own. That's not to say that people don't like music or think that music from other time periods in their life isn't as good or even better than that of their formative years, but I would think most people's favorite music comes from that time in their lives.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

"Murda Muzik" just because it has more than three songs that are good. I still never really liked it much, though. Their other albums are garbage for the most part. "Juvenile Hell" is passable but very generic early-90's shit.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Echo Leader wrote:it's gotta be Murda Muzik. Really the last album that tried to hold on to that old Mobb sound; after that point it was all downhill.

What do you think?
Yeah, it sounds like they were most focused and comfortable on Murda Musik. The other albums seemed like they were caught up in the times by experimenting with their sound to stay relevant or in the case of Juvenile Hell they hadn't found their identity yet, same kinda thing many recording artists have struggled with over their careers.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Murda Muzik

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

pradadon wrote:
vaporized2 wrote: don't really agree with this theory - it suggests that there is no such thing as intrinsically good music,and that musical taste is purely based on circumstantial factors. Anyone who judges their music collection from best to worst according to what they heard first is a dick and their opinion on music is not valid. In fact does anyone really do this?

No, I merely meant that people's favorite albums usually come from the time period in which they were coming into their own. That's not to say that people don't like music or think that music from other time periods in their life isn't as good or even better than that of their formative years, but I would think most people's favorite music comes from that time in their lives.
fair enough I get you...the hard knock life vol2 bit threw me off a bit

I'm taking this too seriously :lol:

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

easily "Murda Muzik" for me, that and "HNIC" were the last two albums where Prodigy had all that energy and proved to be one of the best emcees of all time. tracks like "You Can Never Feel My Pain" and "Genesis" were so much better lyrically than the shit he spat on "Infamy".

but for "Murda Muzik", it was the Mobb's best selling album and it still featured dark Havoc production and great rhymes. it also had one of my favorite P lines "It's heavy metal for the black people, but it's hip-hop tho/ My drug music's therepautic to the user; you slam dance to it". the way he delives that over that beat is too nasty, P's flow and delivery on that album was amongst the illest ever.

the only thing about "Murda Muzik" was that it got a little fucked up by early bootlegging making them delete some incredible joints in favor of half-assed songs such as "Can't Fuck With". it didn't hurt the album like for example "I Am..." but still. i got pretty obsessed with the advance copy of the album that was sent out and received 4.5/5 mics in The Source so I searched every song out and compiled it. some songs are not as good as others but it's an enjoyable listen. personally i replace the OG "Quiet Storm" with the retail version when i listen to this, same with "Streets Raised Me". check it out below:

http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... vance.html

^ again this is not a rip of the advance but it features all the songs from the advance (that got 4.5 mics) so the sound quality may very a bit but nothing too horrible. i advice you to rip from your retail copy and use that vesion of "Quiet Storm", "Streets Raised Me", etc. suprisingly "It's Mine" was one of the last minute additions as it does not appear on the advance or promo but i really like that one so i often add it as the last track after "USA" (this version features NaS).
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

I had the same fascination over the original Murda Muzik too lol. I had like 1 bootleg tracklist, the tracklist that was sent to the source and the retail version.If you combine the best material from the three, plus a few miscellaneous songs from that era, you get the fill potential the whole project had. That trivia (if we could call it that way) alone makes it their 3rd best album for me.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

yeah definite co-sign on that one Paul!
it was a shame about Napster in a way, i remember when it first came out in '99 and it revolutionized the entire music industry and alot of albums leaked early. back then the artist felt they had to remake alot of their albums in order to be able to sell them, "I Am..." was hurt the most, goddamn that would've been a classic (also check out my take on "I Am... The Autobiography" single CD on my blog, just search - i played the shit out of that one).
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

For the Mobb Deep heads, I am doing a 2 hour stream of all Mobb tonight at 9PM EST

I had been having some arguments with people on FB and in person where people were telling me the Mobb was overrated, P overrated etc; Like people forgot what happened from 94-99. Gonna play album cuts, remixes, unreleased, demo's etc;

If you are a Mobb fan it will be a nice two hours..

Here is the show page link, show starts 9pm.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-politic-sessions

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

pradadon wrote:For the Mobb Deep heads, I am doing a 2 hour stream of all Mobb tonight at 9PM EST

I had been having some arguments with people on FB and in person where people were telling me the Mobb was overrated, P overrated etc; Like people forgot what happened from 94-99. Gonna play album cuts, remixes, unreleased, demo's etc;

dope

do you have this joint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJHGtY0XYU
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

DJMIKENICE wrote:
pradadon wrote:For the Mobb Deep heads, I am doing a 2 hour stream of all Mobb tonight at 9PM EST

dope

do you have this joint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJHGtY0XYU
link not working on that youtube Mike

It's a miracle I was able to pull it off with one needle. Very difficult lol- a huge pain in the ass. Some serious trainwreck mixes went down but at least the music was good lol.

basically on internal on the left table. Oh well rule number one have back up needles

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I missed the show, sorry, time zones make it hard to figure out.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

shadowmaster wrote:I missed the show, sorry, time zones make it hard to figure out.
It's archived if you want to listen to it. It was a minor miracle in that I pulled it off with one needle after the 4th track. When I used the left turntable, I had to basically throw the track on the record and then go internal on Serato immediately or else it would have sounded really fucked up. Trying to mix with one actual Serato vinyl on the turntable and the other internal - using their pitch control was such a pain in the ass.

I honestly would have just deaded the stream and did it tonight after buying a new needle but my boy was in a cat accident and was laid up last night and he is a big Mobb fan so I wanted to cheer him up.

Mixing is good in parts and terrible in others but if some good Mobb music was played if you're interested click the show link and click the one with yesterday's date.