Best De La Soul album?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Best De La album?

3 Feet High & Rising
19%
De La Soul Is Dead
16%
Buhloone Mindstate
40%
Stakes Is High
21%
AOI: Mosaic Thump
No votes
AOI: Bionix
3%
Grind Date
No votes

Total votes: 62

claaa7

Best De La Soul album?

Post by claaa7 »

Been listening alot to De La Soul the last few months (on and off), right now i'm listening to "De La Soul is Dead" even. in my opinion they are one of the rare crews that never dropped a weak album. of course they are not equally good but they are all enjoyable to me, even "AOI: Bionix" which seems to get quite shitted on by "true school" fans is a nice album go me and even their mixtape "Impossible Mission" was neat as hell. the only thing i haven't heard is that mixtape they did last year i think in association with Nike's running shoes, "Are You In?" but i wouldn't count that among their albums anyway.

their days with Prince Paul was of course nothing short of extraordinary and produced what wsa to be viewed as strictly masterpieces, and rightfully so. From "Three Feet" to "..."Is Dead" to "Buhloone" they constantly changed their style slightly and became better MCs while still keeping it 100% De La. my personal favorite for a long time was always "Buhloone Mind State", maybe since i first fell in love with the hip-hop sound of 1993-1995 the production spoke mostly to me and also both Pos and Dave was now even better MCs if you ask me. loads of quotables on this... but there's also much of a jazz element in this album, with live instrumentation and loads of horns and features from Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis and since i'm big on that type of music that is another reason.

but lately i've listen the most to "...Is Dead", its just so different from anything else and much more agressive than what we heard on "3 Feet..." plus it had stories like "Millie" (incredible record) and Paul's drums on this was just fucking brutal. but then again his production work on the debut was out of this world too and although it was a little corny but still loads of fun lyrically and musically.

i'm not gonna go on and on in this thread, which i could, bc the younger generation would probably say "The Grind Date" is their best album and i've heard alot of peeps say "Stakes is High" is the illest album they ever did. this should be interesting, don't just say what your favorite is - give us a little motivation. mine is "Buhloone Mind State" after all, for the reasons stated above (plus it was tighter, De La had some hilarious skits but it was cool to hear them with just musical track after track).
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

damn how does you add a poll here, i've seen others do it but i didn't find an option? let me know and i'll fix it.

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

claaa7 wrote:damn how does you add a poll here, i've seen others do it but i didn't find an option? let me know and i'll fix it.
Only mods can make polls, afaik.

Buhloone Mind State is the only answer.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

thanks for adding the poll Echo Leader! yeah "Buhloone Mind State" is one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time but at the same time, "Three Feet High & Rising" is easily one of the most ground breaking rap albums ever, etc.

step one

Post by step one »

I like all their stuff and saw them live for the first time this week, however I dont find myself playing Stakes Is High or Buhloone that often. I like certain tracks on them but I dont find them as entertaining as 3 Feet or Is Dead.
I only got Grind Date recently and really enjoy that aswell.

Overall I'd say 3 Feet High as it was one of the first albums I bought and definitely a major factor in getting me into the rapp moozic
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

step one wrote:I like all their stuff and saw them live for the first time this week, however I dont find myself playing Stakes Is High or Buhloone that often. I like certain tracks on them but I dont find them as entertaining as 3 Feet or Is Dead.
I only got Grind Date recently and really enjoy that aswell.

Overall I'd say 3 Feet High as it was one of the first albums I bought and definitely a major factor in getting me into the rapp moozic
I'm surprised you've only just seen them live recently - they tour the UK almost yearly. Great live.

I struggle to listen to 'Stakes Is High' anymore, and the 2 albums that followed, but I also quite liked 'Grind Date'.

My favourite is '3 Feet High', but 'Is Dead' and 'Buhloone' both are incredible.

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

i love album number one.
Buhloone minstate is great but i prefer 3 feet high n risin

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

BMS

step one

Post by step one »

Mark 563 wrote: I'm surprised you've only just seen them live recently - they tour the UK almost yearly. Great live.
yeah, I think the fact the're over here every 6 months always made me think that I'd see them next time, whereas other artists (KRS for example) might only come once every few years.

Great show though, they were on after Rakim and before Mos & Talib but were easily the best on the line-up. Good mix of new and old songs, good interaction with the crowd, cracking jokes etc - would definitely like to see them again when they arent the support act and have mroe than 40 minutes on stage.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

step one wrote:
Mark 563 wrote: I'm surprised you've only just seen them live recently - they tour the UK almost yearly. Great live.
yeah, I think the fact the're over here every 6 months always made me think that I'd see them next time, whereas other artists (KRS for example) might only come once every few years.

Great show though, they were on after Rakim and before Mos & Talib but were easily the best on the line-up. Good mix of new and old songs, good interaction with the crowd, cracking jokes etc - would definitely like to see them again when they arent the support act and have mroe than 40 minutes on stage.
I saw De La for the first time at Rock The Bells 2008, and they were awesome live. I'd love to see them again.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Mark 563 wrote: I struggle to listen to 'Stakes Is High' anymore, and the 2 albums that followed..

My favourite is '3 Feet High', but 'Is Dead' and 'Buhloone' both are incredible.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Stakes Is High, and I'm out.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I've been saying "De La Soul Is Dead" for like 15 years, but as of late, I'm leaning towards "Three Feet High & Rising".

But this is how I'd rank the first four eras:

1) Buhloone Mindstate Era
Buhloone Mindstate LP
Breakadawn (De La Soul Remix)
Breakadawn (Foncett Power Radio Mix)
Breakadawn (London Remix)
Ego Trippinג€™ (Egoristic Mix)
Ego Trippinג€™ (LA Jay Mix)
Ego Trippinג€™ (Gumbo Funk Remix)
Stickabush
Hsubakcits
She Fe MCs w/ ATCQ
Stix & Stonz w/ Grandmaster Caz & Prince Whipper Whip
Lovely How I Let My Mind Float w/ Biz Markie
Lovely How I Let My Mind Float w/ Biz Markie (Slight Remix)
Fallinג€™
Fallinג€™ (Remix)
My Mindstate

2) 3 Feet High & Rising Era
3 Feet High & Rising LP
Ainג€™t Hip To Be Labeled A Hippie
The Magic Number (Too Mad Mix)
Freedom Of Speak
Strictly Dan Stuckie
Jenifa (12" Version)
Ghetto Thing (Ghetto Ximer)
Eye Know (The Know It All Mix)
Skip 2 My Loop
Tread Water (Stonebridgeג€™s Pumpinג€™ Mix)
Potholes In My Lawn (12" Version)
Say No Go (Say No Dope Mix)
Brain Washed Follower
Plug Tuninג€™ (Somethingג€™s Wrong Here)
Buddy (Native Tongue Decision)
The Mack Daddy On The Left
Me Myself And I (Oblapos Mode)
Double Huey Skit
D.A.I.S.Y. Age (Edit Mix)
Whatג€™s More
Me Myself And I & Say No Go (Unity Mix)
The Magic Number (1-2-3 Mix)
Freedom Of Speak (We Got More Than Three)
Jenifa (Alternate Mix)
Eye Know (The Kiss Mix)
Tread Water (Stonebridgeג€™s Local Mix)
Say No Go (New Keys Mix)
Me Myself And I (Remix)
Eye Know (Daisy Bass Mix)
Say No Go (House Of Love Mix)
Mama Gave Birth To The Soul Children w/ Queen Latifah
Doinג€™ Our Own Dang w/ JBs & ATCQ
Doinג€™ Our Own Dang w/ JBs & ATCQ (Fermie Remix)
Doinג€™ Our Own Dang w/ JBs & ATCQ (JBs Remix)
Mama Gave Birth To The Soul Children w/ Queen Latifah

3) Stakes Is High Era
Stakes Is High LP
Stakes Is High (Jay Dee Remix)
Stakes Is High (UK Remix)
Stakes Is High (Spinna Remix)
Stakes Is High (MF Doom Blend)
Stakes Is High (Soulman Remix)
Stakes Is High (Alternate Jay Dee Remix)
Stakes Is High (9th Wonder Remix)
Itzsoweezee (Remix)
Itzsoweezee (Spinbad Blend)
The Bizness w/ Common Sense (Remix)
The Love Song w/ The Bush Babees (Remix)
How Ya Want It We Got It w/ JBs & ATCQ (Remix)
I Canג€™t Call It
Tim Westwood Freestyle w/ Nas (1996)
Lyricist Lounge Intro
Trouble In The Water
Stay Away w/ Rob-O
The Hustle
Gettinג€™ Down At The Amphitheater w/ Common Sense
More Than You Know w/ Prince Paul & Juggaknots
The Projects w/ Del
Chanel No. Fever
B-Side To Hollywood w/ Camp Lo
Hey DJ w/ Malcolm McLaren
4 More (Juno Clean Remix)
Do Fries Go With That Shake
Sweet Dreams
360 Degrees w/ Propellerheads
Pass It On w/ 3 Steps From Nowhere (Remix)

4) De La Soul Is Dead Era
De La Soul Is Dead LP
Saturdays (Disco Fever Mix)
Saturdays (Radio Home Mix)
Saturdays (Ladies Nite Decision)
Saturdays (6 AM Mix)
Saturdays (Whoג€™s Skatinג€™ Promo)
Saturdays (Daveג€™s Home Mix)
Saturdays (What Yo Life Can Truly Be)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (Just A Touch Mix)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (Fly And Funky Mix)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (12" UK Mix)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (7" UK Mix)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (No Bass Mix)
Keepinג€™ The Faith (Straight Pass)
Piles And Piles Of Demo Tapes Bi-Da Miles (Conleyג€™s Decision)
Ring Ring Ring (Party Line Mix)
Ring Ring Ring (Executive U.S. Decision Mix)
Ring Ring Ring (7" UK Mix)
Ring Ring Ring (CJג€™s Alternative Mix)
Millie Pulled A Pistol On Santa (Remix)
De La Slow (Demo)
De Laג€™s Poster (Demo)
Let The Horns Blow w/ Chi Ali, Dres, Phife & Fashion
Roadrunner (Demo)
Scenario w/ ATCQ, LONS & Black Sheep (Demo #1)

But I suspect that they have a lot of De La Soul Is Dead outtakes in the vaults. I have no use for all of the various "Saturdays" and "Keepin' The Faith" mixes.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

Buhloonz.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Stakes Is High is my favorite (and my favorite album of all time as of right now). De La Is Dead is probably what I would consider their "best album" if I was forced to analyze it like that. Voted Stakes...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Kind of weird how the three main singles from De La Soul is Dead are really, really pop-sounding, relative to the rest of their output and especially for the era.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Roy Johnson wrote: 4) De La Soul Is Dead Era

But I suspect that they have a lot of De La Soul Is Dead outtakes in the vaults. I have no use for all of the various "Saturdays" and "Keepin' The Faith" mixes.
there were an insane amount of remixes for the "De La Soul Is Dead" album for some reason, and especially 'Keepin The Faith' as you say. i have two outtakes from "...Is Dead" that appeared on the mixtape they dropped called "Impossible Mission". i know one of them is called "De La Poster" and is pretty neat... i can upload them if you want but i'll wait for an answer since my connection is still incredibly weak right now.

i haven't got the chance to see De La live yet but judging from the comments in here that's definitely something I want to experience. speaking on De La live, how is that live album they dropped some time ago. i can't recall the title but it's a live concert at Tramps from '96 or '97... i'm curious to know how the sound quality and everything is, plus of course the music. in other words is it worth getting?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

claaa7 wrote:there were an insane amount of remixes for the "De La Soul Is Dead" album for some reason, and especially 'Keepin The Faith' as you say. i have two outtakes from "...Is Dead" that appeared on the mixtape they dropped called "Impossible Mission". i know one of them is called "De La Poster" and is pretty neat... i can upload them if you want but i'll wait for an answer since my connection is still incredibly weak right now.
Both of the outtakes from the Impossible Mission mixtape are great. They're on the list that I posted, underneath all of the Keepin' The Faith, Saturdays, and Ring Ring Ring mixes.

I have like 4 or 5 De La concerts. The Tramps one isn't particularly special, but the Philadelphia 5/16/89 show is terrific. I'll upload it in the near future.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

De La related. Does anyone remember Butta Verses? He was signed to Maseo's label and appeared on a few of their albums, including Grind Date.

It's a shame because I always thought he was pretty talented, but he is now working at Wal-Mart. Saw him today when I was returning some batteries.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

ok didn't see that, but yeah i agree they are all cool outtakes. "My Mindstate" is pretty neat too but i'm glad it wasn't on the actual album after all.

yeah that would be nice! but how's the sound quality on Tramps since that was an official release? i've noticed that the majority of hip-hop acts and their producers can't record and release a proper live album if their life depended on it. The Roots "Come Alive" are the only exception i can think off actually, that sounds great - and that what a live album should sound like.

i mean i got Miles Davis live albums from the '60s and '70s that sound super nice and now it's 30 years later and hip-hop artists can't release decent sounding live material. what is that about? hip-hop show doesn't translate as well to record tho

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

claaa7 wrote:ok didn't see that, but yeah i agree they are all cool outtakes. "My Mindstate" is pretty neat too but i'm glad it wasn't on the actual album after all.

yeah that would be nice! but how's the sound quality on Tramps since that was an official release? i've noticed that the majority of hip-hop acts and their producers can't record and release a proper live album if their life depended on it. The Roots "Come Alive" are the only exception i can think off actually, that sounds great - and that what a live album should sound like.

i mean i got Miles Davis live albums from the '60s and '70s that sound super nice and now it's 30 years later and hip-hop artists can't release decent sounding live material. what is that about? hip-hop show doesn't translate as well to record tho
The fact that there are so few soundboards and good audience quality shows in circulation has always bothered me.

The Tramps show sounds good, but it's not from a soundboard source.

Ego Trippin' (Tramps)
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 831947-fe1" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 831947-fe1" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

The Philly '89 show is a clear soundboard.

Me, Myself & I (Philadelphia 5-16-89)
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 831912-927" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist? ... 831912-927" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

I'll upload it during the week.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:De La related. Does anyone remember Butta Verses? He was signed to Maseo's label and appeared on a few of their albums, including Grind Date.

It's a shame because I always thought he was pretty talented, but he is now working at Wal-Mart. Saw him today when I was returning some batteries.
Another Green Llama affiliate. See this thread: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125633

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

tough decision.IMO their first 4 albums are roughly equally as good as each other while all sounding significantly different. I'd probably choose Buhloone Mindstate. "I Am I Be" is like their 'TROY' moment (as in the track not this board), if that doesn't sound like too weird a comparison to make

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Versive wrote:
Philaflava wrote:De La related. Does anyone remember Butta Verses? He was signed to Maseo's label and appeared on a few of their albums, including Grind Date.

Another Green Llama affiliate. See this thread: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125633
Damn. I hope he continues to spit.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I rank them-

De La Soul Is Dead
3 Feet High And Rising
Stakes Is High
Buhloone Mindstate
The Grind Date

I've always been surprised by this board's devotion to Buhloone Mindstate, I love everything De La's ever done really, but among my friends and on all the boards I used to post at, the debate was always between the first 2 albums. Those albums are the peak of sampling production to me and are classic albums even outside of the genre. I've tried to listen to Buhloone a lot because of the love it gets here, but I just can't see it as their best album.

Versive

Post by Versive »

^my sentiments exactly but i'd rank AOI Bionix over Grind date. There are definitely some meh moments on there, but Held Down, Watch Out and Trying People >>> everything on Grind Date.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Versive wrote:^my sentiments exactly but i'd rank AOI Bionix over Grind date. There are definitely some meh moments on there, but Held Down, Watch Out and Trying People >>> everything on Grind Date.
I'll re-listen to Bionix, but I just love the songs with guests on Grind Date. Doom, Ghost, Common, and Butta Verses all kill it. Verbal Clap is a great song too.

Digs Darklighter

Post by Digs Darklighter »

i cant decide...i love them all...

it took me about 5 years of show stalking to get all three to sign this shirt...i would hold the shirt up in the crowd until they would notice it...they would stop the show and talk about that tour and how they were in high school etc...cool story, plug

does anyone else have the Frank 151 that is dedicated all to de la? its really dope.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I will never in my life understand the obsession with Stakes Is High. It's barely even music.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:I will never in my life understand the obsession with Stakes Is High. It's barely even music.
I'm not in the class that holds the album in high regard, though I think half of it is very good. Care to explain what you mean by "barely even music?"
2. "Supa Emcees" De La Soul 3:40
3. "The Bizness" (ft. Common) De La Soul 5:41
5. "Dinninit" Spearhead X 4:20
6. "Brakes" De La Soul 4:06
11. "Itzsoweezee (HOT)" De La Soul 4:55
13. "Big Brother Beat" (ft. Mos Def) Skeff Anselm 3:42
16. "Stakes Is High" Jay Dee, De La Soul* 5:30
17. "Sunshine"