LL/K-Def 10" finally coming (artwork / snippets incl.)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

LL/K-Def 10" finally coming (artwork / snippets incl.)

Post by claaa7 »

This banging collaboration by the two legends that are LL Cool J and K-Def was first recorded in the "14 Shots to the Dome" sessions in '93/94. Just "14 Shots..." is an LL album that I feel are very overlooked and hated on for all the wrong reasons; there's a few clunkers but the good or great numbers easily outweighs them. I can understand how peeps felt LL was trying to hard to get with the times and sounding like Treach but no matter how you twist and turn at it, his delivery on here is just about perfect and many of the productions are absolutely fantastic (K-Def has previously admitted that he was in fact the uncredited producer behind the classic "Funkadelic Relic"). I might devote an entire blog post to why I think the album has been so misunderstood but right now I just want to spread the word that the release of the almost myrhical, lost K-Def production "Year Of The Hip-Hop" is finally going down.

The song has been meant for release in various incarnations and on different labels for years, including DWG; once with an unreleased Real Live cut on the flip-side. This time it's most definitely final as Slice-Of-Spice will release the lost classic on a limited 10" pressing with an instrumental TV track on the flip. Complete with a fittingly dope sketch by Joe Buck for artwork, 'Def's use of the classic "UFO" break by ESG and LL's fierce delivery is finally getting the proper handling it deserves. A one minute high-quality snippet of this was included (as a hidden bonus) on our official K-Def compilation a few weeks back, but the label has offered up two-minutes CDQ samples of two minutes in length on their SoundCloud page for both versions. Check it out below and stay tuned for more info here @ The Lost Tapes; word is that it will be released in late September so hopefully it don't get pushed back once again again.
source:
http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/09/ll-c ... oming.html
(if you haven't heard them yet you can listen to the two minutes CDQ snippets of both the instrumental and vocal version of the song there through Slice-Of-Spice's SoundCloud page.

and if you want to hear the full 4 minute song though in a pretty weak sound quality (it's a mid-'90s radio rip) you can stream it here.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... 7"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... 2F20723327" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>

Snippet

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

This is dope as fuck
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

claa7, I haven't read the interview, but did he mention the unreleased Real Live material and whether it's coming out?
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

he don't mention it in the interview that accompanied our "Most Underrated" comp but he said on numerous occassions that they are working on new Real Live material for a new album. but he said that for years though hahah... i even have heard a R.L. song with K-Def and Larry-O from between 2002 and 2004 where he speaks on the destroying of the twin towers amongst other things. don't know if any older Real Live material will ever come out though, K-Def is all about the future now.

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

OMG

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

LL's 3rd verse on the song is incredible. But I've only heard it in bad quality.

illest

Post by illest »

raven holding her titties is better than this joint

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

claaa7 wrote:he don't mention it in the interview that accompanied our "Most Underrated" comp but he said on numerous occassions that they are working on new Real Live material for a new album. but he said that for years though hahah... i even have heard a R.L. song with K-Def and Larry-O from between 2002 and 2004 where he speaks on the destroying of the twin towers amongst other things. don't know if any older Real Live material will ever come out though, K-Def is all about the future now.

I thought he said in the past they had about an lp's worth of stuff recorded from the late 90s (possibly later), but he would never, ever work with Larry-O again?
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

illest wrote:raven holding her titties is better than this joint
this is dope and I can't wait for it.

foobar

Post by foobar »

I thought their Biz Markie release was dope but this is way cooler.
I will buy it.

Btw, they are also going to release something with B.I.G....Can't wait!

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

illest wrote:raven holding her titties is better than this joint
Raven holding her titties is better than everything on Earth.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

This is available for pre-order now: -

http://yearofthehiphop.bigcartel.com/

foobar

Post by foobar »

Done.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Great joint, crazy ridiculous price though, no way.
Last edited by Verge on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

It's always nice to be reminded how ill LL was.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

finally the full song is available for us to hear in good quality:

http://soundcloud.com/slice-of-spice/ss ... k-HUfN4nYk

this track is absolutely mind-blowing, i would love to get my hands on one of those records but i can't really afford one at the moment and it will most likely be out of print when i would get a chance.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

how can you DL it?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Verge wrote:Great joint, crazy ridiculous price though, no way.
It's also going on sale on regular black vinyl at certain record stores. Undergroundhiphop.com was selling it for $15 yesterday, but they've sold out now (and put the price up to $20, so they're probably getting more in). If you go to the DWG forum you can find out where it's available.

I copped one of those $100 signed test pressings.
Philaflava wrote:how can you DL it?

Code: Select all

http://mir.cr/UX2C5YJZ

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thanks man.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

FUCK THIS IS DOPE

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

thx g

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Magneto wrote:FUCK THIS IS DOPE
:cheers: what if Hitman Howie Tee produced it though? :P

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Why would something so dope and better than anything on 14 Shots To The Dome be unreleased?...did MM have something to do with it?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Sigma wrote:
Verge wrote:Great joint, crazy ridiculous price though, no way.
It's also going on sale on regular black vinyl at certain record stores. Undergroundhiphop.com was selling it for $15 yesterday, but they've sold out now (and put the price up to $20, so they're probably getting more in). If you go to the DWG forum you can find out where it's available.

I copped one of those $100 signed test pressings.
Nice. Thanks for the heads up on the more affordable copies, now I haven't been online in two days and hope to find one, hah.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The orange copies have been reduced to $25 now including shipping.

bistro

Post by bistro »

I think the $25 copies were black vinyl

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

bistro wrote:I think the $25 copies were black vinyl
Yep, I think you're right there man, and they've all sold out now too.

bistro

Post by bistro »

Hey if anyone is still looking they have some at ughh

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Jaz wrote:
Magneto wrote:FUCK THIS IS DOPE
:cheers: what if Hitman Howie Tee produced it though? :P
LOL well played.

Still confused how this is just now being released