T.R.O.Y. Challenge: Instrumentals Marathon

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Huldrich Bullsh!t

T.R.O.Y. Challenge: Instrumentals Marathon

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

this thread is basically a question for the mods:

its been a long time and these are usually great.

(verge) Editing the rules in here so nobody has to search through the thread for them:

Code: Select all

1. 15 tracks 

2. 1986 - 1998

3. At least 2 tracks from before 1990.

4. At least 2 tracks from independent labels.

5. At least 2 tracks from major labels.

*6. 1 track that was not originally rhymed on, ie interludes, bonus beats, instrumental EPs or LPs.

7. No more than 1 track from any single producer, artist or crew.

8. Tracks can not be less than 1:00 in duration.

9. AT LEAST: 
*1 from Canada (or any international beat) 
1 from West Coast
1 from the South
1 from the Midwest

10. Use your own judgement with [i]adlibs and hooks[/i]. We're just basicallynot trying to have a bunch of dubs here. If it works, it works.

BONUS STATUS:
1 track that has a sample from a Mizell Brothers produced track.

Verge

Post by Verge »

I was thinking of having an "instrumentals" one... If someone wants to help get some criteria together, this could be good. We gotta decide whether adlibs or hooks are okay on the instrumentals. Anyone with this or any other suggestions?

Huldrich Bullsh!t

cool ideea. other question should it be only ionstrumentals of tracks that have rap on or should there be intrumentalsd that were intended as insturmentals allowed aswell? timeframe. gloss usually makes 97 the cutoff date

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

whatever you guys wanna do is fine with me. it is long overdue.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

This ought to be fun.

How about limits on tracks from the same producer?
Remix instrumentals?
Years?
Usually there's a geo or specific label requirement.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

i'm new here ... so what's this?? people spitting on some old beats ? count me in.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huldrich Bullsh!t

nah its just compilations to a given theme

Verge

Post by Verge »

diggy64 wrote:This ought to be fun.

How about limits on tracks from the same producer?
Remix instrumentals?
Years?
Usually there's a geo or specific label requirement.
sounds good.
1 track per producer, no more
remix beats are fine
i'm liberal with years, if 86-98 is fine with others, fine by me
at least 1 track from a west coast group/artist

15 tracks
no hooks.. minimal adlibs, I'm talking one or two words here and there, something like this would be disqualified:
<object width="420" height="115"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYzCPemkl0o?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYzCPemkl0o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="115" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
makes me lol every time, but wouldn't work here.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

DITC adlibs >>>

Huldrich Bullsh!t

thats pretty strict
rules out a lot of stuff

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQ432WDfw_0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQ432WDfw_0?version=3&hl=de_DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

i mean this is an extreme example but there are so many instrumental versions that have the vocals from the chorus at least partially in

and is stuff allowed that was never intended as a rap track?

Verge

Post by Verge »

^Hmmmm... rules are subject to change still for now, please nobody submit any comps yet. Sometimes our restrictiveness helps the contest but i don't wanna make it too difficult and chase away contestants.

For now, we can add that sampled vocals are fine, sampled hooks, fine. We'll sort out the other mess. Maybe we can make it to where the listener can just decide while listening whether or not the adlibs bother them, whether it's too much or not can maybe be an influence in peoples' votes? Know what i mean?

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Verge wrote:^Hmmmm... rules are subject to change still for now, please nobody submit any comps yet. Sometimes our restrictiveness helps the contest but i don't wanna make it too difficult and chase away contestants.

For now, we can add that sampled vocals are fine, sampled hooks, fine. We'll sort out the other mess. Maybe we can make it to where the listener can just decide while listening whether or not the adlibs bother them, whether it's too much or not can maybe be an influence in peoples' votes? Know what i mean?
yeah got you.

and the thing about non-rap tracks?

imo it could be way more than 1 westcoast track and also some southern or whatever. i know this board is eastcoast biased (not nearly as bad as most boards of this kind where 10 years ago) but exactly thats why it would be cool to bring more stuff from different regions

Architek

Post by Architek »

I think some vocals are ok, unless we're talking about those "dub" versions with phrases all over the place.

The thing is, if someone puts together a mixed compilation he can crop a track to keep only a clean (no vocals) part of it. This is the ideal case imo, because at the same time the track is being shortened (no matter how dope a beat is, 3-4 min of a loop is usually too much).

But, of course, some people don't have the technical knowledge to make a mixed comp. So, i say we stick to what is gonna be heard instead of how each track was initially meant to be like.

I think non-rap tracks should be excluded. (#cough...non-eastcoast tracks should be excluded too...cough#)

Huldrich Bullsh!t

i think there should be 2 westcoast and 2 from other regions south/midwest or whatever and 2 before 1990. people are lazy around these parts i mean i enjoy the stuff (almost) as much as the next man and the compilations are always great but its usually 90% 93-97 NY or east coast.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:i think there should be 2 westcoast and 2 from other regions south/midwest or whatever and 2 before 1990. people are lazy around these parts i mean i enjoy the stuff (almost) as much as the next man and the compilations are always great but its usually 90% 93-97 NY or east coast.
x2

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Sounds like an interesting contest. It's my first time seeing one like this on here on Phila Flava so I'm getting a feel for how you guys usually do it as the thread unfolds. Once the rules are given I'll contribute something too.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Da Me wrote:Is this like a sequel to the one where there had to be a Kool G Rap posse cut and one with some rapper named Snagglepuss on it? That contest worked because the specifics made it somewhat challenging. It would speed things up if everyone started suggesting specific rules.

What if two or more tracks have to have the same sample? Two or more have to have the same word in the title? At least one has to be produced by ____?
The entries will come out better if the rules are stuff that needs to be included, not stuff that is not allowed

yeah its the same principle

good idea to include some producers

Verge

Post by Verge »

OFFICIAL RULES:

1. 15 tracks 

2. 1986 - 1998

6. 1 track from an instrumental project.

9. AT LEAST: 
1 from Canada 
1 from West Coast
1 from the South
1 from the Midwest

10. Use your own judgement with [i]adlibs and hooks[/i]. We're just basicallynot trying to have a bunch of dubs here. If it works, it works.

BONUS STATUS:

I say we take these guidelines and run with it or this is just gonna fall by the wayside. If someone wants to add on something before we start accepting entries, speak up by 11:59PM Sunday night Jan 8th. If there's no additions by then, it's on.

Architek

Post by Architek »

Actually the rules are at holy-shit level of toughness, ha ha, fuck it, let it be.

By the way i need some help with an issue you might be interested in Verge, i'll pm you.

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

CANADA!? What the fuck is a Canada?
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

Verge

Post by Verge »

I know they produced a drake.... but they did also produce a good amount of great beats... gotta dig, you'll find some.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Verge wrote:OFFICIAL RULES:

1. 15 tracks 

2. 1986 - 1998

9. AT LEAST: 
1 from Canada 
1 from West Coast
1 from the South
1 from the Midwest

BONUS STATUS:

I say we take these guidelines and run with it or this is just gonna fall by the wayside. If someone wants to add on something before we start accepting entries, speak up by 11:59PM Sunday night Jan 8th. If there's no additions by then, it's on.

this is cool. will make the whole thing more dfficult but also far more interesting imo

Verge

Post by Verge »

It's on!

Post your compilations here.

Please post tracklist plus link to download.

Architek

Post by Architek »

Two questions:

1) Is it the production or the release year that counts? In other words, what about instrumental versions that got released years after their vocal versions?

2) Are non-american tracks eligible?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Architek wrote:Two questions:

1) Is it the production or the release year that counts? In other words, what about instrumental versions that got released years after their vocal versions?

2) Are non-american tracks eligible?
1) production year.
2) yes.

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Verge wrote:OFFICIAL RULES:

[/quote]

So for instance does this mean  you could not have two tracks produced by anyone from DITC (Diamond, Buckwild, Lord Finesse, Showbiz), because they are the same "crew"?

Huldrich Bullsh!t

i dont think so because they never really were a crew. or were established solo artists before the crew was a factor. as opposed to the Wu Tang Clan for exmaple. just how i see it

have a question aswell:
do you mean one track that was an instrumental to begin with? i know its nitpicking but lets say it was an instrumental interlude off an album or a bonus instrumental (that wasnt rapped on prior) off a 12"
would those be ok or does it have to be off an instrumental EP/LP?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, I meant no more than one track from one producer. No more than one track from one artist. No more than one track from a crew, like you can't have a Wu beat and also a Method Man beat, for example.

I did not mean that Huldrich but come to think about it, yeah what you said is fine. The stipulations are strict as it is so these minor adjustments are fine, imo.

1. 15 tracks 

2. 1986 - 1998

*6. 1 track that was not originally rhymed on, ie interludes, bonus beats, instrumental EPs or LPs.

9. AT LEAST: 
*1 from Canada (or any international beat) 
1 from West Coast
1 from the South
1 from the Midwest

BONUS STATUS:
*= amendments

Architek

Post by Architek »

My submission:

01. Arsonists - Venom || (Produced By Q-Unique, 1998, Serchlite)
02. Shabaam Sahdeeq - Arabian Nights || (Produced By Nick Wiz, 1997, Rawkus)
03. The Brotherhood - One Shot || (Produced By Underdog, 1996, Bite It!)
04. DJ Krush - Only The Strong Survive (Remix) || (Produced By DJ Krush, 1996, Sony)
05. Onyx - Evil Streets Remix || (Produced by ?, 1995, Def Jam)
06. All Natural - Drug Wars || (Produced by His-Panik, 1997, Molemen) [Chicago]
07. Bahamadia - 3 The Hard Way || (Produced by DJ Premier, 1996, Chrysalis)
08. Kool G Rap - Hey Mister Mister || (Produced by T-Ray, 1996(?), Wh/L)
09. Dr. Dre - Deep Cover || (Produced by Dr. Dre, 1992, Death Row) [LA]
10. Maestro Fresh-Wes - Pray To Da East Pt.2 || (Produced by Maestro Fresh-Wes, 1994, LMR) [Canada]
11. The Prunes - Somethin' Funky || (Produced by The Prunes, 1995, New Breed) [from "Tracks From The Darkside" instrumental LP]
12. Ultra Magnetic MC's - Ego Tripping || (Produced by Ultra Magnetic MC's, 1986, Next Plateau)
13. EPMD - Strictly Business || (Produced by EPMD, 1988, Fresh)
14. Mikey Dee - Killers On Wax || (Produced by Fury, 1997, Liquid)
15. Goodie Mob - The Day After || (Produced by Organized Noize Productions, 1995, LaFace) [Atlanta]

http://www.mediafire.com/?zfa5vlqgvn7m1q0

- 224 kbps
- 50 Mb
- 31 min 41 sec

It's been a pleasure, hopefully you'll enjoy too.

*Bolds are referring to the rules
**Definition of major / independent label isn't clear enough to me, i guess Def Jam, Death Row & Sony are considered to be major ones
***No Mizell Bros sample unfortunately, had a couple in mind but couldn't fit them
Last edited by Architek on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verge

Post by Verge »

^Cool, look forward to listenin.
:cheers: