Get Your Read On... (books, mags, etc.)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

HeRBaN LyRiX
Location: NoRTH CaCKaLaCK by way of tha O~DouBLe T, CaNaDa baby!!!

Get Your Read On...E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography Of DMX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

Very interesting read...

E.A.R.L. - The Autobiography Of DMX
Released: 2002
Number Of Pages: 352

From Publishers Weekly
With lyrics that balance an extremely bleak view of urban ghetto "thug life" with a deep spiritual yearning for communion with God, DMX (Earl Simmons) has produced four consecutive No. 1 releases over the past six years, making him one of the undisputed superstars in the hypercompetitive world of hip-hop. On the eve of his fifth release, DMX (with Fontaine, the former music editor of the leading hip-hop magazine, The Source) has chosen to tell his own version of his already well-publicized life story. Born to a single mother in the projects of Yonkers, N.Y., DMX led a life of "running, robbing, rapping" for his first 25 years, serving numerous jail terms until being discovered by the legendary rap record company Def Jam. But this is no quickie celebrity biography: the obvious model is Claude Brown's Manchild in the Promised Land, the classic tale of the rise and fall and redemption of a tough inner-city youth. Like Brown, DMX is unsparing in describing the details of his hard life, including the brutal beatings he experienced at the hands of his mother and her boyfriends and the ease with which he adapted to his incarcerations ("I was used to sleeping on hard surfaces, used to eating rotten food"). As successful as his best recordings ("It's Dark & Hell Is Hot") in describing the tension between the author's street and spiritual sides, this is a painfully honest account of how one individual overcame "a lifetime of suffering" by discovering and believing in his lyric talent.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal
Simmons's rise from impoverished child in Yonkers, NY, to successful hip-hop artist DMX known the world over is indeed an inspiring tale. But here the performer, aided by Fontaine (former music editor of The Source magazine), puts a bit too much emphasis on his violent formative years. Readers must wade through endless accounts of fights, beatings, and compromising positions involving the subject before reaching DMX's later critical and commercial success. Curiously, his artistic accomplishments are given only cursory treatment when they deserve much more; only serious fans will be interested in all the minutiae of his life revealed here. Although this is the first book devoted to DMX, libraries would do better to wait for a more balanced treatment. Not recommended. [DMX will release a new album in December, which may generate some demand for this book; because it will attract many YAs, librarians should take into account its graphic content.-Ed.]-Caroline Dadas, Hickory Hills, I.
--Caroline Dadas, Hickory Hills, IL
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

N`JoY...
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thanks.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

No probs...

herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

HeRBaN LyRiX

Get Your Read On...I Am Hip Hop: Conversations On The Music

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

I Am Hip Hop: Conversations On The Music & Culture
Released: 2011
Number Of Pages: 230

"What is Hip-Hop?" In order to answer this question, author Andrew J. Rausch interviewed 24 individuals whose creative expressions are intimately associated with the world of hip-hop music and culture. Those interviewed include emcees, DJs, producers, graffiti artists, poets, and journalists. Topics of these conversations cover the careers of each of these people and their contributions/affiliations with hip-hop, as well as their views on different trends within the music.

Intended as a celebration of hip-hop music and culture, this collection of interviews ranges from the up-and-coming (Akrobatik, Rob Kelly) to the legendary (Chuck D, Big Daddy Kane). Also interviewed are Eric B., Black Sheep Dres, Chip Fu, Michael Cirelli, Daddy-O, DJ JS-1, dream hampton, Kokane, Kool Keith, Kool Rock Ski, Keith Murray, 9th Wonder, Paradime, R.A. the Rugged Man, Sadat X, Shock G, Special Ed, Spinderella, Sticky Fingaz, and Young MC.

Because many of these artists worked and performed in the so-called "golden age" of hip-hop, they offer insights on the merits and problems of what hip-hop has grown into today. From their candid observations, the reader will understand how each of these men and women have contributed to the culture and how each, in his or her own way, can rightly answer "I AM hip-hop."

N`JoY...
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Verge

Post by Verge »

Thanks for these HeRBaN, I'm just gonna merge the 2 threads and leave it as a bookmark for you or anyone else who has written material to post.

HeRBaN LyRiX

Post by HeRBaN LyRiX »

^Good lookin` out...

Ice: A Memoir Of Gangster Life & Redemption From South Central To Hollywood
Released: 2011
Number Of Pages: 272

Review
Praise for Ice:

ג€œIn this intriguing memoir, groundbreaking rapper and actor Ice-T chronicles his rise from nomadic criminal to hip-hop starג€¦ Ice-T is a canny businessman, and he charts clearly the decisions that brought him up each step of a very treacherous ladder.
ג€“ Publishers Weekly

"In this no-holds-barred memoir, Ice-T writes with refreshing, if profane, down-to-earth candor....A fascinating and inspiring story."
ג€“ Booklist (starred)

ג€œA boldly opinionated, bracingly street-tough memoir.ג€
ג€“ Kirkus Reviews

ג€œAn enlightening readג€¦ For anyone interested in how street smarts are transferable to the entertainment industry.ג€
ג€“ Library Journal

ג€œIce-T, in short, is someone hip-hop might have invented if he hadnג€™t invented himselfג€¦A goes-down-easy m
herban-lyrix.blogspot.ca

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

thank you for the ice-t. I'll definitely read that

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

also would like to recommend prodigy's bio called "my life"..pretty funny stuff at times like nutcracker supposedly shitting in the hallway at a studio etc. haha

also j-zones "book" "root for the villain"

and the 600+ pages strong "the big payback: the history of the business of hip hop"

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

serch4beatz wrote: and the 600+ pages strong "the big payback: the history of the business of hip hop"

I really need to read that. The Prodigy book was very disappointing.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

serch4beatz wrote:also would like to recommend prodigy's bio called "my life"..pretty funny stuff at times like nutcracker supposedly shitting in the hallway at a studio etc. haha

also j-zones "book" "root for the villain"

and the 600+ pages strong "the big payback: the history of the business of hip hop"
Word. I read all 3 of those. Actually have a few pages left in the Jzone book.

I thought the Prodigy book was pretty ill. The highs and lows that he experienced were legendary.

The big pay back was worth the read. Lots of great info on the early days of rap and how most of the labels got involved. Good info on the west coast that i wasnt really up on.

Some other good books:

The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash
The Legends of Hip Hop by Justin Bua
Rockin Steady by Clyde Frazier
TCK Krew. You know how we do..

http://tckonbroadway.podbean.com/

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, I have that Prodigy audio book that's actually him narrating, its about 13 CDs i think. I haven't gotten through even half of it yet but i will soon.

I'm gonna definite cop that -Zone book, dude's a riot.

I'm not sure if i have the Big Payback or not. I know i read a lot of stuff on the business of music but i don't think i read that one.

can't Stop, Won't Stop, I started reading, never finished. Good shit though.

The Wax Poetics anthologies are dope, it's just like a best of of articles from their mags.

I haven't read any of those Carlito mentioned yet.

There's a few more I'll mention when i remember.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

The Wax Poetics stuff sounds great, is it still on sale?

I had a decent book on the history of bootlegs, but it didn't touch on rap at all. Still interesting.

Verge

Post by Verge »

shadowmaster wrote:The Wax Poetics stuff sounds great, is it still on sale?
http://www.waxpoetics.com/books
It looks like the 2 anthologies are still in stock but at $40 a pop, but i mean it's hard cover, lots of pics in color, kind of a collector's items anyway. The two cover books are sold out, I have part 1 but i don't think i ever got part 2. I guess the long and short of it is that they're just pictures of weird record covers. Great coffee table convo piece though.

Verge

Post by Verge »

this looks cool to have:
http://www.amazon.com/Boombox-Project-M ... pd_sim_b_2
pics of all types of vintage boomboxes and shit like that. i guess there's words too, heh.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Verge wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:The Wax Poetics stuff sounds great, is it still on sale?
http://www.waxpoetics.com/books
It looks like the 2 anthologies are still in stock but at $40 a pop, but i mean it's hard cover, lots of pics in color, kind of a collector's items anyway. The two cover books are sold out, I have part 1 but i don't think i ever got part 2. I guess the long and short of it is that they're just pictures of weird record covers. Great coffee table convo piece though.

I would pay that much for something like that, definitely.

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

This any good? http://sp1200-thebook.com/

A bit pricy right?

BC
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

bad-cop wrote:This any good? http://sp1200-thebook.com/

A bit pricy right?

BC
but worth every penny!

Verge

Post by Verge »

Andyman187 wrote:

A bit pricy right?

BC
but worth every penny!
I swore this came with some bonus audio something or other originally?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Thun put me on to quite a few hip hop related books, where are you THUN?!

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

Verge wrote:Yeah, I have that Prodigy audio book that's actually him narrating, its about 13 CDs i think. I haven't gotten through even half of it yet but i will soon.

I'm gonna definite cop that -Zone book, dude's a riot.

I'm not sure if i have the Big Payback or not. I know i read a lot of stuff on the business of music but i don't think i read that one.

can't Stop, Won't Stop, I started reading, never finished. Good shit though.

The Wax Poetics anthologies are dope, it's just like a best of of articles from their mags.

I haven't read any of those Carlito mentioned yet.

There's a few more I'll mention when i remember.
Verge, you'd know if you've read the big payback since it would have taken a few months to complete reading it.

A few other good books, some that i finished in one day, all tell similar stories from around the same time with the same cast of characters all from different perspectives.. very ill to see the common traits.

Keep the Faith by faith evans
Notorious C.O.P. by forgot the cops name
Dancing with the devil by Mark Curry.

Honorable mention in that trilogy is Queens Reigns Supreme by..forgot the author's name.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

A bit pricy right?

BC
I copped it when it dropped, but it got pushed back on my reading sched when a few graffiti books and the the Jzone book came out. looking forward to reading it tho.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

ImageImage

foobar

Post by foobar »

Actually I bought I AM HIP HOP and the ICE-T book. Thanks for the tip.
Interesting read so far.

Verge

Post by Verge »

diggy64 wrote:ImageImage
this reminds me i remember seeing a huge book in fatbeats years ago called "The Sample Bible" or something like that. hmm. not an easy one to google.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Verge, there was also a book that basically took everything from the-breaks.com, wasn't there? Can anyone tell me of any stores that stock the books in diggy's post?

Verge

Post by Verge »

shadowmaster wrote:Verge, there was also a book that basically took everything from the-breaks.com, wasn't there?
Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised but the one im talking about i saw in like 2002. It wouldn't really be necessary to have nowadays but it was something i kept looking at like "damn i gotta buy this one day."

Architek

Post by Architek »

For those who'd like to get closer to graffiti's big picture, there's a great 2-book combo i strongly recommend:

The first book written by a graffiti writer, legendary Phase 2, in collaboration with photographer David Schmidlapp, the creator of International Graffiti Times (the first graff 'zine). Includes cool stories & analysis by Phase 2 plus rare photo material from the 70's. The book is pretty rare itself, it was originally published in '96 i think.

Here's a 400 page monster, a brilliant piece of work by sociologist Joe Austin. The author highlights graffiti emerging as a phenomenon and its impact on NY society of the time. Mayor Koch, the Vandal Squad, the media, the art gallery market etc. are all here.
Extended research on the "great graffiti wars" and how those young rebels were treated as scapegoats. Mostly text, including interviews of both sides, plus some nice pics such as this one i scanned from my copy:

(1980) Left to right: (up) Noc 167, Dondi, Eddie, Crash, Nac 147, Futura 2000, Fact, Pete, Kid 56, Aeron, Rasta, Mousey 56, Shy 147, (down) Daze, Zephyr, Duro

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Verge wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Verge, there was also a book that basically took everything from the-breaks.com, wasn't there?
Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised but the one im talking about i saw in like 2002. It wouldn't really be necessary to have nowadays but it was something i kept looking at like "damn i gotta buy this one day."
Yeah the one I mentioned came out around ten years ago. I wonder if it's the same one. The-breaks used to have a download faq section, but they removed it due to abuse.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

Good post ARCH.

Copped the PHASE 2 book when it dropped at the book release at the Budda Bar. Got it signed by Phase, TAT crew and a bunch of folks. still have my copy crispy.

You dont wanna hurt the folks with too many rare books lol give em a chance to get the good and new shit first.

I have tons of graff books but he second book i've never even heard of, thanks.

BLAKETHOUGHT

Post by BLAKETHOUGHT »

I'm surprised no one made mention of the 2 Brian Coleman contributions "rakim told me" & "check the technique". For the most part "check..." is an expanded version of the other however it doesn't include the chapter about ultramagnetic which is a reason for purchasing both. Essentially its liner notes to some classic albums. It's like the blue note format meets the golden age of hip hop. Honestly everyone needs these books. They're easy reads with insight on the songs, albums, and process from start to finish of classics. Enjoy