Oldest Album in Your Rotation?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dan

Oldest Album in Your Rotation?

Post by Dan »

I'm not talking about the oldest album in your collection, I want to know what the oldest hip hop album you regularly listen to.

I have to assume Illmatic will probably be a popular choice. Also, the first 3 Gang Starr albums. What about groups like Run-DMC? Do any of you ever have the urge to load up the iPod and listen to the self titled or followup King of Rock?
Would anyone admit this is a Fat Boys kind of day and just ride out listening to Crushin' during your commute to and from work/school?

Off the top, I'll regularly throw on:

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions
LL Cool J - BAD
Run-DMC - Raising Hell/Tougher Than Leather
Ultramagnetic - Critical Beatdown
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
Sir Mix-A-Lot - Swass

Sure, with iPod's it's easy to just play random singles from different artists, but try and keep this thread about complete older albums you still listen to.

Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

Wildstyle instrumental LP

aleph

Post by aleph »

Being an old fogy I still listen to the great 87-88 records and since Run-DMC's debut lp was the first I ever bought, sure I'll throw it on for nostalgic reasons. Other pre-87 lps in my iPod:

Just-Ice - Back to the Old School
Schoolly D - Saturday Night the Album
Stet- On Fire

I like to the hear the old Cold Crush routines too

Verge

Post by Verge »

aleph wrote: Just-Ice - Back to the Old School
Schoolly D - Saturday Night the Album
exactly what i was gonna post. Been back on an Ultramagnetic kick again lately too.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

BDP-Criminal Minded and a collection of early BDP/KRS

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ yeah same as Jaz, i bump "Criminal Minded" and ALL the BDP albums except the Live album on a remotely regular basis. i throw on LL Cool J's "B.A.D." quite often, same with "Mama Said Knock You Out". "Funky Technician", Public Enemey's "It Takes A Nation", recently I've been revisiting Ice Cube's solo debut a bit. all three Kool G Rap & Polo albums gets played alot from time to time, Ultimate Force's "I'm Not Playing" and all the earliest DITC albums. mostly stuff between 1986 and 1992 as far as older material goes.

yo Jaz, that girl has been my fucking dream girl since the '70s show haha, mad props :)
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

K-Solo - Tell The World My Name

step one

Post by step one »

the first 2 Ice Cube LPs
Nation Of Millions
Illmatic
The Cactus
Midnight Marauders
The Chronic

all get reasonably regular plays. I tend to mainly bump mixes and homemade compilations rather than full albums though.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

banister kronos

Post by banister kronos »

mc_eiht-we_come_strapped-1994-Geaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

3rd Bass has been getting a lot of spins with me. The production on the Cactus album is great.

william g.

Post by william g. »

Rotation not collection?

Ok..

EPMD-Strictly Business
Mantronix-The Album

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Anything by Eric B & Rakim

NWA and Eazy FTW

Wildstyle is a great call. I'll always blast that album.

Plenty more from the late 80's that I can't think of. My wife hates it. I love it. She has terrible taste in music so when she dislikes something it only further instills my confidence that I have amazing taste in music and everything else that's good in life.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

2 Live Crew is What We Are
Move Something
Rhyme Pays
Power
Born to Mack
Life is Too Short

These seem to be the oldest albums I listen to.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

can't believe i forgot the Eric B & Rakim albums, that's heavy rotation for me. as far as 12"s goes, Run DMC's "Sucker MC's" (yeah i know it was the B-side but to me that's the epitome of that single), LL Cool J's "Rock the Bells" and Uptown's "Dope On Plastic"... man there were so many ill hip-hop albums and 12" back in the '80s. "Radio" by LL was a super dope LP too
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Kurtis Blow 1st album

Grandmaster Flash - The Message

and

Sugarhill Gang

are on steady rotation

king beef

Post by king beef »

Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force: Planet Rock
Egyptian Lover
Run DMC: Raising Hell
BDP: By Any Means Necessary
Eric B adn Rakim: Paid In Full
LL: I'm Bad
Too Short: Born To Mack

Versive

Post by Versive »

Treacherous Three - Whip It

It took me a long time to be able to get into anything older than 85-86, but nowadays I listen to late '70s and early '80s shit all of the time, however, mostly singles. That's the oldest regularly played EP/LP I can think of off the top.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Paid in full and Radio

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Whodini
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Never thought about this before, but in terms of rotation I honestly don't think I've listened to the same pre-2000 era hip hop album more than twice in the past 5 years. If I had to pick one now from my collection I would happily listen all the way through today, the oldest would probably be Organized Konfusion's debut 1991

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

for me it changed in the recent years. comparing with how much place it takes in my collection i barely ever listen to stuff 97-now
sure there are some records i take out and i try to listen to stuff sometimes i havent checked in a while. but a lot of the 2000 stuff bores me now.

i tend to break out albums from 86-93 mostly when i listen to hip hop nowadays. (me branching out to alot of oher genres in recent years and now living with my girlfriend whos not too keen on hip hop those moments get lesser)

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

I'm a 92-98 fanboy.

I would say early Biz and Slick Rick see the platters on the reg though, in addition to those mentioned.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

claaa7 wrote:^ yeah same as Jaz, i bump "Criminal Minded" and ALL the BDP albums except the Live album on a remotely regular basis. i throw on LL Cool J's "B.A.D." quite often, same with "Mama Said Knock You Out". "Funky Technician", Public Enemey's "It Takes A Nation", recently I've been revisiting Ice Cube's solo debut a bit. all three Kool G Rap & Polo albums gets played alot from time to time, Ultimate Force's "I'm Not Playing" and all the earliest DITC albums. mostly stuff between 1986 and 1992 as far as older material goes.

yo Jaz, that girl has been my fucking dream girl since the '70s show haha, mad props :)
:cheers: X :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

More Gravy Please

Post by More Gravy Please »

The Chosen Ones - Enter The Lord album has been in my iPod for around 6 months and I never tire of it. Under rated LP for sure.

kimani

Post by kimani »

Divine Styler, niggaz!
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Post by 907 »

I listen to the early Beastie Boys albums a few times a year, at least. Same with paid in full, and some other stuff from that time.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I started to get into hip-hop in 82, but it was the Street Sounds Electro albums that really made me a huge fan, so I still listen to those all the time. The first one was released in 1983.

Once you got to the mid/late 80s, there's fucking loads. To me, 80s hip-hop > 90s > all the rest.