Screem- Hot Peas N Butter worth anything?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Da Me

Screem- Hot Peas N Butter worth anything?

Post by Da Me »

Yesterday I picked up a sealed copy of this record for 5$ (2.50$ if I had remembered to remind the guy that hip hop vinyl was half off). Without a smart phone, buying records involves some guesswork for even the most experienced listeners. I've never bought a hip hop record before but I've heard of singles very similar to this going for $800 - $1000 on ebay recently. Since I was already familiar with this record, if it wasn't worth anything I could just open it and have another dope piece of vinyl.
Well I found it listed on discogs for no more than $16, with a sealed copy priced at $12. From what I know, I feel like records like this have peaked in the last few years, so I'm wondering what your guys opinions are on if it is now or could ever be worth shit? With it being sealed, I have to make the choice to either bust it out or leave it sealed in the hope that it will one day be worth $50+
Also, it says "From the forthcoming album Screem For Ya Life", which obviously never came out. but does anyone have any info about what happened to it? And what is the picture on the label? It appears to be a man with a jheri curl licking a blunt shaped record with smoke coming out of it.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I wish I could help out, but I just found out about these guys earlier this year (through Youtube). I thought Hot Peas N Butter was a pretty good mid-90's joint.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

There's probably a reason the LP never came out. Catalog alongside De La Soul for tracks about peas and move on.

And eff diggin' for dollars, dig for the music. Mad gems in the dollar bin.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

And eff diggin' for dollars, dig for the music. Mad gems in the dollar bin.
I wouldn't have bought this if it wasn't a nice piece of wax in the first place, but if it happened to be worth $800 I couldn't justify not selling it. Honestly, I was almost hoping it wasn't worth anything so I could keep it.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Keep your eyes out for these while digging then...:gyeah:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

Keep your eyes out for these while digging then...
Damn, I haven't even heard of one of those records
Do you have any mp3s of these?

And seriously, I'm still dying to bust it open, does anyone think that record could ever be worth anything?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Nah it's not worth much and i don't think it ever will be but i guess you never know. Opening it won't degrade the value to most people anyways.

I remember the video getting play on video music box or rap city, I always thought it was aiight. The hook has always stuck with me for some reason, that gruffy onyx type voice that so many people were using back then. Not that that means anything cause there's plenty of bitin records from back then that go for dough now.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6Q9i0qP-JE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6Q9i0qP-JE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?releas ... 9954&ev=rb

This conversation would probably be best placed in the VLS thread, if anyone wants to start re-upping some of those records that have been posted in the past.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

This conversation would probably be best placed in the VLS thread, if anyone wants to start re-upping some of those records that have been posted in the past.
I already got a vinyl rip of this if anyone needs an upload
If anyone has any records that diggy64 posted I'd love to hear them.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Da Me wrote:
I'll see what I got - pretty sure the Godfather Don TP and Henchmen are readily available.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

lol. i went to hs with these dudes. cool kids from the neighborhood. ralph mcdaniels shot the video and got some good footage of the deadtracks. i remember going up on those tracks and wondering who put those posters up over the pieces only to see the video a few weeks later.
TCK Krew. You know how we do..

http://tckonbroadway.podbean.com/

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

lol. i went to hs with these dudes. cool kids from the neighborhood. ralph mcdaniels shot the video and got some good footage of the deadtracks. i remember going up on those tracks and wondering who put those posters up over the pieces only to see the video a few weeks later.
I listened to the 12 and it's really impressive. Do you have any idea what happened to the album that never was?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Carlito Roc wrote:lol. i went to hs with these dudes. cool kids from the neighborhood. ralph mcdaniels shot the video and got some good footage of the deadtracks. i remember going up on those tracks and wondering who put those posters up over the pieces only to see the video a few weeks later.
Hah, so that explains why i remember seeing the video quite a few times, probably Uncle Ralph playing it.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

diggy64 wrote:
Da Me wrote:
I'll see what I got - pretty sure the Godfather Don TP and Henchmen are readily available.