Collabos between sampling and sampled artists

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

bignormy

Collabos between sampling and sampled artists

Post by bignormy »

I've been on an Isaac Hayes kick lately and noticed how on his 1995 comeback album Branded, Hayes had a dope remake of "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalynistic" featuring Chuck D. (If you don't already know Hyperbolic... from 1969's Hot Buttered Soul, provides the main sample for Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

I can't think of many examples like this - especially when the sampled artists is the one making the remake and featuring the sampler.

A few other examples fall in different categories:

- Cover of original song features sampler of original song
John Legend f/ CL Smooth - Our Generation (sampled on Straighten It Out)

- Sampled artist remakes original song to match the sampling office in lame attempt to stay current
Melle Mel remaking or performing the Message with "can't nobody hold me down" in the hook

- a million of examples of an rapper covering a rap song and featuring the original artist
for some reason the example I think of is Xzibit f/ KRS - Kenny Parker Show 2001 - but there are countless examples of this; that Mario - Just a Friend featuring Biz, etc

- sampling song featuring an out of place sampled artist
PE f/ Stephen Stills - He Got Game

werner von wallenrod blogged about a similar example of Ice T featuring War on a remix of a War-sampling song
I think George Clinton jumped on a few death row era remixes

- song samples a contemporaneous song and the sampled artist is billed as a feature
Eminem f/ Dido - Stan

Anyone feel like adding on? It's always interesting how a sampled artist really endorses the sample in these situations by blessing it with a cameo

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Re: Collabos between sampling and sampled artists

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

some interesting collaborations i can think of

Ice T and Curtis Mayfield made a newer evrsion of superfly im guessing as a result of the success of I'm your pusher or because curtis liked Ice's version...

funnily the Lenny Kravitz remix is way superior

Ice Cube and George Clinton

Miles Davis recording with Easy Mo Bee might fall somewhere into your categories or you'd need to make another one
Black Eyed Peas Album with Sergio Mendez (album isn't very good though but Will I Am knows his music hate all you want.)

Roots (proceed) and Lord Finesse (soul plan? i dont remember) made songs with Roy Ayers

another bag, but it's a funny story that Daft Punk commissioned Dilla to remix a song of theirs after they heard how he flipped a sample of theirs (without him knowing it was them) on raise it up.

David Axelrod's dedication to Dr Dre and Diamond D for their flipping of his samples (next episode, and soul on ice remix) wich he personally thought were great

don't know why you say out of place sample regarding the PE song. personally i always loved the track the vocals match the music. and im not sure but i don't think anyone from Buffalo Springfield is featured on the track its just a sample.
this is what i'd call out of place but the fact he invited them its still fuckin great and awesome:

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
don't know why you say out of place sample regarding the PE song. personally i always loved the track the vocals match the music. and im not sure but i don't think anyone from Buffalo Springfield is featured on the track its just a sample.
I like the song too (although less now that Ray Allen is a traitor) but it didn't really feel like a PE song, no noize at all, and kind of a simplistic sample. But I'm pretty sure Stills was on the song and in the video, himself, with Flav adlibs addressing him - that was a little out of place.

Was the video version of that song ever released on vinyl? I think I just got it off youtube or PE's website or some fansite.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

walk on by sample, hayes did the hook

Versive

Post by Versive »

^such a great song

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Snoop's Upside Ya Head sampling The Gap Band and featuring Charlie Wilson of the Gap Band
Biggie & Jay-Z's I Love The Dough sampling I Love You More by Rene & Angela and featuring Angela Winbush
Sunz Of Man - Shining Star sampling and featuring Earth, WInd & Fire
Nas - Reach Out basically being a remake of Hot Day - Hot Day Master Mix and featuring co-production by Hot Day
LL Cool J - Doin It covering 2 Much - Wild Thang and featuring LeShaun of 2 Much

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

illuminati_guy wrote:

walk on by sample, hayes did the hook
I remember some tracklists for Bulletproof Wallets (or a different Ghost album) including a "Walk on By" - did that turn into this song, or was it different? Ghost sampled "My Guitar Gently Weeps" before the whole Wu did on 8 diagrams...

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

B-legit and Daryl Hall - ghetto smile
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufAvrEtuuU[/video]

dirtywaters

Post by dirtywaters »

roots/roy ayers - proceed remix is pretty dope

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Luniz - I Got 5 On It is another example: sampling Club Nouveau and featuring Mike Marshall of Club Nouveau

Dan

Post by Dan »

Run-DMC and Aerosmith, Walk This Way.

Thereallex

Post by Thereallex »

Galt Mc Dermot and Oh No