Kool G Rap - Rated XXX

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

bignormy

Kool G Rap - Rated XXX

Post by bignormy »

I dug this album out recently, and was curious about the history of it. Is it all mainly outtakes, or was some of it intended for a 4th Cold Chillin' G Rap and Polo album?

I really like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" even if it is a little cheesy - anyone know what age it is? It doesn't really strike me as a throwaway, and it was released as the single for the album.

I was googling to see if there were any write ups / blog posts on the album. I did find an interesting review on Amazon. We already know that "Enter the Dragon" was remixed on this album; the original turned up on the DWG/Hot Chillin "Juice Crew EP". But this amazon review also says that "I Ain't Trickin" and "Under 21 Not Permitted" also have better original versions - anyone know where to find these?

Check the Bitch was also on advance versions of 4,5,6 , which is released on "Cold Chillin / Epic". So I guess it's not so weird that it made it to the cold chillin Rated XXX release.

Anyone else have info on the origins of this compilation? It's very ironic that it contained the backlog of G's humorous and filthy sex raps- since those elements have been missing from pretty much all his solo work.

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars "Rated XXXtra cheesey" August 28, 2005
By "Old Skool" Ran-Dee
Format:Audio CD
When I first saw this CD in '96 and saw that it contained the underground and almost mythical song "ENTER THE DRAGON" (G Rap's best lyrical display on wax!) I knew I had to get it! I almost flipped when the classic Marley Marl played only twice on the radio in '87, was nothing but a watered-down, wack-ass version of the original classic. The same was the case with the previuosly unreleased tracks like "I AIN'T TRICKIN'" and "UNDER 21 NOT PERMITTED". None of these are the original, but some wack versions of some dope underground classics. The only original classics are "RHYME TIME" and "RIKERS ISLAND". The new tracks ain't even all that and the rest of the tracks you can find them on their previous releases. Nothing I would consider classic or a must have here. Don't get me wrong, though! Despite the mediocre beats, G Rap spits venom over each track, but the tracks are so wack, they can't compensate even with a lyrical genius like G Rap. You're better off checking for; KOOL G RAP & DJ POLO: The Best of Cold Chillin'.

HipHopInfinityRIPLOL

Re: Kool G Rap - Rated XXX

Post by HipHopInfinityRIPLOL »

i think i remember seeing ads for this in the source in 95. but i could be confusing that with a biz markie album. i was under the impression this was some sort of greatest hits album so i never bothered listening to it.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I haven't seen much written about the origins of this album, seems like an album that was just thrown out there and gained recognition not because of record label promo but based on G Rap's name and the quality of his work. I remember not picking it up for awhile just because there wasn't much talk about it when it came out, but after awhile I came to realize it was most likely the label who was slacking on the promo.

One of my favorite songs is Keep It Swingin' because of the unique flow G used that is unlike any of his other songs.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verge

Post by Verge »

I didnt know about this until about 2000 and i like this version of Enter The Dragon too. Pretty sure there was rumors that songs like Check A Bitch and Hey Mister were intended for the Bitch Haters Club with Akinyele and Nas that never happened. But i could be way wrong.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Break a Bitch Neck too of course.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I'll check and see if the version of Check the Bitch on the 4,5,6 advance is different.

Interesting how the Rated XXX version has some dialogue afterwards talking about "Break a Bitch Neck", lends credence to the Bitch Haters Club theory.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

My 456 advance turns out to be 1 verse snippets. So I'm glad that check the bitch sounds identical to the rated xxx version