Jeru The Damaja Instrumental LP Auction Ends at $1,226.00!!!

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

Jeru The Damaja Instrumental LP Auction Ends at $1,226.00!!!

Post by Jaz »

Breeze

Re: Jeru The Damaja Instrumental LP Auction Ends at $1,226.0

Post by Breeze »

Jealous as fuck.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Retarded prices.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Who cares? This shit is boring by 2013...I want the Kamakaze LP...Premier sucks nowadays...

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

it's probably worth it. I'd bet it's an asian with fat pockets who will bootleg it and make their money back plus some.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Stieflkater wrote:Who cares? This shit is boring by 2013...I want the Kamakaze LP...Premier sucks nowadays...
=
Breeze wrote:Jealous as fuck.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I wonder how DJ Premier feels about someone sellin that shit when obviously whoever sold it is someone Preem probably gave that too, or someone associated with the person Preem gave that too. Seems kinda fucked up to sell somethin like that and make a profit when it’s not your profit to be made. I think it’s some fgt shit to be honest. *shaking head*

step one

Post by step one »

WiCkEd22 wrote:I wonder how DJ Premier feels about someone sellin that shit when obviously whoever sold it is someone Preem probably gave that too, or someone associated with the person Preem gave that too. Seems kinda fucked up to sell somethin like that and make a profit when it’s not your profit to be made. I think it’s some fgt shit to be honest. *shaking head*
:fail: :arrow:

you some sort of fucking hippie now?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

step son wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote:I wonder how DJ Premier feels about someone sellin that shit when obviously whoever sold it is someone Preem probably gave that too, or someone associated with the person Preem gave that too. Seems kinda fucked up to sell somethin like that and make a profit when it’s not your profit to be made. I think it’s some fgt shit to be honest. *shaking head*
you some sort of fucking hippie now?
Huh???

Look br0, I have a lot of problems in general for what everything has become in regards to vinyl and more specifically, Hiphop vinyl and even CD's and all these crazy prices and all these people who feel like they can sell these records for hundreds of dollars and all that. I think it's fucked up when the artists who made these records don't see any of that money and some fuckin clown somewhere out there decides to sell a record for HUNDREDS when he only paid $5 for. I look at places like Discogs in DISGUST!! People SELLING Demo Tapes and making a HUGE PROFIT, yet those same people have an issue with sharing mp3's of the shit on the tapes. Like, what the fuck?! So you respect the artist by not putting the MUSIC out there, yet you DISRESPECT the artist at the same time by selling his Demo Tape for $500??? Makes ZERO sense. Again, I just hate what all this shit has become. And then all these people who buy multiple copies of Limited Records, only to turn around the very next day and sell the record for 2 or 3 times the price you just paid yesterday. I buy 1 fcukin copy for myself to keep and that's it. I don't buy an extra copy just so I can rip someone else off. I would never feel good about myself as a person to do somethin like that, especially to a fellow Hiphop head. *shaking head*

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

WiCkEd22 wrote: People SELLING Demo Tapes and making a HUGE PROFIT, yet those same people have an issue with sharing mp3's of the shit on the tapes. Like, what the fuck?! So you respect the artist by not putting the MUSIC out there, yet you DISRESPECT the artist at the same time by selling his Demo Tape for $500??? Makes ZERO sense.
I don't know, that one makes some sense. The tape itself is a valuable collectible that's out there; there's not much wrong with selling that memorabilia. Nobody claims Barry Bonds is disrespected when his home run ball is auctioned. But publicly sharing the music could be considered disrespectful to the artist.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

DJCommunist wrote:
Stieflkater wrote:Who cares? This shit is boring by 2013...I want the Kamakaze LP...Premier sucks nowadays...
=
Breeze wrote:Jealous as fuck.

:lol:
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

step one

Post by step one »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Look br0, I have a lot of problems in general

grass

Post by grass »

It was probably Jeru himself who sold it.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

bignormy wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote: People SELLING Demo Tapes and making a HUGE PROFIT, yet those same people have an issue with sharing mp3's of the shit on the tapes. Like, what the fuck?! So you respect the artist by not putting the MUSIC out there, yet you DISRESPECT the artist at the same time by selling his Demo Tape for $500??? Makes ZERO sense.
I don't know, that one makes some sense. The tape itself is a valuable collectible that's out there; there's not much wrong with selling that memorabilia. Nobody claims Barry Bonds is disrespected when his home run ball is auctioned. But publicly sharing the music could be considered disrespectful to the artist.
Difference is, when a Home Run ball is hit, whoever gets it is the rightful owner just like any foul ball. THAT IS THE RULES IN BASEBALL!! No player owns any of the balls regardless if he hit it. Major League Baseball is the owner of the balls until they reach the fans from any number of ways. C'mon, son!

Also, music is meant to be HEARD!! Why else would someone make music??? These Demo Tapes were GIVEN to specific people and were not ever intended to be SOLD! How the fuck is it disrespectful to the artist to put his or her music out there when the whole point of making music is for people to LISTEN to it??? C'mon, son!
Last edited by WiCkEd22 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

step one wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote:Look br0, I have a lot of problems in general
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

???

So, whomever owned this record (somebody you're presuming that was given the record by Premo) isn't allowed to part with it for fear of turning a profit? That's bonkers.

Set aside the presumption that the wax was gifted to the seller by Premier (I know of heads who work in pressing plants who have raer TPs, etc - knowing the artist isn't the only way to get hold of limited wax), once the record is in the sellers possession, he's not obligated to not sell it. If he owns it, he can do what the fuck he wants to do with it. If that means sell it for profit, then why not - it's his record.

It's not like Premo is missing out on anything.

Worrying about some next man's businesses is on some weird, nosey wrong shit, especially a presumably relatively wealthy musician.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Mark 563 wrote:So, whomever owned this record (somebody you're presuming that was given the record by Premo) isn't allowed to part with it for fear of turning a profit? That's bonkers.

Set aside the presumption that the wax was gifted to the seller by Premier (I know of heads who work in pressing plants who have raer TPs, etc - knowing the artist isn't the only way to get hold of limited wax), once the record is in the sellers possession, he's not obligated to not sell it. If he owns it, he can do what the fuck he wants to do with it. If that means sell it for profit, then why not - it's his record.

Worrying about some next man's businesses is on some weird, nosey wrong shit, especially a presumably relatively wealthy musician.
If DJ Premier really did give someone a copy of this, don't you think he would have done so because he thought the person would actually USE the record and LISTEN to it and maybe even Mix/DJ with it? Why would he just give someone something that's rare knowing that person was just gonna sell it? Get real, br0.

And ok, you know people who work in pressing plants that have ultra rare copies of test pressings. Well, if those people have those ultra rare test pressings as records in their collection that they will keep and actually use, then I have no problem there, but if those same people were to sell those ultra rare test pressings, then I say those fgts deserve their balls cut off because they have NO right to do so! Let me guess Mark, you're one of these clowns who somehow thinks that music should be free and that there's nothing wrong with downloading music that was NOT intended to be free, right? If so, then clearly you have an ultra WARPED way of thinking. *shaking head*

Anyways, you CLEARLY don't get shit and you're probably one of these clowns who takes other peoples shit and turns a profit and rips off fellow Hiphop heads, and probably people in general. You should be really proud of yourself, br0. And lol at it bein "weird" about people worrying about the next mans business. THAT'S LIFE, br0!! Look around you and maybe turn on the tv and the radio or read a newspaper or a magazine cuz clearly the WHOLE WORLD is worried about every next man and next womans business. Just sayin... *shrugs*

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:So, whomever owned this record (somebody you're presuming that was given the record by Premo) isn't allowed to part with it for fear of turning a profit? That's bonkers.

If DJ Premier really did give someone a copy of this, don't you think he would have done so because he thought the person would actually USE the record and LISTEN to it and maybe even Mix/DJ with it? Why would he just give someone something that's rare knowing that person was just gonna sell it? Get real, br0.

And ok, you know people who work in pressing plants that have ultra rare copies of test pressings. Well, if those people have those ultra rare test pressings as records in their collection that they will keep and actually use, then I have no problem there, but if those same people were to sell those ultra rare test pressings, then I say those fgts deserve their balls cut off because they have NO right to do so! Let me guess Mark, you're one of these clowns who somehow thinks that music should be free and that there's nothing wrong with downloading music that was NOT intended to be free, right? If so, then clearly you have an ultra WARPED way of thinking. *shaking head*

Anyways, you CLEARLY don't get shit and you're probably one of these clowns who takes other peoples shit and turns a profit and rips off fellow Hiphop heads, and probably people in general. You should be really proud of yourself, br0. And lol at it bein "weird" about people worrying about the next mans business. THAT'S LIFE, br0!! Look around you and maybe turn on the tv and the radio or read a newspaper or a magazine cuz clearly the WHOLE WORLD is worried about every next man and next womans business. Just sayin... *shrugs*
Seriously, bruv, stop with the assumptions - "you're one of these... / you're probably one of these" - unless you know who or what you're talking about, it's generally safer not to make an assumption and run with it.

First up. Have you not considered that the original owner of the record may have actually played the record on a number of occasions over the years, or maybe it was a spare? Parting with something that is almost 20 years old doesn't mean the owner hasn't used it for its intended purpose.

Your line of thinking seems to be along these lines:- somebody gives you a gift - you are never allowed to part with it, and certainly not turn a profit off of it.

Have you never parted with any gift you've been given?

As for selling TPs or raer pressings (regardless of how they've been obtained), surely that's on the owner. I've encountered countless former record collectors over the years (mostly from working in record stores), who for one reason or another have had to part with their record collection. Reasons ranging from lack of room, mortgage repayments, impending kids, nagging wife, simply just needing cash. Are you saying that if these people had something raer, that they shouldn't be allowed to part with it? I just can't figure your line of thinking.

I have a few desirable records and a couple of local TPs in my collection. I've played them, and currently value them as decent records in my collections. Some of them were even given to me by the artists who recorded them. Am I somehow obliged to never sell them, regardless of my financial situation?

As for your bizarre accusations of me? Downloading doesn't bother me. I'm a record collector first and foremost and am a sucker for the physical product. I download occasionally, but normally it's just a case of DLing records I already own to listen to on my iPhone, saving me from having to rip my own records.

The taking shit and turning for a profit call-out? Nah, bruv, you got the wrong kid. I'm more a buyer than seller. I've certainly sold a heap on eBay over the years, but nothing of much note. Just a few years back, I sold off 8 or 9 crates for next to nothing, in order to make room for our son (who was due at the time).

rather than making assumptions and then running with them to further your point, just deal with the things you do know.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Mark 563 wrote:Have you not considered that the original owner of the record may have actually played the record on a number of occasions over the years, or maybe it was a spare? Parting with something that is almost 20 years old doesn't mean the owner hasn't used it for its intended purpose.

Your line of thinking seems to be along these lines:- somebody gives you a gift - you are never allowed to part with it, and certainly not turn a profit off of it.

As for selling TPs or raer pressings (regardless of how they've been obtained), surely that's on the owner.
Mark, I've heard DJ Premier on various occasions, including him mentioning on his radio show that HE presses up about 10 copies each of the instrumental vinyls of his albums. So if someone has it, it's not cuz that person "has a spare" or anything. Again, if someone has it, it's because they got it from Premier themself or because they got it from someone who got it from Premier. This is not somethin that the record label pressed up and sent out to anyone. Again, DJ Premier has said that HE presses this kinda shit up HIMSELF! I've heard him talk about it with my own ears on his radio show. Now I know that Premier does talk a lot, so even though he may have said one time that he presses up about 10 copies, who knows, maybe it's really 20? Whatever the case, again, this is not somethin that was sent or given out by the label.

And think about this for a second. You're some kind of artist, right? I mean I think I've seen you make some of those album covers or pics of rappers, right? So let's say you're kinda known and you make only 10 copies of some painting or a print and it's really rare and you only gave a few copies to some friends. It wouldn't bother you that somethin you basically made for yourself, ended up bein sold for a lot of money to make a profit, potentially from someone you gave that to? That would bother me.

I don't have a problem if somethin you bought commercially you sell for more money, but somethin like the Jeru Instrumental LP was not somethin that was EVER intended to be for sale because the person who made it, made it for themself to be used for touring and shows and what not. Also, you're whole attitude regarding the Test Pressing thing and not giving a shit how they were obtained demonstrates your lack of respect for Hiphop Music & Culture. See, I do care because I respect this Culture. If you work at a pressing plant and you take one of or make a copy for yourself (of a record), then you're obtaining that shit without consent and you have NO RIGHT to go and sell it becuase that shit was not intended for you or to be sold like that. If the artist or anyone involved with the making of the record meaing the producer or whatever wants to sell it, then that's on them because it's their music anyways. I don't know man, you're not gonna change anything with how I see this because again, it just comes down to RESPECT, somethin I have a lot of when it comes to this Music and Culture. If someone's gonna be making $1,600 off the Jeru Instrumental LP, it should be DJ Premier or Jeru The Damaja unless the person selling it has either of or both of their consent. Just sayin...

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:Have you not considered that the original owner of the record may have actually played the record on a number of occasions over the years, or maybe it was a spare? Parting with something that is almost 20 years old doesn't mean the owner hasn't used it for its intended purpose.

As for selling TPs or raer pressings (regardless of how they've been obtained), surely that's on the owner.
Mark, I've heard DJ Premier on various occasions, including him mentioning on his radio show that HE presses up about 10 copies each of the instrumental vinyls of his albums. So if someone has it, it's not cuz that person "has a spare" or anything. Again, if someone has it, it's because they got it from Premier themself or because they got it from someone who got it from Premier. This is not somethin that the record label pressed up and sent out to anyone. Again, DJ Premier has said that HE presses this kinda shit up HIMSELF! I've heard him talk about it with my own ears on his radio show. Now I know that Premier does talk a lot, so even though he may have said one time that he presses up about 10 copies, who knows, maybe it's really 20? Whatever the case, again, this is not somethin that was sent or given out by the label.
I understand these are show vinyls. I understand they would have been pressed in very small numbers. I understand this isn't a promo record sent out by the labels. I am fully capable of reading, and I fullu understand the purpose of show vinyls.
WiCkEd22 wrote: And think about this for a second. You're some kind of artist, right? I mean I think I've seen you make some of those album covers or pics of rappers, right? So let's say you're kinda known and you make only 10 copies of some painting or a print and it's really rare and you only gave a few copies to some friends. It wouldn't bother you that somethin you basically made for yourself, ended up bein sold for a lot of money to make a profit, potentially from someone you gave that to? That would bother me.
Yes, I'm an artist. And, no, it wouldn't bother me if one of my artworks was sold by somebody for a lot of money. Surely the very fact that your art is selling at an extreme price would be flattering. It's par for course. Artworks are forever exchanged for increasing prices.
WiCkEd22 wrote: I don't have a problem if somethin you bought commercially you sell for more money, but somethin like the Jeru Instrumental LP was not somethin that was EVER intended to be for sale because the person who made it, made it for themself to be used for touring and shows and what not. Also, you're whole attitude regarding the Test Pressing thing and not giving a shit how they were obtained demonstrates your lack of respect for Hiphop Music & Culture. See, I do care because I respect this Culture. If you work at a pressing plant and you take one of or make a copy for yourself (of a record), then you're obtaining that shit without consent and you have NO RIGHT to go and sell it becuase that shit was not intended for you or to be sold like that. If the artist or anyone involved with the making of the record meaing the producer or whatever wants to sell it, then that's on them because it's their music anyways. I don't know man, you're not gonna change anything with how I see this because again, it just comes down to RESPECT, somethin I have a lot of when it comes to this Music and Culture. If someone's gonna be making $1,600 off the Jeru Instrumental LP, it should be DJ Premier or Jeru The Damaja unless the person selling it has either of or both of their consent. Just sayin...
Hold up? What attitude towards TPs? I don't think I've displayed any atitude towards them, other than that they exist and that they are often sold. What on earth are you going on about?

How can you conclude I have a lack of respect for Hip Hop Culture? What fucking planet are you on, bruv?

Re the TPs that are obtained by workers at the plant. That's a standard. If you don't think it goes on with every single record pressed, then you're a naive chap. I don't work at a pressing plant, but I know people who do/did. When any records are test pressed (read: all records), they will be run in short numbers, right? Of course, because they are proof copies generally run to test the quality of the press. 10 or 20 copies may go to the artist / label (for the purpose of checking), but there will always be extra copies made by the manufacturers, often filed with the job bag, as a reference to the job. Why shouldn't these be sold by the owner (the pressing plant owner) latter down the track? He owns them, he has covered the cost of producing them and has every right to sell them, especially if it's 20 years after they dropped.

Still, you never answered my questions about the TPs or raers I have been given, and why I should feel obliged to forever hold on to them.

step one

Post by step one »

Pretty sure Primo is to be busy tarnishing his legacy making beats for people like Nick Javas and Termanology to care if someone turned a profit reselling his records.