good interview with Pete Nice (3rd Bass)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

step one

good interview with Pete Nice (3rd Bass)

Post by step one »

Really indepth.

http://oldtothenew.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -part-one/

http://oldtothenew.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -part-two/

http://oldtothenew.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... art-three/
http://oldtothenew.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... part-four/
we used to show up everywhere and anywhere. To the point where, even when we didn’t have records out, if Serch connected with a promoter or something, they’d be like, ‘Do you guys want to come out to Illinois?’ or something like that. Actually, we went on one trip to the Bay Area as judges for a basketball contest that Hammer was at. There was a dunk contest, a three-point contest and they also had a dance contest. That’s where the beef started between Serch and Hammer, because Hammer wouldn’t let Serch get into the dance contest (laughs). But I remember we were there with like UTFO, Whodini, Grandmaster Dee was there, so we were with a lot of old-timers even before we had our own records out as a group. We would basically go anywhere and do anything we could to promote ourselves and the group.”
So there were just a lot of common denominators involved in the situation. Also, at the time, the Beastie Boys had left Def Jam, so that added to a lot of it as well. Like I said, I didn’t really know them. In fact, the only time I ever really had any contact with them myself was when our then manager Lyor Cohen got marrried in the Dominican Republic in 1988 and he invited all the artists. I remember Serch was dying to go but he couldn’t get out of work. But it was literally everybody; Run DMC, Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, LL, me, EPMD, Davy D, Tashan, Original Concept. It was nuts. I mean, if the planes had gone down there would have been no Def Jam (laughs). I have pictures of Flavor Flav in a yarmulke at the wedding (laughs). But that was really the only time I had any contact with the Beasties and they probably didn’t even know who I was at that time, they’d probably just heard about these couple of other white rappers.
Last edited by step one on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

step one

Re: good interview with Pete Nice (3rd Bass)

Post by step one »

Any classic Lyor memories?

“I remember, one time we were in London with Lyor at a big hotel around Piccadilly Circus. We’d come in at the time for those rave shows they used to have out there where kids would call a phone number to get the location of the party. I remember, there were these Nigerian princes who were funding and organising them and they’d promised to pay Lyor £25,000 for Public Enemy and another £5,000 for 3rd Bass. It was just a whole s**tload of money. I remember Lyor saying to them that he was bringing us over and if the authorities came after them or anything that he was getting his money either way. So what happened this time we went was the show never happened. Lyor flew us over with PE and De La Soul. I remember it vividly, because right when we went on that trip our “Steppin’ To The A.M.” video was released on Video Music Box in New York. So we weren’t actually in New York when it first hit, but that’s when our record sales really started to jump. But I remember Lyor with one of these Nigerian princes in the restaurant of the hotel we were in just going crazy like (adopts angry Israeli accent), ‘Listen you motherf**king prince, get me my f**king money or you’re going to be living in the f**king bush! The king, your father, is going to send you out to the bush by the time I’m done with you.’ Sure enough, he ended up paying Lyor even though there was no show (laughs).”

Versive

Post by Versive »

Good read. Lord Scotch is such a legendary character...

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

DOPE IV - i d like to hear some Lord Scotch rhymes on beat...

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

This is a really great interview. Thanks for posting.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Not a fan of 3rd Bass (although I did enjoy Dust to Dust) but this is a really, really dope interview. Thanx 4 sharing this, Versive! :cheers:

step one

Post by step one »

Digital Stimulation

Post by Digital Stimulation »

That was a GREAT interview. Thanks for posting :cheers:

I was never really a huge Pete Nice fan on the mic, but I've always had tremendous respect for Pete because he seems like such a genuine, down to earth, cool guy. This interview being further evidence of such.

Hard to believe that 3rd Bass shit was over 20 years ago, feels like yesterday.

Goddddamn I'm old LOL. :bunk:

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I need to read this later, but didn't he and Serch insist on being interviewd in separate rooms? Like they couldn't stand each other at one point? Did he mention this?
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Versive

Post by Versive »

That was just such a crazy time. I mean, I had Jorge not wanting to get into the studio, and then I had Cage who we were trying to put a project together for. Me and Bobbito were basically getting him beats from everyone under the sun, like DJ Premier, and Cage was just like, ‘I don’t like these beats.’ Then when we finally did get him to do something, his lyrics are talking about how he wants to take out a Sony exec with a sawed-off shotgun (laughs).
:rofl:

I never realized he brought up Count Bass D too. That's crazy. Between Doom, Cage and Count, Pete Nice indirectly had a hand in much of the most popular "underground" rap of the '00s.