'Doe Or Die' vs 'Reasonable Doubt'

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Favorite? Doe Or Die or Reasonable Doubt?

Doe Or Die
48%
Reasonable Doubt
53%

Total votes: 40

step one

'Doe Or Die' vs 'Reasonable Doubt'

Post by step one »

2 debut albums that marked a change in the style of East Coast rap from the hardcore timberland grimey stuff (Wu Tang, Hit Squad, Biggie) to the more smoothed out soulful player shit

Features Nas on the dope 'Mo Money, Mo Murder...' and includes production by Pete Rock, LES, DR Period, Buckwild & NO Joe

Features Biggie, Sauce Money, Mary J, Foxy Brown, Memphis Bleek and The Jaz. Includes production by Ski, Irv Gotti, Premier, Clark Kent

Favourite/Best ?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

banister kronos

Re: 'Doe Or Die' vs 'Reasonable Doubt'

Post by banister kronos »

Doe Or Die! :bow:

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

banister kronos wrote:Doe Or Die! :bow:
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

RD

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

Do or Die!!

Versive

Post by Versive »

Doe or Die is dope, no doubt, but it's not touching Resonable Doubt.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Doe Or Die by a light year... In My Lifetime > RD, imho.

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

Doe or Die

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Not even close. Reasonable Doubt all day.

step one

Post by step one »

My main beef with RD is 'Aint No Nigga' . Aside from suffering from being overplayed at the time, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. Doesnt fit in with the rest of the album at all.
There's also the thing where I suspect people have got a bit fed up with Jay Z whereas AZ isnt anywhere near as ubiquitous which makes his music a bit more enjoyable.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

step one wrote:My main beef with RD is 'Aint No Nigga' . Aside from suffering from being overplayed at the time, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. Doesnt fit in with the rest of the album at all.
There's also the thing where I suspect people have got a bit fed up with Jay Z whereas AZ isnt anywhere near as ubiquitous which makes his music a bit more enjoyable.
Agreed.

dustyhands

Post by dustyhands »

Reasonable Doubt. RD is unquestionably jay z's best album and one of my favs for the year of 96. i loves "aint no nigga". epmd rhymed over the same track 8 years prior. nothing was wrong with them doing it, so nothing should have been wrong with jay z doing it.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

RD is maybe technically the better lp but I like / liked Doe or Die more. AZ has never really recorded an lp full of what his potential always was. Always has some odd choices on there, Doe or Die and Pieces of a Man probably suffer the least.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

bbatson1 wrote:Not even close. Reasonable Doubt all day.
I agree.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

bbatson1 wrote:Not even close. Reasonable Doubt all day.
i second that (and i think the majority of heads would too). There's a reason why ppl always hold RD in high regard...

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Doe Or Die. Not by a massive margin. Both very good if not great mcs, both albums have a few killer beats. But to me it seems like RD requires the listener to buy into Jay Z's persona more, whereas you can chill to Doe Or Die without feeling like you're being forced to empathize with AZ's life story and 'struggle'. and I prefer that.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

But to me it seems like RD requires the listener to buy into Jay Z's persona more, whereas you can chill to Doe Or Die without feeling like you're being forced to empathize with AZ's life story and 'struggle'. and I prefer that.
Yeah word. If you don't really dig the Jay-Z persona, or you've just gotten tired of it, then it's hard to appreciate the man's music. Dude always seems to throwing a party for himself, it gets old.

Az's a lot less showy, has a lot less swagger, and a lot more technical skill if you ask me. Less acting, more rapping.

As for what album is more of a "classic", and more important in the history of hip hop, RD without a (reasonable) doubt. As far as craft goes it's also probably the better album. But I still bump Doe or Die on occasion, and I never play RD....that has to mean something.

Verge

Post by Verge »

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

This is probably besides the point but Mo Money Mo Murder (Homicide), with the beat and the raps / delivery achieved that movie feel better than most tracks from that mafioso era, it had a definite vibe to it. The video couldn't really match the song unless they had a far higher budget.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

outside of 'rather unique' which is phenomenal doe or die is an average album at best

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

the production on doe or die was very underwhelming

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

RD for sure. If AZ would have made 1 or 2 better songs and had the original Your World Don't Stop instead of that bullshit version this discussion would be much different in my opinion. I loved the album but it was not as good as it should or could have been.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Doe Or Die by a nosehair
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

RD gets more play in my ride
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mud

Post by mud »

shadowmaster wrote:This is probably besides the point but Mo Money Mo Murder (Homicide), with the beat and the raps / delivery achieved that movie feel better than most tracks from that mafioso era, it had a definite vibe to it. The video couldn't really match the song unless they had a far higher budget.
Was never a huge fan of that. "The Essence" is still the best collabo by them, followed by "Serious"

No popular opinions, but way less controversial than this ridiculous thread title.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Reasonable Doubt and it's not even close.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Galvatron78 wrote:Reasonable Doubt and it's not even close.
Yeah, I just gave both a listen and I'm coming to see it that way. I seem to remember Doe or Die being a lot better than it was, really I think I was just thinking of Rather Unique, which is close to being a perfect song imo.

There's something to be said for Uncut Raw, although it sounds like it belongs on a different album altogether.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

mud wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:This is probably besides the point but Mo Money Mo Murder (Homicide), with the beat and the raps / delivery achieved that movie feel better than most tracks from that mafioso era, it had a definite vibe to it. The video couldn't really match the song unless they had a far higher budget.
Was never a huge fan of that. "The Essence" is still the best collabo by them, followed by "Serious"

No popular opinions, but way less controversial than this ridiculous thread title.
I never really liked 'The Essence', but I know I'm in the minority on that. I'd say 'Life's a Bitch' is still their best track together.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Reasonable Doubt has the lower lows but the higher highs.

Brooklyn's Finest is the worst piece of shit song that people pretend to be a classic.

step one

Post by step one »

Galvatron78 wrote:Reasonable Doubt and it's not even close.
current votes suggest otherwise
Doe Or Die 54% [ 14 ]
Reasonable Doubt 46% [ 12 ]
:lol: @ Thun getting grumpy about Brooklyns Finest. Track is dope. I actually bought RD on the strength of that (I already had the Dead Pres/Aint No 12")