New JAY DEE Box Set (40+ unreleased joints): "King Of Beats"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

New JAY DEE Box Set (40+ unreleased joints): "King Of Beats"

Post by claaa7 »

Jay Dee is by far one of my all time favorite producers (probably top three), but his posthumous catalouge has been very uneven. I loved "Jay Stay Paid" which had some fantastic music on it, and DJ Pete Rock did a great job with it, i don't count "The Shining" really since it was very close to being completed when he passed away. On the other hand "Dillatroit" really felt like a cash in, "Lost Tapes + Reels" was even worse and that last Yancey Boys album was pretty forgettable. (On a side note, I strongly recommend the live album version of "Suite For Ma Dukes", as well as the other Mochilla "Timeless" live album by Mulatu Astkatke).

However, similiar to the recent "SP1200 Project" by Lord Finesse, this new box set called "The King Of Beats" seems pretty damn official. Overseen by Ma Dukes, the box set includes four 10" vinyl records each (i believe) featuring ten instrumentals that've been mastered, engineered and mixed to sound up to date. Also included are a cassette tape featuring five previously unreleased Jay Dee vocal tracks, a floppy 3" disc featuring one Dilla instrumental and last a huge booklet with interviews with friends of the producer as well as music scholars.

"This project came about by a lot of soul searching and meditation as to what can I do now that my son has so many bootleg projects out by unknown artists without my approval," Yancey tells Rolling Stone. "Now that I'm out of mourning and full of insight and feeling my son's energy radiate around me, I wanted to do something different but iconic; Something that people would preserve and relish for a lifetime that spoke quality."

This sounds really interesting, and the one track that has been released so far, "Filth", (from the 'Cassette Tape') was premiered by Rolling Stones and is real funky, classic early JD.

"One of those tracks, "Filth," is available to hear below. "First take. I just wrote this shit," says Dilla, foreshadowing the track's spontaneous chaos. As Dilla flips James Brown grunts and grimy drum patterns, you can hear the producer/MC working out his rhymes and stifling laughter at his own lyrics. It's a raw look into the creative process of the producer and for Yancey, showcases Dilla's playful side.

"'Filth' is definitely a track that Dilla had fun with and his lyrics would put smiles on his fan's faces," says Yancey. "To hear him have fun doing his craft so well when he was healthy and not under any pressure is golden."

https://soundcloud.com/youngrj313/jay-dee-aka-j-dilla-filth
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Re: New JAY DEE Box Set (40+ unreleased joints): "King Of Be

Post by claaa7 »

it doesn't say in the Rolling Stones article that broke the news, but i believe i read elsewhere that the majority of these are early Jay Dee beats, like the '95-'99 period, SV, Ummah type of shit you know... which is cool, because unlike the batches that made up the majority of "Jay Stay Paid" the early mid-'90s Dilla beat tapes haven't circulated the net as much.

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^^ haha WOW didn't see that price there... no fucking way, but you can bet i'm gonna download it. i always buy Dilla's records, and even most of the posthumous stuff uptil now but this one is a straight download if they are charging that price. that's fucking exploiting to the max!!!

what i am really anticipating this year is finally release of "Pay Jay" MCA album, now known as "The Diary"... it's the last album we ever gonna hear with J Dilla in full control, and i listened the shit out of all the singles and the bootlegs and made my own 40 minutes compilation and it's a banger.. i actually always liked Dilla's rhyming.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

WiCkEd22 wrote:For $200?! NO THANKS!!
Where did you find the price? I couldn't see it on the site... Nice box, but I'll wait until the inevitable regular 2LP reissue.

Verge

Post by Verge »

I hear it's 207$ plus 45$ within the US!! Wtf. Overseas shipping $130!! Wtf. I didn't see the price myself either but that's what the word is and you know greed is usually quite a bitch with dead artist fam members.

I really kinda want this one but hard to justify. Was dilla known for the sp1200, I thought the bulk of his work was on the mpc3000 or mpc2000? Really want them beats but priorities yo. Also wonder how many, unless they're just gonna fish for preorders to determine.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Here's the link to the store (also some info about him using the sp1200 early in his career which I think is when these beats are from): http://jdillathekingofbeats.storenvy.co ... tors-editi

I can't justify the price either but I'm sure plenty of people will - I think you're right, they'll just take pre-orders and manufacture the quantities accordingly.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

yeah i believe Dilla used the SP1200 a lot on the earleir Slum Village stuff like "Fantastic 1" and "2", The Pharcyde, early Ummah, "Stakes is High", etc, etc, stuff.

i wouldn't shell out this much money on such a project, i think it's a bit of a shame for artists overcharging... especially thinking this was Jay Dee's "throwaway" material which he probably didn't even want the public to see (of course those beats are iller than most of what's produced today in 2014).

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

dilla might be the most overrated artist in any medium ever

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

clark bent wrote:dilla might be the most overrated artist in any medium ever

kartman

Post by kartman »

clark bent wrote:dilla might be the most overrated artist in any medium ever