Mapping Out the Stretch & Bobbito Show (with Tape Rips)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

serch4beatz

Re: Mapping Out the Stretch & Bobbito Show (with Tape Rips)

Post by serch4beatz »

afn3328 also posted here iirc

Verge

Post by Verge »

So there could conceivably be some rips we don't have yet. Thanks Abstrakt and afn3328

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

Your are welcome @Verge and others

Just let me know which episodes you are missing from the list I've posted. I will open my MEGA account so others can download them.

As for dates, please share any corrections I should make. I got the list from Stretch&Bobbito blogspot.

Cheers
The Abstrakt

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

Yo wasup,

Nobody seems to post here anymore.

Does anyone has the first couple episodes from 1990 and 1991?

thanks

ATMS

HecticEclectic

Post by HecticEclectic »

We're all waiting for Stretch to release his digitized collection to promote the documentary.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

For me personally, I'd sell members of my family to hear more from the first half a decade, but just hearin that recent CM Famalam with TheeMikeB was dope enough. In 2014, the SA Show and its derivatives are simply a fix. Not many Hip Hop & Rap heads give a shit about any kinda radio. Fools.

I just dont think the audience is out there as much as we'd like it to be either, an audience that were students, adolescents and young adults during the 90s, more often than not, do not have the time/ capacity/ desire to transfer hissy cassettes in 2014. Its only the 'dog with a toffee' fiends like us that give half a hoot ! Maybe things will change after the doc, who knows. Ye gotta remember as well though, to have the prescience to record EVERY show wouldve been miraculous. These guys were going to work, and the majority of radio DJs NEVER record any of their shows.

I think the majority of us are truly blessed with what weve taped, ripped and shared, and already have whats available out there because of PF, so for me, im thankful as it is, and any more that turn up is a major bonus. The older shows are obvs harder to come by, but im hearing that Stretch might not have as much as we'd like to imagine anyway. Im still holdin out for a hero cos the early work that Bobb put into the tracklisting couldve led to a fruitful archive....even though Stretch has made it clear that alotta concepts they had were 'short-lived' and that they 'didn't last long'.

The pics on their Instagram are great, and still comin.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Did this Tribe on Stretch appear on here ? If not, has anyone got this to hand for a share?

http://old-school-hiphop-tapes.blogspot ... tapes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

Yo guys I am currently updating my Strecht&Bobbito collection + other demo stuff:

In case you missed the links:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!V1dxCSpT!Zl_FyjtzOdHD0vboDB2j5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | 1-99
https://mega.co.nz/#F!1l1TQQYD!fYJWPierdZku2y-YcgdxqQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | 100-203
https://mega.co.nz/#F!B9MBnTaa!UzSlqWM-N2R6Uf4FLHdIlg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Demo + Freestyles

http://www.mixcloud.com/abstraktmusic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here I post rare stuff and also to keep this alive on the net for now. I use Mega+Mixcloud to backup my music cuz my internal harddrive recently crashed and I hate losing my music on my external drives.

PEACe

ATMS

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Thanks Abstrakt.

I see a few UNKNOWNs during 96, are any of those the Tribe Called Quest show ?

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

BTW. Does anyone have a recording of the show with Sporty Thievz ? March 98 ? Thanks in advance.

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

@IRISH_CRAIG

I found this ATCQ freestyle on S&B not sure that's the one you want. Still searching for that B-Side.

http://1drv.ms/1nkjaQ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Thanks dooks, im not sure either tbh. I just clocked that Dutch had shared a show but I didnt remember it. Or even seein it.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU BOBB ?" Jokes !!!

This is off HOT97 cos Tip announces the phone number [1-800 223 9797], and Consequence & Moany Love [No typo] are in there as well as Tip n Phife.

Funny set and its a tasty freestyle, and I HADNT heard it before, so thank you very very much. Would love to hear this full show, sounds like a right sketch [laugh].

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

Cool. See you are also in London like me. I will post some more demo shit that I recently found that are not on my Mega yet.

Peace

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

All good doggy. Any and all clips appreciated.

Jesse-velazquez

Post by Jesse-velazquez »

TheAbstrakt wrote:Yo guys I am currently updating my Strecht&Bobbito collection + other demo stuff:

In case you missed the links:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!V1dxCSpT!Zl_FyjtzOdHD0vboDB2j5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | 1-99
https://mega.co.nz/#F!1l1TQQYD!fYJWPierdZku2y-YcgdxqQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | 100-203
https://mega.co.nz/#F!B9MBnTaa!UzSlqWM-N2R6Uf4FLHdIlg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Demo + Freestyles

http://www.mixcloud.com/abstraktmusic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here I post rare stuff and also to keep this alive on the net for now. I use Mega+Mixcloud to backup my music cuz my internal harddrive recently crashed and I hate losing my music on my external drives.

PEACe

ATMS
Those externals can really mess you up. Had the same happen to me. Nice post. btw. Good looks on the Stretch and Bob shows.

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

What do you mean mess up? They not working? let me know cheers

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

He meant the external harddrives ;)

Jesse-velazquez

Yeah, my bad. External Hard drives. Best way to save things is to dvds.

TheAbstrakt

Post by TheAbstrakt »

lol sorry I forgot I wrote that about my HDD hehe...yeah DVDs will do soon but I got 1 TB of music :) for now MEGA is a life saver as I got 10 accounts. I lost a lot of my work unfortunately, but I backed the shit up of my Stretch & Bobbito stuff and other old school Hip Hop. Its good we can share so it is more available on the net.

Jesse-velazquez

TheAbstrakt wrote:lol sorry I forgot I wrote that about my HDD hehe...yeah DVDs will do soon but I got 1 TB of music :) for now MEGA is a life saver as I got 10 accounts. I lost a lot of my work unfortunately, but I backed the shit up of my Stretch & Bobbito stuff and other old school Hip Hop. Its good we can share so it is more available on the net.
I feel you on that. I've been catching up on a lot shows i missed out on since I had to move as a kid. Now radio is not as good.

dirtywaters

Post by dirtywaters »

Occasionally I'll get e-mails from people who read my blog who tell me they have a 'ton of tapes.' Mostly people just ask me advice on how to rip them. I offer trades, offer to rip them personally, and even offer paypal payments. In the last year I was going back and forth with at least 3 people who told me they had a crazy stash. There was even one dude who was a well known engineer that told me from 1991-1996 he was maybe missing only 10 dates or so. People gas me up and then I never hear from them again, and it's extremely frustrating. I don't know if people are skeptical to mail their collections to me (which I can understand), or they just want to keep it to themselves. maybe a combo of both.

I think all in all we've covered about 200+ shows, which is amazing in itself. But the 91-94 shows seem really difficult to come by. There were hundreds if not thousands of loyal weekly listeners, myself included. I'm really waiting for Stretch or someone to come out with more tapes. You can see people on SB instagram posting their tape collections or eluding to the fact they have 'a huge stash at their mom's house,' but you'll never see the rips anywhere. When this thread started up and people were coming out with their collections, shit was beautiful. I'm hoping someone else adds on again, and I'll say it again, anyone who SERIOUSLY needs help getting tapes ripped get at me. Hopefully the documentary coming out will have more people googling and finding this thread.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

. In the last year I was going back and forth with at least 3 people who told me they had a crazy stash. There was even one dude who was a well known engineer that told me from 1991-1996 he was maybe missing only 10 dates or so. People gas me up and then I never hear from them again, and it's extremely frustrating. I don't know if people are skeptical to mail their collections to me (which I can understand), or they just want to keep it to themselves. maybe a combo of both.
Awwww damn it...1991 to 1996 would have been super ill...SNB the best show ever...I highly doubt people saying Future Flavorz had better exclusives. Too bad the dude doesn't seem to live near you. Otherwise you could pick the tapes up or he could come through and see how you rip em.

pz

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Can anyone help with a pic of Side 1 of this tape please ?

As ye can see, I still have Side 2 pic on my old blog but Side 1 pic has died.

Any help appreciated.

http://hotasballs.wordpress.com/2010/09 ... -part-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Hadnt seen this before now, and its really interesting.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

i also really like his "cassette culture" articles
https://medium.com/cuepoint/cassette-cu ... a2cd0db5df" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

That's an inspiring interview with Stretch! I'm glad to see he and Bob have moved on musically though there is still good Hip Hop around, although the overall music isn't generating the same standard of classics as The Golden Era. I would hate to see them still attached to the '87 to '95 sound in 2014 and hating everything else that has come out after like some heads seem to do but they seem to have each found happiness in their own musical niche. I think it's always good to keep lovin' The Golden Era but expanding your musical palette can make you appreciate that sound and time even more.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

No doubt B. He had alotta positives to say about everything, safe guy.

BTW.

I tried tweaking/ remastering these 2 classic freestyles from 'The SP S&B Show', think I've managed to get em kindy punchy.

I like to improve sound quality, wherever possible.

https://soundcloud.com/randomrapradio/dj-stretch-armstrong-bobbito-2-nov-95-krs-lord-finesse-freestyle

https://soundcloud.com/randomrapradio/dj-stretch-armstrong-bobbito-2-nov-95-krs-lord-finesse-supernatural-freestyle

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

If you "remaster" an mp3 there will always be quality loss, since its a lossy format to begin with. If you rip a tape and remaster from the wav file and then encode to mp3 there will be also a bit of quality loss due to compression but not as significant as when going mp3 to mp3.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Im aware that the term 'remaster' and MP3 are almost a contradiction, but for me, if its not my own rip from my own tapes, on my own Nakamichi deck, its just about attempting to improve on whats already been shared, if and when possible. ANYthing that can be done to improve the sound of something coming from tape is better than nothin, IMO.

I think, like Nes, that more people might get involved with their own collections after the film drops, but only if theyre inspired to. And surely this very thread is ground zero for inspiration for S&B over the past few years. Worked on me!

Im just playin my role in possibly impressing the odd un-decided punter when they hear decent rips. Simple things like 'remastering' and choppin shows together into a full show allows an old listener to enjoy a show in the same way and for the new listener, it gives them the vibe and length and dynamic of the show, as well as the music and humour. If that influences someone to reach into that shoe-box or in the loft for ONE more unheard show, then im sweet.

What ye reckon then Serch, better or worse? I just wanted to reduce the hiss a touch, crank it a little and I think it bumps a bit more now, no? Thanks to yourself, of course. Was it your good self that ripped this originally? It was decent to start with anyway...

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

Hmm i have to check if i have that tape, not really sure if i ripped it.