Nas 'Time Is Illmatic' Documentary

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Debonair_P

Nas 'Time Is Illmatic' Documentary

Post by Debonair_P »

I saw this documentary on the making of Illmatic at the Film Festival over here on the weekend, has anyone else seen it yet?

I was prepared for the worst when it started off with vox pops from Swizz Beats and Pharell but it ended up being pretty good overall, the highlights being the archive footage and a few anecdotes that were new to me. Although they were able to get interviews with most of the people involved, some of them are unfortunately super brief (Premier appears for all of about 5 seconds.) Nas came across as a bit more personable than he usually does in interviews, although the filmmakers seemed to avoid subjects like how all his other albums were/are invariably compared negatively to Illmatic. All in all though, worth checking out.

http://www.timeisillmatic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Re: Nas 'Time Is Illmatic' Documentary

Post by Blockhead »

I saw it at the Tribeca Film festival a few months ago. It's one of those movies that anyone who interested in the topic is gonna be into it, regardless of it's actual quality. Jungle steals the show though...

Debonair_P

Re: Nas 'Time Is Illmatic' Documentary

Post by Debonair_P »

Yep, Jungle had a lot more on-screen charisma for sure. Strange that they didn't show anything of the videos for the singles come to think of it (instead of all the not-amazing concert footage).