Quasimoto, Madlib and Stones Throw

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

TheFroMan420

Re: Quasimoto, Madlib and Stones Throw

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote:Just found a copy of Dilla's Shining with the movie samples. If anyone wants a link, let me know.
I wouldn't mind a link to that promo. Thanks in advance!

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

really great thread this!
i just read it all through and got some comments, questions and stuff so bear with me please..

first of, i wonder if there is some truth to that Madlib / Stones Throw falling out. it kind of seems unlikely, but i believe that Madlib's latest two albums (the one with Freddie Gibbs and the "Rock Konducta" LPs) were released by Rappcats instead of Stones Throw.

where did that "The Ruckus" mix come from? never heard that before i think, fucking sick!!!! thx!

i recently read Jordan Ferguson's book on "Donuts" (good read), and while i have borrowed it out to a friend at the moment, i remember Jeff Jank saying that they were all blown away by this beat tape called "Donuts". At the time when Dilla was real sick and couldn't eat all the foods he used to love he would name his beat tapes after fast food and stuff, so that's where "Pizza Man" and "Donuts" comes from... anyway they were so in love with this one tape that was called "Donuts" that they wanted to put it out right as it was as an album, while still giving Dilla the freedom to shop the beats to other artists (a rare deal, which allowed him to give three beats to Ghostface, "Workinonit" to The Roots, etc.). they said that the only problem was that it was too short to make up a full album, being around 25 minutes. i don't remember if he said that Dilla made some additional beats for it or if they took a few other tracks from a different beat tape and mashed it together.

a serious thank you to Frogman for the upload of the original tape, everything about it fits the description from the "Donuts" book as described above.. it's pretty much untouched except for a few additional songs - like "Workinonit" which alone added a good 3 minutes to the tape. i like how the "Donuts" intro/outro appears as an interlude here on track 9, would've actually liked this to be kept on the LP. one thing I remember very well from the Ferguson book though is a detailed description of a different version of "STOP", which is one of my all time favorites, but i have never been able to find it. would so love to hear that one!!

the "The Shining" version with samples from the movie is an interesting listen, especially bc how much i love that film and Kubrick/Dilla is such a cool mix. i wonder if this was actually intended to appear on the album but had to be cut out bc they couldn't clear it, i know the Kubrick estate is extremely protective of his legacy. "The Shining" is a great album anyways, i've been very interested to know how much of it was completed when Dilla passed, as in had he decided all the tracks that was to be on there and in what sequence, etc. i know that Karriem Riggins stated that it was 75% completed when Dilla passed away, but that can mean a lot of things. I've read an interview with Pharoahe Monch where he said that he had gotten the beat from Dilla and had sent it back with the vocals and Dilla gave a very positive response. however, while the album is quite short at 35 minutes and 12 songs i've always felt that one track that could have fitted very well and carries much of the same sound is the song Dilla did with Blu called "Sun in My Face" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VJO15LAJQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - what you think?

one last thing, and that is a request that would make me so happy. does anyone here have the original version of "Champion Sound" with the original versions of "The Red" and "No Games", and if so would you please rip those two songs in a lossless format such as .WAV or .FLAC so that I can burn a copy of the album as Dilla and 'Lib originally intendended it to be heard. i have the Deluxe 2xCD version where the beats for those two tracks are replaced. many, many, many thanks in advance for anyone who could do that.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

FroMan, I'll be sending you a link shortly. claaa7, I've got the original US and UK versions of Champion Sound with the unlisted bonus tracks. I'll upload one of them and send you a link. Until then...

Here is a list of all the advance promos I found as well as the other stuff I've got.

Aesop Rock - Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives (Promo where Aesop announces it's a promo. Also has his mom asking you not to bootleg it!)

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass (Watermarked promo where someone's name is mentioned in each track, just like the El-P promo.)

Cage - Hell's Winter (Promo with weird voice announcing it's a promo.)

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (Weird leak about a week before the album came out with the deleted Sam Jackson interlude from Pulp Fiction that got deleted off the final album. Don't think it's different otherwise.)

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (The infamous watermarked promo given to Matthew Snider with his name mentioned in every song.)

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark (Not hip-hop, but it's an advance like the rest of these with an announcement telling you the album is coming soon. The announcer voice is a really difficult to understand computer.)

J Dilla - Donuts (The Stones Throw advance promo, which is the full, finished album, but with a computerized announcer occasionally mentioning the album's name, etc.)

J Dilla - Jay Love Japan (The bootleg version with all the unofficial tracks.)

J Dilla - The Shining (Advance with all the Shining movie samples. Those samples weren't meant to be on the final album, and the sleeve of the promo actually mentions this. Still, it's a very cool listen.)

Madvillain - Madvillainy (The Retarded Hard Copy advance promo. The computerized voice actually stops the whole track whenever it comes on, which is annoying as hell.)

Quasimoto - The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas (Advance Promo with an announcer mentioning the album's name on each track, as well as Seasons Change which was deleted from the album at the last minute.)

Chrome Children (Advance promo with a computerized voice that says CHROME appearing throughout.)

Vast Aire - Look Mom... No Hands (Advance promo with an announcer mentioning the album and it's release date throughout.)

I also found an extended version of Madvillain's Curls, though I don't know if it's legit or not. Where the regular track ends, the beat continues with more music from the original, sampled track.

I can send links for these along with the stuff I already mentioned having like the Jaylib demos, the Jaylib Rough Drafts, the Madvillainy Preview, etc. Drop me a line if you'd like me to send you any of these.

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote: J Dilla - The Shining (Advance with all the Shining movie samples. Those samples weren't meant to be on the final album, and the sleeve of the promo actually mentions this. Still, it's a very cool listen.)

Chrome Children (Advance promo with a computerized voice that says CHROME appearing throughout.)

I also found an extended version of Madvillain's Curls, though I don't know if it's legit or not. Where the regular track ends, the beat continues with more music from the original, sampled track.
I wouldn't mind a link to these. I'm really interested in that extended version of Curls! Again, thanks for these!

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

claaa7 wrote: a serious thank you to Frogman for the upload of the original tape, everything about it fits the description from the "Donuts" book as described above.. it's pretty much untouched except for a few additional songs - like "Workinonit" which alone added a good 3 minutes to the tape. i like how the "Donuts" intro/outro appears as an interlude here on track 9, would've actually liked this to be kept on the LP. one thing I remember very well from the Ferguson book though is a detailed description of a different version of "STOP", which is one of my all time favorites, but i have never been able to find it. would so love to hear that one!!
No problem! You gotta share the wealth, especially if it's something that has been forgotten! I've been intrigued about this version of "Stop!" that's mentioned in this book. I would like to hear this version too!

On a side note, I appreciate your blog and you make really good compilations (Mekolicious, OG Bulletproof Wallets, etc.). Keep doing what you do!

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

Hey FroMan, did you get my PM with The Shining? As for Chrome and Curls, I'll send you links for those in a few minutes.

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

unheard78 wrote:Hey FroMan, did you get my PM with The Shining? As for Chrome and Curls, I'll send you links for those in a few minutes.
I got those links unheard! Thanks again!

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

I would love a link to if if anyone has them

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

TheFroMan420 wrote:
claaa7 wrote: a serious thank you to Frogman for the upload of the original tape, everything about it fits the description from the "Donuts" book as described above.. it's pretty much untouched except for a few additional songs - like "Workinonit" which alone added a good 3 minutes to the tape. i like how the "Donuts" intro/outro appears as an interlude here on track 9, would've actually liked this to be kept on the LP. one thing I remember very well from the Ferguson book though is a detailed description of a different version of "STOP", which is one of my all time favorites, but i have never been able to find it. would so love to hear that one!!
No problem! You gotta share the wealth, especially if it's something that has been forgotten! I've been intrigued about this version of "Stop!" that's mentioned in this book. I would like to hear this version too!

On a side note, I appreciate your blog and you make really good compilations (Mekolicious, OG Bulletproof Wallets, etc.). Keep doing what you do!
thank you man!

how did you like the book overall btw?
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

TheFroMan420

Post by TheFroMan420 »

claaa7 wrote: thank you man!

how did you like the book overall btw?
No problem!

I didn't read the full book, I only read the preview that was posted on Stones Throw. That's how I knew about the original version of Donuts. I'd imagine its a good book.

ian e

Post by ian e »

Does that 'Ruckus' version come from the Chrome mix CD that came as a bonus with the Chrome Children compilation?

Iirc the song got taken off Champion Sound cause Madlib sold the beat to Busta, who never did anything with it. A real shame.

That mix also has a fantastic Madlib remix of Madvillain's Meat Grinder on there. In good old ST fashion PBW never played the full songs on this mix. Bastard. :lol:

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

ian e wrote:Does that 'Ruckus' version come from the Chrome mix CD that came as a bonus with the Chrome Children compilation?

Iirc the song got taken off Champion Sound cause Madlib sold the beat to Busta, who never did anything with it. A real shame.

That mix also has a fantastic Madlib remix of Madvillain's Meat Grinder on there. In good old ST fashion PBW never played the full songs on this mix. Bastard. :lol:
Yeah, that's where the Ruckus version comes from, though I thought it was the Zombie B-Ball mix. I edited out the rewind, but otherwise it's the same.

I always get mad when DJs don't play the full track, but I'm used to it. I can't mix very well, so when I make mixes I never bother trying to beatmatch or whatever. I'd rather hear the full tracks, even in a mix for dancing.