Hard Drive Stolen

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

JankZ

Re: Hard Drive Stolen

Post by JankZ »

Norwegian wrote:I have about 1100 GB of music, over 160 000 songs. I just bought a 2TB laptop, and have two external hard drives of 3TB each. I keep one external in my house, and one at my moms house. That way, I feel as safe as I can with my collection. With the amount of time (and money) I've spent over the years, losing my collection would be a giant tragedy!

EDIT: Does anyone have an idiots guide on how to put a list of your collection in word or pdf? I have everything in folders, with each artist having it's own folder, and everything put into itunes with cover art, with proper tags. Having a list of it would be great, and would be easy to share with people!
there should be some programs that print folder names to txt file. Just ''google'' for em.
Ive got tiny program called ''Print Folders''..
u should dl that prog, then get that txt file doc, and when folder names are copied to .txt, click SELECT ALL, and then copy all em folder names from txt to excel file, that should be more comfortable than having a big collection printed into txt

r233

Post by r233 »

JankZ wrote:
Norwegian wrote:I have about 1100 GB of music, over 160 000 songs. I just bought a 2TB laptop, and have two external hard drives of 3TB each. I keep one external in my house, and one at my moms house. That way, I feel as safe as I can with my collection. With the amount of time (and money) I've spent over the years, losing my collection would be a giant tragedy!

EDIT: Does anyone have an idiots guide on how to put a list of your collection in word or pdf? I have everything in folders, with each artist having it's own folder, and everything put into itunes with cover art, with proper tags. Having a list of it would be great, and would be easy to share with people!
there should be some programs that print folder names to txt file. Just ''google'' for em.
u should dl that prog, then get that txt file doc, and when folder names are copied to .txt, click SELECT ALL, and then copy all em folder names from txt to excel file, that should be more comfortable than having a big collection printed into txt

No need for any programs.

ITunes is perfect for this.

File-> Print-> Select "Album list"-> Select "Songs by album"-> Print->Click "PDF" down left corner, select "Save as PDF"
What if 87 never happened?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

That will take a while for 1.1 TB of music. Add in the album art and you've got a huge ass pdf on your hands. I'd personally nix the art and just do a html or text list. Much more easier to search for something in a html file (Ctrl + F) .. but that's just me.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Post by Dan »

r233 wrote:
JankZ wrote:there should be some programs that print folder names to txt file. Just ''google'' for em.
No need for any programs.

ITunes is perfect for this.

File-> Print-> Select "Album list"-> Select "Songs by album"-> Print->Click "PDF" down left corner, select "Save as PDF"
Just tested this out. I didn't have the option to save as .pdf. My only choice was .xps.

Here's my collection, http://www.mediafire.com/?b9kz58vczqfcicd

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

http://www.novatone.net/Downloads/ListMaker1x.exe

easy/fast to use, generates a list in txt format. if you got an ftp client like ws ftp/flashfxp or anything else, i believe it'll have a feature that should generate a text file of all folders/files in whatever directory you select so that it another route you can go without having to install anything.

nice_dreamz

Post by nice_dreamz »

I wish I could be of help but I'm new to collecting the Old-School hip-hop (a style of music introduced to me by my friend who is a rabid fan of this type of music with an obsessive CD collection lol) and only been getting digital files for about a year or so now and don't have as many (and good quality rips) because of MegaUpload being cancelled and most links for good rare stuff were hosted there. However, I would like to add that I have always backed up my downloads because I spend a lot of personal time scouring links on Google to get the music in the first place and I know how quickly links can disappear from the 'net and hard drives get viruses or fail and I hate to lose files so I periodically burn my files to DVD-R discs to have back-ups of everything. Every time 4 gigs of stuff accumulates just put it on a disc or you can also image your whole hard drive if that would fit on a disc. I'm not as tech savvy so I just stick with burning files to DVD-R and don't do images myself.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

ChaMerZ wrote:That will take a while for 1.1 TB of music. Add in the album art and you've got a huge ass pdf on your hands. I'd personally nix the art and just do a html or text list. Much more easier to search for something in a html file (Ctrl + F) .. but that's just me.
You weren't kidding!

I'll try to make a more search friendly list, but in the meantime, here's my stuff:
https://rapidshare.com/files/4189487583 ... ection.pdf

If anyone wants me to upload something, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I also have a huge collection of unsorted/untagged music, about 2500 albums I think. Working on it as we speak.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Sooooooo....after two years of building my collection again, someone broke into my apartment and stole my external hard drive among other things. FUCK!!!!!! Once again I have nothing! Time to start building again...any suggestions? Places where files are floating around?
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Dan

Post by Dan »

After 2 years you should have learned by now to have at least 2 backups in case something happened. I keep a backup in my bedroom closet and another backup at my parents house. Plus, I have some things backed up in my Google Drive.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Yeah I know, I know. I will definitely be backing shit up from now on.

Still, any suggestions or links for getting my collection going again would be appreciated. Thanks.

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

I was in a similar situation myself about two years ago actually, I used SoulSeek to reclaim probably 95% percent of my collection.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

+1 for Soulseek

Typically if I can't find anything anywhere else, I look for it on Soulseek. The only negative w/ Soulseek is it is sometimes slow as sh!t.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Thanks guys, I've been having good luck with Soulseek. Can I get some people's usernames? Mine is night_shade.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

hey night_shade, i don't really be on there like that. i'm the definition of a parasite. i simply download what i need and bounce.

if bandwidth wasn't such an issue in my current household i'd share everything with you though. i have a modest collection though (prob ~ 150 GBs)