Obscure/Semi-Obscure LPs 1991-1995

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Obscure/Semi-Obscure LPs 1991-1995

Post by KRS-THUN ATTACK! »

Let's start a checklist, a kind of master list of the joints we discuss every now and then, as an information resource.
This can also be a thread where we have some productive discussion about the availability of these CDs and their relative quality.
I'll start:

Godfather Don "Hazardous" 1992 -- haven't actually heard this but it's freakin' rare.

Roughouse Survivers "Straight From the Soul" 1992--- lots of bangers, a few Pete Rock beats and guest verses from CL SMooth and Sadat X.

Future Sound "Da Whole Shabang, Vol. 1" 1992--- Damon Dash's boys, sound like a faster-rapping De La, very creative use of sampling on this record.

Hard Knocks "School of Hard Knocks" 1992 ---you MIGHT remember "A Dirty Cop Named Harry," Bronx Duo on Wild Pitch records, some very very good cuts hear both lyric and beatwise, especially "Blow to the Head" and "Thoughts of a Negro."

Da King & I "Contemporary Jeep Music" 1993 --- you might remember "Crak Da Weasal" or "Tearz", one of the better obscure albums from a lyrica/stylistic standpoint.

Rumpletilskinz "What's a Rumpletilskin?" 1993--- LONS affiliates, with a harder edge, think a 5% version of Onyx. Heavy use of keyboards on the beats but somehow its rugged and rough. Also, they dis G-Funk and challenge the KKK to come to their exact home addresses. And they even have a love song that doesn't suck.

Hard To Obtain "Ism and Blues" 1994 --- produced by the sd50s, guest appearance by Artifacts, hit single was "LI Groove"

Down South "Lost In Brooklyn" 1994--- Bobbito-affiliated, Shawn J. Period is member of group, also production by T-Ray, Beatnuts, etc.

Shadz of Lingo "A View To A Kill" 1994--- Some great Diamond D. beats on this album.

Volume 10 "Hip-Hopera" 1994--- Amazing, almost like a West Coast ODB, the big hit was "Pistol Grip Pump" but the harder joints on this album are worth checking for.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Milk "Never Dated" 1994 -- This EP came out on Rick Rubin's label "American" with the help of Ad Rock. "Get Off My Log" would be the best known selection.

YG'z "Street Nigga" 1993 -- Another EP that came and went. You may remember their Source ads throughout the summer of '93. They appeared on "Death Becomes You" with Pete Rock & CL Smooth. Pete Rock also produced 4 of the 6 tracks off the EP.

Blood of Abraham "Future Profits" 1993 - These "Jews" got down with this "Nigga" named Eazy-E and together gave us the controversal "Niggaz and Jews (Some Say Kikes)." Although, they are best known for the melodic "Stabbed By The Steeple" that featured a very young Will.I.A.M of the BEP (then A.T.A.B.A.N. Klan). The majority of the album was produced by EPIC, who is best known for his the pop hit a few years back, 'come come my lady, you're my butter fly, suger baby...'A really dope album nonetheless.

Tim Dog "Do Or Die" 1993 -- Featured KRS 1 on the hit "I Get Wrecked,' and Smooth B on "SkipTo My Loot." Production by Ray Roll, MoGallegos, Tony Touch and Ultraganetic's TR Love & Moe Love. A very simple album that deserves to be apart of any obsecure collection.

DFC "Things In Tha Hood" 1994 -- MC Breed put 'em on and with this debut album, they helped put mid-west (Flint/Michigan) hip-hop on. "Caps Get Peeled" with MC Eiht is the most notable hit. Great album!

Funkdoobiest "Which Doobie U B?" 1993 -- Although it's not slept on, it's definitely obsecure. With hits like "The Funkiest," "Freak Mode," "Wopbabalubop," and "Bow Wow Wow," hip-hop fun was in full effect in '93.

Money Gripp

Re: Obscure/Semi-Obscure LPs 1991-1995

Post by Money Gripp »

KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:Godfather Don "Hazardous" 1992 -- haven't actually heard this but it's freakin' rare.
I found this and downloaded it off soulseek the other day. Haven't listened to it yet, but if you'd be interested in getting it, hit me up on AIM: jmpiork.

BTW - This is a GREAT idea, KRS.

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

Post by Sebastian gets busy »

Money Gripp wrote:This is a GREAT idea, KRS.
yup

capital tax - the swoll package

not really worth buying, there is a kind of funny song about penises though, I cant remember how exactly the song talks about the penis, but it was pretty funny, in a non ayo way. I think there is a good redman appearance on here. if you cant tell, I havnt listened to this album since the first time I found it at a used record shop.

trendz of culture - trendz - dope album from a time when just about everything was dope. its not stellar, but I still play velley of the skinz and a few other songs from the album.

yaggfu front - action packed adventure - dope, fun album. I recommend tracking this down.

world renown - world renown. I dont think anyone owns this album, but I bet its pretty dope.

brothers uv da blackmarket - highly skipable, in my opinion.

ram squad - operation lock the city. this album is pretty good, they are from philly I think, and their later material is pretty shitty.

umcs - fruits of nature - this album is a borderline classic, great production, a gay cover, and good emceeing. you may remember this album cover from the intro of the hit show "martin"

main source - fuck what you think - this album is worth hearing. The production is quite good, and the emceeing is some gritty/corny 94 new york shit. (heh)

willie d/ willie dee - going out like a soldier... this is probably the best willie d solo, Im only saying this because it is the only one I can find without paying 50 bucks on ebay.

da oddsquad - fadanuff fa erybody (probably spelling it wrong) devin the dudes old group - supremely dope cd, great production. Someone on undergroundhiphop.co said this was scarface's favorite rap a lot release. I think that is pretty cool and I make a point to tell this to everyone I play this album for.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Money Gripp wrote:
KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:Godfather Don "Hazardous" 1992 -- haven't actually heard this but it's freakin' rare.
I found this and downloaded it off soulseek the other day. Haven't listened to it yet, but if you'd be interested in getting it, hit me up on AIM: jmpiork.

BTW - This is a GREAT idea, KRS.
errr, it was my idea that I told Reg to impliment. Me want credit too!

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

I had this idea many times too.

I also had the idea of forming an internet messageboard revolution and sending thousands of letters to trigger the gambler and def jam to get his LP released. (and similar strategies to get wascalz, ultramagnetic bootlegs, and world renown albums pressed up)

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Flatlinerz - U.S.A. (Under Satan's Authority)
Had a few good Rockwilder joints and that cat Redrum was nice with his. Gravedigga was fucking terrible though.

And of course, there's the Nonce's World Ultimate.

How is the Bushwackass' How Real Isreal? I've heard good things about it and can't find a used/electronic copy of it anywhere.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

I have "Hazardous" on vinyl and i love it, "Black Time" and the title track are my favorites i also like "On and On" with the Chuck D Hook

The Legion "Theme + Echo= Krill
This shit was seriously on some hard as -don't-give-a-fuck-over boom bap production. The group member Big Man Molecules always put a smile on face with his rhymes convincing you he could knock you out repeatedly.

Dru Down "Explicit Game"

Wonderful Bay-Area album that came out, and this is prett much the first appearance of the Luniz. "Rescue 911" was truly one of the greatest achievements at story-telling as Dru and Yukmouth go back and forth and tell about him getting kidnapped.

Meen Green "The Smoking Section"

Another Left-coast goodie, this shit was wonderful to me. I still need to find the shit he did back in fuckin' 94' called "Rollin' Dank" on this album you couldn't go wrong with Vooodu's production and Green's simple but to the point delivery, to me the best shit on there is "The Last Song" and "Break It Down" with his Ras Kass diss "Livin' in a land where ya enemy could be your homie/ that's why we kicked one nigga out the crew like Tribe did to Jarobi"

I'll be back with some more..............time to hit the crates....BTW good thread KRS.

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

I know its 1997 - but danja mowf - word of mowf/mowf of madness

is also worth mentioning, the beats and rhymes are SICK. unfortunately its super super rare. you will have to download it probably.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Because of this thread I now have 25.00 less in the bank...

I half.com'd these 4 cd's I'v been missing.

Lead Pipe Grand Daddy I.U. (CD, 1994)
Straight From The Soul Rough House Survivers (CD, 1992)
Lost In Brooklyn Down South (CD, 1994)
Heavy Rhyme Experience: Vol. 1 [PA] Brand New Heavies (The) (CD, 2001)

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

YZ - Ghettos Been Good to Me... ive been diggin in my collection lately trying to find it... the only songs i remember off hand is Return of the Holy One & Acid Rain which i always loved ( i think i remember these cuz they were on a 12" together)... i remember liking the LP alot when i got it... anyone got an opinion on it?

W.I.S.E. Guys - i think Ill (of Ill and Al Scratch fame) was a part of this group (pre-ill & al scratch)... again ive been digging in my crates trying to find the LP to see if i still like it

King Sun - XL was always a dope album to me as well that i never seen mentioned

are we limiting this to albums or does it extend to singles as well? cuz there are a billion and one singles out there that are rare with hard to track down b-sides, etc

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

YZ - Ghettos Been Good to Me... ive been diggin in my collection lately trying to find it... the only songs i remember off hand is Return of the Holy One & Acid Rain which i always loved ( i think i remember these cuz they were on a 12" together)... i remember liking the LP alot when i got it... anyone got an opinion on it?
heh, i just made a thread about this shit 2 weeks ago and it sunk like a fuckin' rock in the river. I got lucky and copped that shit again from a pawns shop, lately I've been bumpin' the hell outta it. I didn't know that was 8-off the Assassin on "Acid Rain" doing the hook.

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

Thats was kinda dope, and really overlooked.

And this was HIGHLY slept on, I didnt even know it was released until a couple years ago.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Has anyone heard or know where I can find any of Powerule's albums?
How about Vooodu's Dark Regions?
The material that Nine put out before Nine Livez?

I'd like to hear this shit.
peace,

PS- Did anyone mention Yall So Stupid?

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

I got that Vooodo "Dark Regions" album for free by asking him a question in a really old AOL chat interview haha! I don't know where'd you'd be able to get a copy though, try ebay. Its a dope album, kinda short, but its got some bangin trax on it.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Yeah, great thread. Can't really think of anymore to add...

Not exactly obscure but hard to find -

Kurious - A Constipated Monkey

Nine - Nine Livez

Maestro Fresh Wes - Naaah, This Kid Can't Be From Canada

'Hazardous' is very good by the way.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

We're just keepin it to LP's. There already is an obsecure song list (I think on page 2).

Sebastian gets busy
1/2 Ghey Encino Man

speaking of grandaddy I.U - smooth assassin... good album. hard as hell to find. I found a copy on ebay and it is scratched the fuck up.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Sebastian gets busy wrote:speaking of grandaddy I.U - smooth assassin... good album. hard as hell to find. I found a copy on ebay and it is scratched the fuck up.
I have it. Do you need a copy?

And Phila, those are LPs...?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ cd's i purchased on half.com

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:Hard Knocks "School of Hard Knocks" 1992 ---you MIGHT remember "A Dirty Cop Named Harry," Bronx Duo on Wild Pitch records, some very very good cuts hear both lyric and beatwise, especially "Blow to the Head" and "Thoughts of a Negro."
I can't cosign this. When was the last time you heard it? A friend of the family got this off of Ebay or something and he was bumping it in the car and I totally remember how brutal it was. It has some really ridiculously hot samples, but the guy's flow is so stilted and awkward, it's basically budget Gangstarr.

David

Post by David »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:And Phila, those are LPs...?
I think he was referring to this:
Cryptic One wrote:are we limiting this to albums or does it extend to singles as well? cuz there are a billion and one singles out there that are rare with hard to track down b-sides, etc

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

just remembered another one

Positive K - Skills Dat Pay Da Bills

this album had some serious heat, and never gets mentioned... a little silly in parts... but overall a solid album that usually gets overlooked

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Yeah, great thread. Can't really think of anymore to add...

Maestro Fresh Wes - Naaah, This Kid Can't Be From Canada
I got this on e-bay for $3 three weeks ago after I heard "Certs Wit Out Da Retsyn".. Very solid album..

I saw World Reknown on this list.. Not only do I not know anyone who owns this album... I don't know a single song of their's other than the one that had the Phife sample "Here's a funky introduction of how nice I am"..
Can anyone verify that the full length album even exists?

Can anyone tell me why I'm a moron and have most of these albums on tape? (I thought I was such a hot shot saving $4 at The Wiz buying them on cassette).

I saw Blood of Abraham get some love..If you can, cop their follow up Eyedollartree.. It's hot..Help from Will I Am on this when he was somewhat cool..

Lastly, and this is for me.. I saw an interview with Mr.Voodoo from Natural Elements where he said the shelved NE Tommy Boy album does exist.. Does anyone have this?

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Cryptic One wrote:just remembered another one

Positive K - Skills Dat Pay Da Bills

this album had some serious heat, and never gets mentioned... a little silly in parts... but overall a solid album that usually gets overlooked
I agree, this album is worth copping at ued bin prices. I think the only problem with it is that nothing on it comes close to realizing Pos K.'s potential as an artist...the 12" singles he had out in the years before this were amazingly dope...

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

The Iron Sheik wrote:
KRS-THUN ATTACK! wrote:Hard Knocks "School of Hard Knocks" 1992 ---you MIGHT remember "A Dirty Cop Named Harry," Bronx Duo on Wild Pitch records, some very very good cuts hear both lyric and beatwise, especially "Blow to the Head" and "Thoughts of a Negro."
I can't cosign this. When was the last time you heard it? A friend of the family got this off of Ebay or something and he was bumping it in the car and I totally remember how brutal it was. It has some really ridiculously hot samples, but the guy's flow is so stilted and awkward, it's basically budget Gangstarr.
I've listened to it recently. The flow is not expert, but it's not nearly as amateurish as you suggest, and the voice is dope. Budget Gangstarr? That makes it better than most shit out now, so I'd say it was worth the four bucks I paid.

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Sebastian gets busy wrote:I know its 1997 - but danja mowf - word of mowf/mowf of madness

is also worth mentioning, the beats and rhymes are SICK. unfortunately its super super rare. you will have to download it probably.
This was re-released by Fat Beats a few years back...

David

Post by David »

How rare is the UMC's?

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

Jayou Ayen wrote:Has anyone heard or know where I can find any of Powerule's albums?
How about Vooodu's Dark Regions?
The material that Nine put out before Nine Livez?

I'd like to hear this shit.
peace,

PS- Did anyone mention Yall So Stupid?
I have the only full-length that I know Power Rule put out, called Volume 1. I don't think it's that great, though the good folks at spinemagazine.com like it. Still there are cuts featuring Kurious, LONS, and Large Professor.

here's the half.com link, it goes for relatively cheap: http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?c ... ta_id=null

My friend has the "Dark Regions" LP...honestly it's not that great to me. It's cool, and nothing is particularly "wack" but it doesn't seem essential unless you are fanatic about buying these kinds of CDs.

Well, why don't we mention Ya'll So Stupid

Y'all So Stupid "Van Full Of Pakistans" ... out of ATL, a pretty decent crew with some decent beats and decent lyrics. This is a "fun" album, kind of Pharcyde-ish perhaps. Worth copping used, but nothing to write home about. The title track is pretty cool.

KRS-THUN ATTACK!

David wrote:How rare is the UMC's?
It's getting there...it's now on half.com for $22. So it's not exactly PRT's debut, but I copped it maybe 3 years ago for about 4 bucks.