Buhloone Mindstate vs. The Four Horsemen

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

charlie sheen's microwave

Buhloone Mindstate vs. The Four Horsemen

Post by charlie sheen's microwave »

Two albums that were interchangeably in my tape deck at any given time in the nine-trey. Tough call for me, De La is the instinctive pick, 'cause of the warmer moments like "Breakadawn" and "I am I Be" on that record...however, The 4 Horsemen came with rawest, underground shit of the day with tracks like "Man on The Street" and "Raise it Up" Tough one, YOU MAKE THE CALL!

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

"I Am, I Be" > Anything on The 4 Horsemen Project.

I hope this post is a joke.

PEACE

SacmenFeg

Post by SacmenFeg »

peanut butter wrote:"I Am, I Be" > Anything on The 4 Horsemen Project.

PEACE
I think you are confused.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Easily BMS

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

four horsemen easily for me

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

They might blow up but they won't go POP.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Call me crazy, but Four Horsemen. I liked the De La joint at the time but haven't played it in a very long time.

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Call me crazy, but Four Horsemen. I liked the De La joint at the time but haven't played it in a very long time.
Nice remix on the Sig Y@k

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

i like de la soul overall much better career wise

but 4 horsemen i liked better then Buhloon

kafka's toilet paper

Post by kafka's toilet paper »

these are both personal classics for me. i'd say four horsemen takes it, but it's really too close to call. strangely, i think the two records are flawed in similar ways, but i have no idea what i really mean beyond that.
The Universe, And Other Fictions

PEACE
I wholeheartedly disagree with you, although I'm only 15 and I live inside of some anti-dickface, interstellar vaccuum. so what the fuck would i know about some good hip-hop right?

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

oh yeah im also assuming here that we are talking about

not the group 4 Horsemen with canibus, kurupt, ras kass and killah priest

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

^^^
i think that goes wthout saying. :lol:

easily de la soul.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

charlie sheen's microwave wrote:

PEACE
I wholeheartedly disagree with you, although I'm only 15 and I live inside of some anti-dickface, interstellar vaccuum. so what the fuck would i know about some good hip-hop right?
You're 16 - WHY LIE. I KEEL YOU MAAAAAAAN.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

ackbar wrote:^^^

easily de la soul.
just checking

you never know with the internets these days

SacmenFeg

Post by SacmenFeg »

ackbar wrote:^^^

easily de la soul.
You'd think so, but it seems to be what peanut butter thought.

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
charlie sheen's microwave wrote:

PEACE
You're 16 - WHY LIE. I KEEL YOU MAAAAAAAN.
I'm goin' over everything they got, forEVAH!

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

ultra mag was way ahead of their and even though i dont like de la too much buhloone mindstate was a great album. its just not touchin 4 horsemen tho

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

an album that you pull out once every 6-7 years cause you forget how dope it is vs a classic album that gets as much run today as when it dropped

both are real dope but come on now

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

clark bent wrote:an album that you pull out once every 6-7 years cause you forget how dope it is vs a classic album that gets as much run today as when it dropped

both are real dope but come on now
which one are you talking about?

because i have played 4 horsemen a whole lot more then buhloon. over the years...

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

great comparison thread

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Don't see how this could be much of an argument when you have Ced Gee sucking it up on every track on The Four Horsemen.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Combo7 wrote:Don't see how this could be much of an argument when you have Ced Gee sucking it up on every track on The Four Horsemen.
Ced wasn't on every track remember that. Also, he wasn't nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. But it's really no difference than :ugod: on :wutang: tracks. There is so much good you gotta overlook the one bad sometimes. Plus, you're talking about an album that had one of the greatest tracks of all-time (Raise It Up).
Last edited by Philaflava on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

Combo7 wrote:Don't see how this could be much of an argument when you have Ced Gee sucking it up on every track on The Four Horsemen.
untrue.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Philaflava wrote:
Ced wasn't on every track remember that. Also, he wasn't nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. But it's really no difference than :ugod: on :wutang: tracks. There is so much good you gotta overlook the one bad sometimes. Plus, you're talking about an album that had one of the greatest tracks of all-time (Raise It Up).

He was on almost all of them and I really think he's bad enough to ruin the whole album. I thought he was fine on Critical Beatdown but by the time the third album dropped he was worse than Mindbender. I think I'd rather listen to Vanilla Ice's debut than The Four Horsemen.

Somebody needs to do to that album what was done with The Score and edit out the wack rapper.

trickykid

Post by trickykid »

Buhloone easily. It's one if not the most underated hip hop album ever. I love that organic sound they created for that album.

Four Hoursemen is a great solid album, but not a masterpiece in any way. It's no critical beatdown.

I might be wrong I feel hip-hop fanatics often have a love affair with ultramagnetic mc's more for what they represent than for the quality of their music. I agree they were lyricaly ahead of their time, but listening to their music today is not always as enjoyable as I expect from a piece of music.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

trickykid wrote:I might be wrong I feel hip-hop fanatics often have a love affair with ultramagnetic mc's more for what they represent than for the quality of their music. I agree they were lyricaly ahead of their time, but listening to their music today is not always as enjoyable as I expect from a piece of music.

I agree with this. Critical Beatdown is classic (canon, even), but I can take or leave the others.

I'd say the sum of

Sex Styles
Black Elvis
Dr. Dooom
Dr. Octagon

is better than the sum of the first three Ultramag albums.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

see i can listen to four horseman today and still dig it. critical beatdown was a classic. it always will be a classic. but it will be a classic that i dont care to revisit besides an occasional joint here or there. four hourseman had so many ill tracks. two brothers with checks, raise it up, checking my style, Saga of Dandy, The Devil & Day, yo black were all exceptional joints. this album still bangs. as much as heads criticize their lyrical content i can peep this now and still get into it. the shit that made peopel not like tem then is what is making me love it now.

As far as de la i have never been a fan. they have a track here or there i like but they put me to sleep. i own none of their albums and probably never will. buhloone mindstate is their best to me but even runs its course and eventually sedates me.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

The beat on Raise it Up is truly incredible.
But BMS takes it.

Are there Instrumentals for four horsemen?

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

dE lA dE lA dE lA....

I know raise it up and 2 bros with checks were on singles off 4H. Not sure about any other instrus.