DSD:A Tribe Called Quest/Wu-Tang Clan

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Enter the 36 Chambers.
63%
Midnight Marauders.
37%

Total votes: 81

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

PopsUK wrote:MM is a fantastic album, but it was a "more of the same" record, and Tribe didn't sound unique around that time.
personally I think it is quite a lot different from Low end Theory and their debut , a lot more polished and a much slicker vibe. can't think of any other 93 album that sounds like it either, I would say it makes almost all other albums from 93 sound dated (not that that's a bad thing in hip hop terms). it's just not a 'revolutionary' album like 36 chambers

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

djfilthyrich wrote:Both albums are great, but the sound / styles are different: jazzy-conscious vs. raw-gangsta. I personally like the gritty hip hop more, which is why I chose Wu. I rank that album in my top five all time.
Some best of '93 hip hop around (from one of, if not the top year of all time). I usually prefer a more hardcore sound as well but am basing my thoughts on just these two records.
vaporized2 wrote:Personally I think it is quite a lot different from Low End Theory and their debut , a lot more polished and a much slicker vibe. Can't think of any other '93 album that sounds like it either, I would say it makes almost all other albums from '93 sound dated (not that that's a bad thing in hip hop terms). It's just not a "revolutionary" album like 36 Chambers.
:cheers: Well said. Both are classic but Midnight Marauders does seem to be slightly more timeless just in terms of the aging process. Yeah, exactly. I think that's tripping people up. If we were just talking about which is more influential or who had a bigger impact, that's one thing. I like how each has its strengths though.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Midnight Marauders does not have any kind of extraordinary timeless quality to it. It's just recorded louder. Where do you people come up with this horseshit?

Thun

Post by Thun »

I also just cannot respect the opinion of anyone who thinks that Midnight Marauders is better than PITPOR.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, the debut has always easily been my favorite / most played. And I would put Low End Theory above this one as well, like what Verge said, goin' chronologically. The forum collectively seems to think the reverse though.
Thun wrote:Midnight Marauders does not have any kind of extraordinary timeless quality to it. It's just recorded louder. Where do you people come up with this horseshit?
Don't know if this is addressing me or vaporized but since I used the word timeless when responding to him, I'll clarify what I was saying. Can't really speak for him but I think he was saying it was ahead of its time. I was just saying between the two, when compared with Wu's album, more people seem to be going back to Tribe's album twenty years later. Timeless probably isn't the word I wanted. I stand by the point I was attempting to make though.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

^ yeah I would agree timeless is the nearest word to it, if not the actual word... it's an opinion but most people seem to agree on that one

as for 'recorded louder' I'm not sure where to begin. that's not something that would have any effect on the actual music/beats/mc's, don't know what Thun means

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

vaporized2 wrote: as for 'recorded louder' I'm not sure where to begin. that's not something that would have any effect on the actual music/beats/mc's, don't know what Thun means
a poor recording level on an album can have a tangible effect on how one would rate the overall record...

gangstarrs 'daily op.' is a perfect example...it gets overlooked quite a bit in their catalog because of the poor recording level...'moment of truth' on the other hand is one of the loudest best "sounding" albums ever recorded and it gets a definite lift from that as far as how its perceived

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

It can have a superficial effect, agreed. But not one that turns an everyday album into a timeless classic. MM is not an especially 'loud' album in any case IMO. Weird argument... I'm out. :arrow:

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Tribe wins this easily for me based on lasting memories, enjoyment, and anticipation back then. I picked it up that day and saw 36 Chambers on the shelf but didn't even think to buy it until 2 months after it dropped. There were so many good albums to listen to back then that an album as great as 36 Chambers could be an afterthought for a couple of months.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

:wutang:

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

OH Shit!

How you asking me to choose between these 2? :megaman:

Both have aged insanely well, both excellent in different ways.

I voted Wu as I'll always love anything Wu related circa 93-97 but Midnight Marauders is a perfect album.

I could talk for ever on this but always end up running round in circles, 2 perfect examples of Hip Hop.