The Official Guess What I Just Bought Thread

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

kartman

Post by kartman »

Wicked wrote:Yo kartman, that Das Efx and Pete Rock & CL Smooth 12" singles look like represses. Why settle for those??? It's not hard to find the originals. Represses are wack.
Since I own the origina albums on cd and/or vinyl, I didn't care about the represses. I guess I should had checked the originals, but it was a mass order from ughh, shipping costs are too expensive for me and I prefered to buy the represses..

-Bruce-

Post by -Bruce- »

Private Investigators -Re-Act Like Ya Knew
10 Degrees Below - Keep On
Metabolics - The M-Virus

Marian

Post by Marian »

One of the last purchases:
The Zone - Jazzy Phunkadelphia / Don't Need A Gatt (Groove Control Recordings, 1996)
I have this release on tape, and it includes remix of "Jazzy Phunkadelphia" :gyeah:

deerhunta

Post by deerhunta »

Marian wrote:One of the last purchases:
The Zone - Jazzy Phunkadelphia / Don't Need A Gatt (Groove Control Recordings, 1996)
I have this release on tape, and it includes remix of "Jazzy Phunkadelphia" :gyeah:
there is also a 12" with the remix on it.

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

deerhunta wrote:
there is also a 12" with the remix on it.
Was about to mention the same.
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Verge

Post by Verge »

Finally caved and copped the DOOM Special Herbs 10LP package. :gyeah:
And my rent is overdue and I don't have it yo. The idiocy of a music fiend. Priorities.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Verge wrote:Finally caved and copped the DOOM Special Herbs 10LP package. :gyeah:
And my rent is overdue and I don't have it yo. The idiocy of a music fiend. Priorities.
I can relate - with school and work I have had little time to go through this stack. Doesn't stop me from copping like a crackhead though...

Biggest pickup lately has been completing my Da Nabahood Threat collection with the Off Witcha Head 12". :fiend:

Edit: Other recent buys:

Mad Flava - Point Blank
Rhyme Fest - How We Chill
A.B.U. Nation - Get Lifted
Major Stress - More and More
Da Team - Cash & Riches
YLKC - Menace To The Mic

Let me know what you want upped! :cheers:

kartman

Post by kartman »

Verge wrote:Finally caved and copped the DOOM Special Herbs 10LP package. :gyeah:
I'm SO fucking jealous :(

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

After long hunting finally i got luck:

Buda Hedz - If ya Swing Ep (1995) x 2 , i can trade one of the copies. If some one feels he has good trade for that contact me.
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

A month or two back, I sold 8 crates worth of records - the family is growing, so I needed to clear out my studio to make a bedroom for one of my kids, and being a Dad has left little time to DJ, so that's kinda taken a back seat. Still, it didn't stop me from copping a couple of 12"s I missed over the years:

* Real Live - 'The Turnaround' Promo 12" which has the Thug Remix featuring Tragedy & Capone

* Powerule - 'Bright Lights, Big City' / 'Well Connected' 12"

Both relatively cheap and both mint.

mamli

Post by mamli »

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

C. Boogie Brown - One Deep Tonight 12"
HDM - No Nice Timez 12"

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Mark 563 wrote:A month or two back, I sold 8 crates worth of records - the family is growing, so I needed to clear out my studio to make a bedroom for one of my kids, and being a Dad has left little time to DJ, so that's kinda taken a back seat. Still, it didn't stop me from copping a couple of 12"s I missed over the years:

* Real Live - 'The Turnaround' Promo 12" which has the Thug Remix featuring Tragedy & Capone

The Turnaround Thug Remix is 110% dopeness, what would you consider relatively cheap? I think I overpaid for it.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

shadowmaster wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:A month or two back, I sold 8 crates worth of records - the family is growing, so I needed to clear out my studio to make a bedroom for one of my kids, and being a Dad has left little time to DJ, so that's kinda taken a back seat. Still, it didn't stop me from copping a couple of 12"s I missed over the years:

The Turnaround Thug Remix is 110% dopeness, what would you consider relatively cheap? I think I overpaid for it.
I love that remix as well. I think its worth about $10 but would pay double that if I had to. Much better than alot of the $300 random rap records that are sold on discogs and ebay every day. :hooray:

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I probably did overpay, but a mint version turned up on discogs one night and at 5am I thought fuck it, it's mine.

I don't understand the rareness is dope crowd, or an excuse to inflate the price by 1000%.

I will pay extra if I love the record but that's my only criteria, not because it's rare.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

problem is if you want a dope rare record haha

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Yep, very true.

That's a bitch.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

There are so many great random records in the 10-20 dollar range it's crazy - no real reason to drop $800 on a North Bronx Alliance test pressing or Brainwash 2000 12" in my opinion unless you feel they are more essential then say 40 $20 records.

Some quick suggestions:
M.C.M. ג€“ Powermoves
Down N' Dirty Tribe ג€“ Inna Cipher bw Mindtrix
E Bros ג€“ A Toast bw Harlemites
Da King & I ג€“ Tears (Remix)
Last Emperor ג€“ Bums bw Monumental & Secret Wars Part 1

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Big Noyd's Recognize & Realise pt1 and others are dirt cheap too.

Loads out there, I admit having something super rare AND dope is nice, but I could never justify the crazy prices some people pay unless I had money to burn.

And all the blogs and scene groups and TROY help a lot, so at least you get to hear the stuff you haven't heard before or don't own, or haven't heard for many years. That's a major plus.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

diggy64 wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:

I love that remix as well. I think its worth about $10 but would pay double that if I had to. Much better than alot of the $300 random rap records that are sold on discogs and ebay every day. :hooray:
A while back I had seen it listed on ebay, by another seller for $25, which (with shipping to Australia) I felt was more than I wanted to pay at the time.

More recently, I'd decided I needed it in my collection and saw it on ebay for $8 or $9. I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm a sucker for Promo only 12"s, and have a decent, sizable collection of them, and have been known to pay some relatively high prices for them. But at the same time, i have most of the cheaper essentials covered also.

STAM

Post by STAM »

diggy64 wrote: M.C.M. ג€“ Powermoves
thiz shit iz so fuckin good........ i really enjoy this tune. many many blunts & times with mcm on stereo.... one of the best for me from UK :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

last week:
LL Cool J - Phenomonon 2xLP
Big Pun - Punish Me
Down Street Playaz - Down & Dangerous

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

The Shark - It's Over bw Heavy Hitters (thanks to waxorcism - good dude)

Lyrical Gymnastics

Post by Lyrical Gymnastics »

Cella Dwellas - Perfect Match / Hold U Down 12"

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

tomorrow i'm going out shopping for wax as i'm getting my first turntable in like 10 years in a few days. right now i got a pleasant package in my mail-box containing a few CDs (not all that i ordered, i guess they will send the rest in a few days. anyway:

KRS-One/Showbiz - "Godsville" (i actually pre-ordered this and they sent it to me first now LOL)

Miles Davis - "Round About Midnight" (w. Coltrane, Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones, etc.)

Miles Davis - "Someday My Prince Will Come" (w. Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly, etc.)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Between Nothingness & Eternity" (this was the last album needed to complete the three official albums virtuoso jazz guitarist John McLaughlin released with the original Mahavishnu that had incredible drummer Billy Cobham, bassist Rick Laird, keybardist Jan Hammer and electric violinist Jerry Goodman - y'all should check these guys out if you haven't, fantastic jazz/rock/spiritual fusion music from the '70s).
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

ATC - IV Da Nonbelievers EP (1992)

Now you aren't the only one with a copy MadHuman. :cheers:

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

diggy64 wrote:ATC - IV Da Nonbelievers EP (1992)

Now you aren't the only one with a copy MadHuman. :cheers:
Nice LP :)

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

too bad i don't have a camera but went shopping for wax for the first time in years since i got my turntable yesterday. i bought a bunch of jazz albums and some hip-hop 12" singles cuz the place i was diggin' at didn't have many hip hop albums at all on vinyl.

^ Mahavishnu Orchestra w. John McLaughlin's three first studio albums, amazing music. Kinda rock-blues-jazz, McLaughlin is without question one of the best guitar players of all time. these records have been sampled alot in hip hop too.

^ Weather Report is probably the most sampled jazz/fusion group ever i would imagine. never heard these two albums before but they were nice, Wayne Shorter is a beast on sax and Zawinul is a master keyboard player.

A Herbie Hancock studio album from 1979, i haven't listned to this yet but i would imagine it's a fusion between jazz and funk plus Herbie is always nice.

and the 12" records I bought were:

Pitch Black - "What You Gonna Do" / "Revenge"
[produced by Marley Marl / DJ Premier]

LL Cool J - "Strictly Business"
(1991) [prod. Marley Marl, non album track]

Mr. Len - "What The Fuck?!" / "Straight"
(featuring Mr. Live / Q-Unique of The Arsonists)

Little Vic - "The Exorcist"
[prod. by DJ Premier]

The Game Ft. NaS & Marsha - "Why You Hate The Game"?
[Promo copy: Produced by Just Blaze]
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Lyrical Gymnastics

Spontaneous - Waterproof / Worldwide 12" (1997)
Akinyele - Thug Shit 12" (1997)
The Temptations - Puzzle People 12"
Ohio Players - Fire 12"

Lyrical Gymnastics

+

Cru - Lisa Lipps / Wreckognize 12"

Champain - Corruption Everyday / Ghetto Tunez 12"