vinyl ripping

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

godmc

vinyl ripping

Post by godmc »

soopacee wrote:let me know how these next couple vinyl rips turned out....i was gettin alot of HUM noise outta it.....anyone know how to avoid it?
i've had the same problem; and i've got a load of stuff i want to rip, but i hate that damned high-pitched whateverthefuck noise. sum1 plz xplain kthx. seriously though, i've tinkered with the fucker for hours to no avail.

sajr

Post by sajr »

Sounds like the turntable is'nt grounded

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

yup..try to attach them to a different plug then for example your mixer or speakers

godmc

Post by godmc »

i've actually tried a couple plugs and fucked with the speakers and levels. nothing has worked. the table works, but goddamn that sound. it makes me want to explode innocent people.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

hm what mixer do you have? i had an ecler hak 360 once that produced a fuckin hum noise and i had to un-screw the inner ground wire in the mixer to eliminate the hum

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

You might want to post this same exact thread in Funky Technicians. Those nerds haven't failed me yet. Maybe they can help you solve this problem too.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

dilla_dog

Post by dilla_dog »

Could be you soundcard aswell.

You need good turntable, good needle, good wires, good mixer, good soundcard and a good recording program.

godmc

Post by godmc »

pff, i don't even remember the name of it - basically it's a piece of shit. right now i'm running a laptop, shitty no-name mixer and the turntable. i don't know shit for jack about the dj'ing world. i just like to observe it. as far as grabbing jawns off vinyl... i'm all for it; and that noise is impeding on my happiness.

any good software downloads for a mixer?

godmc

Post by godmc »

Cleanhobo wrote:You might want to post this same exact thread in Funky Technicians. Those nerds haven't failed me yet. Maybe they can help you solve this problem too.
good call - i'll wait until t.r.o.y. fails me before i make that journey. i really don't want t.r.o.y. to fail me.

Ho1ogramz

Post by Ho1ogramz »

Didn't you tell me you're using a Numark USB turntable? Doesn't come with a mixer...
"The sweetest Revolutionary."

godmc

Post by godmc »

i'm talking about "general software" on my computer. tinkering with shit. i'm not at all knowledgable on that specific subject, at all to the max. anyway, that's not the point. i need that goddamn sound to go away - mixer or not. thanks for the suggestions.

note: i'm not using the two input and output cables. i'm just using the usb directly into the laptop - that's it. i don't need those cables, but am curious if that could be the problem.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

well the hum noise comes definately from a not properly grounded piece of hardware.. but yeah could be the needle, the cable, the pc case (if its steel)

godmc

Post by godmc »

no steel - and it's not the needle because the noise occurs simply when i turn it on once connected to the pc.

godmc

Post by godmc »

IT MUST BE THE CABLE.

tape maniak

Post by tape maniak »

Well , actually you can try with the counterweight (make sure it`s on the right line), hopefully it help you.it`s possible to be the needle.
Last edited by tape maniak on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

hmm can you upload a mp3 with the noise your talking about?

i think its either your soundcard or your needle.. cause, i rip all my vinyl to pc and never have a hum or anything...

What program do you use to rip? do you rip it in mono or stereo?

godmc

Post by godmc »

thanks for the additional suggestions! i'll look into it this evening.

bosmann, i use ezvinylblahsomething - i'm terrible with reading about anything or paying attention to what i'm actually using. i generally just figure shit out and that works well for me. this is a real assfuck though. also, i believe i chose to rip in stereo. i really am awful at paying attention to what i'm doing.

side note: i've actually let the needle sit on its clip and i've popped it off and on both occasions - that noise raped my hopes.

ps - go back a page or two and i posted a song i recently acquired. i'll see if i can find it and i'll bump it up to the first page.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

aargh that ezvinyl ripper is a bitch...

you can better use audacity, so you can lower the cracks and pops, noise etc. before converting it to wav or mp3..

hmm i heard that track now and i really think its the needle element..
otherwise i have no idea..thanks for the song btw and that earthquake one to :cheers: good luck

bad-cop

Post by bad-cop »

I also believe it's the needles. I get that humming noise some times on my technics when the cartride isn'r properly fitted to the tone arm. It's usually fine if I unscrew the cartridge and put it back.

Is your needle changeble or is it fitted as part of the tone arm?

Doubt you need to ground USB kit!?

is it something similar to this you have: http://www.numark.com/ttusb ?
Bad Cop mixes & music: https://www.mixcloud.com/badcop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & http://soundcloud.com/bad-cop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

godmc

Post by godmc »

bad-cop wrote:I also believe it's the needles. I get that humming noise some times on my technics when the cartride isn'r properly fitted to the tone arm. It's usually fine if I unscrew the cartridge and put it back.

Is your needle changeble or is it fitted as part of the tone arm?

Doubt you need to ground USB kit!?

is it something similar to this you have: http://www.numark.com/ttusb ?
that's exactly what i have.

godmc

Post by godmc »

i think i figured it out! i had zero gain.

godmc

Post by godmc »

okay... so as i said: there was zero gain. once i bumped it up, there wasn't any more humming - yay. HOWEVER, upon further investigation, i found there was a very faint, almost inaudible humming that would go something like this hum-silence-silence-hum-silence-silence-hum... and so on and so forth. now, you really had to listen hardcore to pick it up. i decided to dig a little deeper... and what i found was after turning the volume all the way up - everything was all good, but after turning the wave all the way up. the sound was there like a motherfucker and constant. i popped the needle out and the sound was still there, and then reducing the wave to 50% eliminated the sound. i would like the volume to be louder , but that means i'd have to increase the wave... WHY HAS GOD FORESAKEN ME.

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

embrace the static, hum, hissing and all that.....gives ya recordings character....

godmc

Post by godmc »

RAZAH CUTZ wrote:embrace the static, hum, hissing and all that.....gives ya recordings character....
excellent point.

Verge

Post by Verge »

:shit:
Am I the only dumb ass dinosaur ripping like this?-
1. Turntable to mid 90's Gemini[falling apart] mixer.
2. From mixer, signal travels to outboard Sony CD burner onto CD.
3. Then, from CD to computer, no programs or anything.

This is obviously time consuming, but works for me. Aside from the fact that my vinyls come out sounding low in volume on the computer.

I've thought about getting a USB turntable and upgrading to digital mixer.
But my concern is that I don't want to lose a lot of the dirt if I sample through a digital mixer.

Does this make sense? Should I stick with what I'm doing and maybe just get a program to Normalize my vinyl rips?
Thanks.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

i have a soundblaster x-fi with the 5.25" rack where you can hookup rca's so i hooked up my setup there .. recording with cool edit pro and editing after for the volume.. its easy hehe

godmc

Post by godmc »

i actually fixed my shit. i just have my wave around 50% or bit more depending on the original volume/sound quality and rip it directly to my itunes via the converter. that way i don't have to edit, unless there is some serious time before the tracks kicks in. that beats going through the hassle verge. i mean, i have a turntable, but the usb i use strictly for ripping - you don't even need a mixer (well, maybe the most basic digital one). it's a lot easier than going through a rip, to a burn, to a computer, verge.

Verge

Post by Verge »

godmc wrote:i actually fixed my shit. i just have my wave around 50% or bit more depending on the original volume/sound quality and rip it directly to my itunes via the converter. that way i don't have to edit, unless there is some serious time before the tracks kicks in. that beats going through the hassle verge. i mean, i have a turntable, but the usb i use strictly for ripping - you don't even need a mixer (well, maybe the most basic digital one). it's a lot easier than going through a rip, to a burn, to a computer, verge.
Yea, I think I'll try and cop a USB turntable and keep it separate from my
other setup. Thanks.

crank that sambo

Post by crank that sambo »

ty for this thread... I'm tryna rip vinyl myself but the shit always fucks up. I'm usin a USB turntable but no matter what I crank the recording volume to it always gets distorted... is it the soundcard? It's stock...

godmc

Post by godmc »

did it come with software? all i can say is to turn your wave volume down to around 60% and check to see if there's a gain gauge - and turn that up. otherwise, i'm retarded on the subject.