Guilty Pleasures (Ill Al Skratch/Shyheim)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Guilty Pleasures (Ill Al Skratch/Shyheim)

Post by Philaflava »

Click the link to read the entire article including all downloading links

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... sures.html
A few months ago I shared with you my security blanket, this month I'm going to share with you some of my guilty pleasures.

Everyone has a few albums in their collection they've been questioned for liking or you might even question it yourself. Maybe it's an album that received lukewarm reviews or an album you flat out know is bad. Maybe it's an album most people have grown out but regardless you still appreciate the fuck out of it.

I have a few of these in my collection and I have no problem admitting they are some of my most listened to albums. The first one is what I like to think of as the ultimate summertime soundtrack. Ill and Al were far from dope lyricists but they had swagger and even though this album only has 12 songs, it centers around three standout tracks and the rest were either remixes or they switched some of the lyrics around to make them appear like different tracks.

I remember hearing "Where My Homiez?" (click for video) play constantly on Yo! MTV Raps and every time I'd have to stop what I was doing to watch it. When I said Creep Wit Me was a great summertime album I meant it.

Whether you took a ride down Fulton Street or A1A this was the ultimate backdrop. I distinctly remember taking those late-night trips to Denny's with the crew after a night of partying & bullshit. I remember the weekend excursions to the beaches rockin' the Nike visor cap (as seen worn by Al in the video) that became popular in the summer of '94 or how right before a game of b-ball we'd get amped to "Creep With Me" (title track) because the Snoop sample was the definition of perfection. I remember making the quintessential date night mixtape that had both "Summertime (It's All Good)" and "I'll Take Her" featuring Brian McKnight on there.

Yeah, Ill Al Scratch were the shit and Creep Wit Me is my guilty pleasure for sure.
For part 2 and links http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... sures.html

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

great post and good selection,
i never had problems to listen those 2 albums to the fullest
:cheers:

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

Nothing guilty about that at all. Rocking the leather jumpsuit might be though. There were some real classic joints on there. And they were the shit back then. Same goes for Shyheim. Which is the guiltiest pleasure- Shyheim, Da Youngstas or Illegal?

Not sure of guilty pleasure LPs but I always liked Smooth - "You Been Played" though not as much today. "Who's the Flavor" by Ali Dee and throw in some YBT joints- "Tap the Bottle" and "Roll with the Flavor."

Kurious "Constipated Monkey" is one of my favorite LPs of all time. Not sure if that's a guilty pleasure. More like a security blanket.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nobody else has some guilty pleasures? da youngsta is a good call.

but that kurious album if nothing at all to be ashamed about.

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

Philaflava wrote: but that kurious album if nothing at all to be ashamed about.
You are absolutely correct. It's more that when I put CM in my top 5 people look at me like I'm nuts.

A more recent guilty pleasure is Cam- especially when dealing with true hiphop heads, i.e. everybody here presumably. That dude is hilarious and I always look forward to his music. Purple Haze is my shit as well as joints he's done throughout his entire career. Dipset too when he was a part of it. The content was/is always real ignorant but the beat selection was always on point. The new Crime Pays seems to be veering a bit too midwest for me, but certain joints sound good. Killa.

kimani

Post by kimani »

A bunch of West Coast stuff, like Ahmad's eponymous album, some backpacker stuff, and of course the dreaded high priced uberrare indie vinyls! Guess it depends on how high your standards are when deciding what is a "guilty pleasure".
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'm waiting for somebody to man up and say UMCs or heavy d or something
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

drizzle wrote:i'm waiting for somebody to man up and say UMCs or heavy d or something
:rofl: at your crazy sig drizzle, I liked both UMC's albums and there is nothing wrong with Fruits of Nature at all, I like Heavy D too, have all of the Heavy D & The Boys albums.

tacolopez

Post by tacolopez »

a few cds...DFC-Things in Tha Hood, Boss-Born Gangstaz, Candyman-Aint No Shame in My...,Sir Mix A Lot-Swass, and Downtown Science.

Single...Highland Place Mobsters (Dallas Austin group)-N.A.K.E.D. and US3-Cantaloop

step one

Post by step one »

Warren G's first album, Boss 'Born Gangstaz', South Central Cartel 'N Gazt We Trust'...

i used to go heavy on the West Coast & G Funk stuff !
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Big up Heavy D.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

tacolopez wrote:a few cds...DFC-Things in Tha Hood, Boss-Born Gangstaz, Candyman-Aint No Shame in My...,Sir Mix A Lot-Swass, and Downtown Science.

Single...Highland Place Mobsters (Dallas Austin group)-N.A.K.E.D. and US3-Cantaloop
DFC=great album
Boss=great album
Candyman=pass
Sir Mix A Lot=mostly good
Downtown Science=dope

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

drizzle wrote:i'm waiting for somebody to man up and say UMCs or heavy d or something
You're crazy as hell, Blue Funk is an alltime classic for me. No shame in that.

My guilty pleasures...hmm......Bel Biv Devoe-Above the Rim comes to mind.....Wrex-N-Effect...Kool Moe Dee-"Rise and Shine"..."energy rap" sh!t I used to jam out to when I was little...still do.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah UMC is nothing to be ashamed about. Not even Unleashed.

tacolopez

Post by tacolopez »

ones mans "guilty" pleasure another mans treasure...in reality most mentioned are treasures in some form or fashion to someone and to me thats all the really counts.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

i have no clue why the majority of these would be considered guilty pleasures

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

For me "Where My Homiez" wasn't exactly a well-received album. It's kinda half-assed with a few hit singles and the rest real sloppy shit. The lyrics are corny and contrived, yet I fucking love the shit out of it.

Howfresh

Post by Howfresh »

I think "Where My Homiez" might be frowned upon now with it's sing-songyness and lack of lyrical skills. But when it dropped pretty much everybody was feeling it. And it was cool to do shit like that. "I'll Take Her" is my shit too. Once R&B hooks became the status quo in the late 90s, people got turned off to it, but this was dope back then, and still is today. Flex jacked it on his "Tunnel" lp with Mary J. over it. A dope beat is a dope beat.

There weren't as many sub-genres as there are today and the majority of joints that dropped and made it to heavy rotation were generally accepted. The pool was so much smaller.

And UMCs was the shit back then. That album was dope. Same goes for Heavy D's Blue Funk. He had joints on every album though Peaceful Journey I can see as a GP.

Without sounding like an asshole, if you didn't grow up with an album and hear it years later in a completely different climate it's easy to dismiss it due to sounding dated or not as evolved. The same way we might have rocked styles that look terrible today, we still appreciate that shit.

tacolopez

Post by tacolopez »

after sleeping on it....why should I feel guilty for listening to something that I like so I take back my list little list. In fact I will go one step further...I like all types of shit...A-Ha-Take On Me, Nu Shooz-I Cant Wait, Foghat-Smoke on The Water, Grease Soundtrack, etc etc etc...how many people would admit that? Just because I listen to hip hip for the last 25 years should I feel "guilty" about admitting that I like just about all types of music? Music to me is about memories and brining those memories back and to me if you geel guilty then maye you feel guilty about your life and in hindsight I have no guilt about anything in my life. Its my life and all types of music have been apart of it and for that I am not guilty.

Now everyone can tell me to shut up....anyone for Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy? Im outtie

tacolopez

Post by tacolopez »

and to be clear I dont mean to make light of this thread as I understand the reason behind...no disrespect intended to the author.

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

wow fuck if stuff like ill al skratch and youngstas counts as guilty secrets then Im in trouble, ....

bloodhound gang - use your fingers / one fierce beer coaster
shaquille o'neale - shaq-fu: da return
brian austin green - one stop carnival
goldie lookin chain - safe as fuck
wolfpac - something wicked this way comes

Ill stop there :megaman:

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

most of the shit you guys have listed here as "guilty pleasures" shouldn't be listed as such! At least for me I never had shame listening to them. LOL.

Now, how about some shit like Skee-Lo's "I Wish". That's a guilty pleasure! And I admit it's still in my ipod and every time it plays in my car on random play I sit back, reminisce on the good ol' days. I'm from the west coast and that shit came out when i was a young'n playin ball for my middle school and I loved that joint and still do. What's weird though is that even back then when it came out I felt like it was a guilty pleasure and didn't want my friends to know that i actually liked the joint. Haha

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

tacolopez wrote:after sleeping on it....why should I feel guilty for listening to something that I like so I take back my list little list. In fact I will go one step further...I like all types of shit...A-Ha-Take On Me, Nu Shooz-I Cant Wait, Foghat-Smoke on The Water, Grease Soundtrack, etc etc etc...how many people would admit that? Just because I listen to hip hip for the last 25 years should I feel "guilty" about admitting that I like just about all types of music? Music to me is about memories and brining those memories back and to me if you geel guilty then maye you feel guilty about your life and in hindsight I have no guilt about anything in my life. Its my life and all types of music have been apart of it and for that I am not guilty.

Now everyone can tell me to shut up....anyone for Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy? Im outtie
cool taco, you know when I was a boy I was the biggest A-Ha fan, I wore leather around my wrists and neck (just like Morton did) and honestly thrashed their first album until the tape was broken as shit, I also made up an A-Ha magazine with pictures cut out of magazines.

I also had a huge thing for Madonna, aside from Hip Hop I really like The Strokes, Bloc Party, Steve Earle, Bruce Springsteen and many others, but Hip Hop is and always will be my first true love.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

On the kiddie rap tip, I actually thoroughly enjoy the following joints:

* Illegal 'The Untold Truth'
* Jamal 'Last chance, No Breaks'
* Chi Ali 'The Fabulous...'
* Da Youngstas 'The Aftermath'
* Vicious 'Destination Brooklyn'
* Shyhiem 'AKA The Rugged Child'

step one

Post by step one »

if we're going to other genres then i listen to alot of old house & garage (pianos & diva vocals, the lot) - alot of that stuff is super cheesy but its got that nostalgia value attached to it for me.

one the way to work this morning I had a mix CD I made with some 80s soul on it:

Haywood 'Roses'
Pointer Sisters 'Dare Me'
Michael McDonald 'Sweet Freedom'
Change 'Change Of Heart'
Teena Marie 'Square Biz'

fuck yeah!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

tacolopez

Post by tacolopez »

Jaz wrote:
tacolopez wrote:after sleeping on it....why should I feel guilty for listening to something that I like so I take back my list little list. In fact I will go one step further...I like all types of shit...A-Ha-Take On Me, Nu Shooz-I Cant Wait, Foghat-Smoke on The Water, Grease Soundtrack, etc etc etc...how many people would admit that? Just because I listen to hip hip for the last 25 years should I feel "guilty" about admitting that I like just about all types of music? Music to me is about memories and brining those memories back and to me if you geel guilty then maye you feel guilty about your life and in hindsight I have no guilt about anything in my life. Its my life and all types of music have been apart of it and for that I am not guilty.

cool taco, you know when I was a boy I was the biggest A-Ha fan, I wore leather around my wrists and neck (just like Morton did) and honestly thrashed their first album until the tape was broken as shit, I also made up an A-Ha magazine with pictures cut out of magazines.

I also had a huge thing for Madonna, aside from Hip Hop I really like The Strokes, Bloc Party, Steve Earle, Bruce Springsteen and many others, but Hip Hop is and always will be my first true love.
Word!...seems too often many people think hip hop is all there is so its always nice to here other people have other interests outside of the genre. Ive made myself a personal 40 cd collection full of all types of 80's songs minus hip hop and am up to 20 for the 90's but like you said hip hop will always be #1.

Would kill to see the leather though!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Mark 563 wrote:On the kiddie rap tip, I actually thoroughly enjoy the following joints:

* Illegal 'The Untold Truth'
* Jamal 'Last chance, No Breaks'
* Chi Ali 'The Fabulous...'
* Da Youngstas 'The Aftermath'
* Vicious 'Destination Brooklyn'
* Shyhiem 'AKA The Rugged Child'
no love for killa kids?

1 way is the jam

i cosign the shaq too, BIOLOGICAL DIDN'T BOTHER son what. i maintain that he actually got better through the years, there's a marked improvement in his later rapping attempts. and 'you know i got skillz' song is classic as fuck

jaz is the last person i expected to like bloc party
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

To this day, "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody" by Kid 'n' Play puts me in a great mood. Homotastic.

PTS

Post by PTS »

I remember playing Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise (the album, not the song) more than I should when it dropped.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:i have no clue why the majority of these would be considered guilty pleasures
i agree.

guilty pleasures is britney spears and artists like that, vanilla ice, mc hammer.... but most examples here are not guilty pleasures...

but i stick up with a topic and say i like brian austin green album, because of that pharcyde atmpsphere :lol: