Which is the better album, Enta da Stage or Dah Shinin?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

stype_ones

Which is the better album, Enta da Stage or Dah Shinin?

Post by stype_ones »

With all these shows BCC has been doing lately, performing both albums in their entirety, it has me thinking back to 10th and 11th grade, and trying to figure out which is the better album between the 2. Upon first thought, I usually think Enta da Stage, but I actually think that Dah Shinin is the better album all around. Maybe I am crazy. In any event, both are in my personal top 25 of all time for sure. How do you guys feel, which album do you think is or like better?

vs

plug4

Re: Which is the better album, Enta da Stage or Dah Shinin?

Post by plug4 »

EarForGoodMusic

Post by EarForGoodMusic »

plug4 wrote:Image

tape maniak

Post by tape maniak »

Both , but prefer Da Shinin

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

...but only by a slight margin. I feel like Da Beatminerz really hit their stride on this one and Tek & Steele's on-record chemistry is great.

I dunno; I guess I ultimately just enjoy listening to "Dah Shinin'" front-to-back more than so than "Enta Da Stage."

Tough decision, really. Both records are unparalleled classic efforts.

mud

Post by mud »

Echo Leader wrote:Image
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

nathansmart

Post by nathansmart »

as far as beats go Dah Shinin no question - have the beatminerz been half as good as they were then? I'm not thinking about what I'm typing here, but I'd say that Dah Shinin was the peak of the Boot Camp Click.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I would have to go with Dah Shinin. I love Enta Da Stage but the chemistry between Tek and Steele is amazing. The production is just as good if not better then Enta Da Stage. I wore this tape out in my walkman, I had to take out the reel and put it in another tape casing.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Dah Shinin' is a better album although Enta Da Stage might have the better singles.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Money Gripp wrote:Dah Shinin' is a better album although Enta Da Stage might have the better singles.
That is a good point. Enta da Stage def had the better singles, esp with the dope remixes and b-side gems.

Enta da Stage was also much more influential. The Source dropped the ball with the Feb 95 review of Dah Shinin tho, claiming it was just more of the same sound from Da Beatminerz and giving it a 3.5 (might have actually been 3 mics) mic rating back when mic ratings actually meant something. Bad job outta them.

godmc

Post by godmc »

I CAN'T MAKE A DECISION. PICKET FENCES.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Money Gripp wrote:Dah Shinin' is a better album although Enta Da Stage might have the better singles.
i was gonna write basically the exact same thing when i read this thread title. i prefer my favorite songs on "da shinin" to the ones on "enta da stage" but, overall, black moon's album is more consistant.
both great albums though, regardless.

Martin

Post by Martin »

dah shinin is one of my favorite albums of all time. gotta roll with that.

godmc

Post by godmc »

okay... decided. i'm going with dah shinin'. black moon's album has my favorite songs, though.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

smi-smi-smi-smi-smif n wesson.

nojiveturkey

Post by nojiveturkey »

Thats funny I was driving with Dah Shinin on today and in my mp3 player I was bumpin the Remix Diggin in the Vaults Album. Both are fresh. In terms of lyrical content I feel Dah Shinin is more diverse than Enta Da Stage. For production both albums are raw and gritty & dusty, but if u want dark & dusty production than u got dah shinin ; ). You cant have one without the other.
I dig the flaves

Requests
The Funk Farm - Pataphysical
The Funk Farm - The This Time Tape

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

pradadon wrote:
That is a good point. Enta da Stage def had the better singles, esp with the dope remixes and b-side gems.

Enta da Stage was also much more influential. The Source dropped the ball with the Feb 95 review of Dah Shinin tho, claiming it was just more of the same sound from Da Beatminerz and giving it a 3.5 (might have actually been 3 mics) mic rating back when mic ratings actually meant something. Bad job outta them.
That's ironic because Da Beatminerz production had a much different sound on Dah Shinin' compared to Enta Da Stage, at least to my ears. Much darker and sparse as well as a really heavy, foreboding atmosphere. "Bucktown" is the only beat that I could imagine being on the Black Moon album . The rest of it is on some other shit.

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

Enta da stage
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Money Gripp wrote:
pradadon wrote:

That's ironic because Da Beatminerz production had a much different sound on Dah Shinin' compared to Enta Da Stage, at least to my ears. Much darker and sparse as well as a really heavy, foreboding atmosphere. "Bucktown" is the only beat that I could imagine being on the Black Moon album . The rest of it is on some other shit.
I got all my magazines in the closet, but do not own a scanner at the moment. I will def upload many magazines here in a dope thread very soon. I remember exactly where I was on the Q43 reading that Feb 95 Source with Mc Eight on the cover, asking myself what the reviewer was thinking giving Dah Shinin anything less than 4 mics. To me it is 4.5 mics.

mamli

Post by mamli »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Yeah, good looking Joe Charles, you were fuckin clueless on this one. What a terrible review of a classic album. Like I said, I remember reading it and thinking wtf is this clown talking about?? LOL

Good looks for the post mamli, good shit..

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I will say this, as I am bumping Enta da Stage right now, this shit is mad grimey. LOL I love this shit. Dah Shinin is mad grimey too but is more polished than this.

BCC was no joke in the mid 90's and let us not forget about Heltah Skeltah's Nocturnal or to a lesser extent OGC's The Storm, both of which were solid albums.

Damn, it's like For the People really fucked them up or something.
Last edited by stype_ones on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mberon20

Post by mberon20 »

For me, it's way better Enta Da Stage (all songs are incredible, I like ALL), so Enta Da Stage.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Source sure were strict with those mics back then.

kato

Post by kato »

EarForGoodMusic wrote:

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

gotta be dah shinin

the points i've seen that make it easy for me to choose

1) height of bcc
2) that perfect, dark beatminerz sound that fits perfect in the 94-96 era
3) tek and steele work so well off each other

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

kato wrote:
EarForGoodMusic wrote:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

EarForGoodMusic wrote:

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Jaz wrote:
EarForGoodMusic wrote:

nathansmart

Post by nathansmart »

That review sounds like a blog entry more than a professional music magazine review - and, not that he's right about the album, but why is it a bad thing to be "Black Moon-like?" (especially when you're crew???)